Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Seeding torrents how long does it take?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Seeding torrents how long does it take?

Postby zbeast » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:02 pm

I recently uploaded to one of the more popular torrent sites 3 dvd's of Vogon Poetry I had written.
Two of the dvd's were about 3 gig's the last one was just over 4 gig.

I took about 7 day's till the torrent established itself and I didn't have the only seed.
On average there are about 6 peer's per dvd.
Yes I know Vogon Poetry's not everone's cup of tea but I was wondering if this kind of the
standard profile for a torrent upload.
It didn't take long before someone decided to start downloading it the the files but it
seem to take a while before I started seeing a second user start seeding.

I guess bit torrent try's to hold off as long as possible before establishing a new seeder.
because it seem to give more priority to new users that had less parts of the file rather than older
users who had more of the file.

The long low speed upload is partly my fault as the connect I was uploading from has a max data rate of about 50kB.s
Giving each upload only about 19kB/s

So is this normal... I usually don't care how long it take to get a file send..
I generally post and forget but these files I need to get up fast so I was just surprised how long it took.

A Watched pot never boils.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Re: Seeding torrents how long does it take?

Postby moka » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:16 pm

When I upload something to the private tracker I use, normally I get the torrent establishes itself mostly after 2 users have completed the file, because there are always some hit and run users(but they are punished), so it does not take long.

But I don't know about public trackers, probably you are lucky that it still has some seeds, because last time when I had checked my stats for a file on a public tracker, despite the fact that I had ratio between 8 and 9, and I was only seeding since 1 or 2 days, I was the only seed for the file.
moka

Re: Seeding torrents how long does it take?

Postby CHEEZOR » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Public trackers are fine. I have a torrent that I created on a public tracker and I seeded it for maybe a week. I dont use that site too much, so the other day when I searched there for something similar I was suprised to see it alive and well. It is now 2 years old.

Some people leech and others seed much more than they have to. It all works out. Also when you are "watching the pot" you will see people seed and run, but I think there is a lag sometimes when that happens and they will "come back" as soon as the tracker is updated. Many people also want to turn off their computers, but they wait for the download to get done and then turn it off, but they will probably continue seeding when they turn their computer back on later.

Public trackers would have no torrents if people didnt seed more than we all say they do.

zbeast, I could be wrong, but I believe that you are just experiecing a watched pot that never boils. Just be patient. :D
CHEEZOR

Return to BitTorrent