Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

AOL Broadband (UK) blocking BT?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

AOL Broadband (UK) blocking BT?

Postby ntscuser » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:49 pm

The company formerly known as AOL-UK, now owned by Carphone Warehouse. I'm unable to connect to a well-known tracker for more than a few seconds at a time yet the Torrent is well supported with over a hundred seeds and several hundred peers. An alternative tracker proved to be no better. My other filesharing apps such as eMule are running normally and Giganews reports no drop in speed so this is not simply bandwidth throttling. A fellow poster on AOL Broadband's message board claims he was told by an AOL rep that they were specifically targetting certain p2p apps but no-one has been able to confirm if that's true or not.

Before anyone asks I've had this AOL account for a very long time and until Carphone Warehouse took over had no issues with it at all.
ntscuser

Re: AOL Broadband (UK) blocking BT?

Postby Dazzle_2 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Our network is seeing the same issue with this ISP, wholesale blocking and throttling of P2P traffic.

http://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php/topic,7291.0.html

They go as far as actually blocking the client from connecting to the peer caches before any file transfers have even been thought of, this in my opinion is overstepping their self imposed remit to "manage" bandwidth this is pure and simple "service censorship" I hope you all join with me in condemning this type of activity that impacts indiscriminately on those who may just want to chat rather than swap files.

Talk Talk, AOL UK, aka Carphone wharehouse, enjoy the negative exposure of your poor service.
I guess this is part of the rumoured backdoor deals done with the content industry, despite all the big bravado about not acting as an "Internet policeman", it sure seems like it from here.
Dazzle_2

Postby lemonpie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Dazzle_2 wrote:Talk Talk, AOL UK, aka Carphone wharehouse, enjoy the negative exposure of your poor service.

I think you misspelled whorehouse
lemonpie

Postby ntscuser » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:26 pm

Thanks Dazzle_2. What I'm trying to determine is whether "AOL Broadband" is specifically blocking the BitTorrent protocol? I don't use BitTorrent that often or that heavily so was stunned when I found I could barely connect at all :shock:
I managed to download a sample of the same file via RapidShare with no problems at all although I did have to use Internet Explorer instead of AOL's own browser.
ntscuser

Postby lemonpie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:59 pm

On a more serious note, have you tried changing the port your client uses? Scheduling for the early hours might work too.
lemonpie

Postby ntscuser » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 pm

lemonpie wrote:On a more serious note, have you tried changing the port your client uses?
Yes, I've never used the default port in any case. Not behind a router either so no firewall issues.
lemonpie wrote:Scheduling for the early hours might work too.

EDIT: Yes, that appears to be it. The BT connection suddenly resumed at 1.10am our time for no apparent reason. I presume Carphone Warehouse is blocking the BT protocol outside of these hours? eMule also resumed around the same time but that is so slow anyway it's hard to tell if that was being blocked.

What annoys me is that I often need BT for small applications in the early evening and without them I'm often unable to continue using the PC for a particular task :evil:
ntscuser

Postby theclaw » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:51 pm

They've definitely been shaping BT traffic, i've had problems for about 3 months now. Seems ok overnight and at weekends at the moment. I've just cancelled my account with them after 3 years, bye bye whorehouse begone. :howdy:

Anyone recomend any UK ISP's?
theclaw

Postby Dazzle_2 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:40 pm

The best one for price and lack of throttling is Be, I,m on a BT line and its throttled to heck and also the same for BT business customers as well as being slower than the Be offering, Virgin also practice throttling.

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

I know of nothing better and when coverage is greater will be using them myself.
Dazzle_2

Postby Mcdon2401 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:14 am

Knew this would end up happening. When they (CW) took over AOL, they sent out an email to everyone letting them know that the previous unlimited service would become subject to a fair use policy. When I asked them about this, they only quoted a bit from their t&c's saying that there was no hard limit, but would be decided on a case by case basis. Have noticed for months that I can be having all sorts of problems getting a download to run, but then I can jump on my Xbox, and it works fine.

The main reason I started another account with AOL when I moved in with my g/f was because of the unlimited service, handy when you have a teenage daughter :) Unlimited service is going the same way as the claim for the speed of your line. There's a hell of a lot of small print to get them out of supplying what you think you're paying for.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt,

Then it's bloody hilarious :)

It is the mark of an educated mind, to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Mcdon2401

Postby rsrikanth05 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:29 am

yeah in India sometime back 7star Mumbai was blocking BT too...
rsrikanth05

Postby ntscuser » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:04 am

Mcdon2401 wrote:Knew this would end up happening. When they (CW) took over AOL, they sent out an email to everyone letting them know that the previous unlimited service would become subject to a fair use policy. When I asked them about this, they only quoted a bit from their t&c's saying that there was no hard limit, but would be decided on a case by case basis. Have noticed for months that I can be having all sorts of problems getting a download to run, but then I can jump on my Xbox, and it works fine.

The main reason I started another account with AOL when I moved in with my g/f was because of the unlimited service, handy when you have a teenage daughter :) Unlimited service is going the same way as the claim for the speed of your line. There's a hell of a lot of small print to get them out of supplying what you think you're paying for.
There's a hard cap of 60GB per month, averaged over a three-month period. Once that is exceeded you're put on their shitlist and restricted to about 2x dialup speed for much of the evening. To get off the shitlist you need to reduce your bandwidth usage to an average of below 30GB for at least three months. This is for older AOL subscribers. Newer subscribers are restricted to much lower limits, as low as 10GB per month.
ntscuser

Postby aizurd » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 am

I'm with sky at the moment, there a bit pricey but they don't throttle. though I plan to go back to beunlimited when my contracts up next month.
aizurd

Return to BitTorrent