Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Why are files reposted on Mininova?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Why are files reposted on Mininova?

Postby NYTReader » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but I have noted that when really popular titles are first posted on Mininova that what appear to be duplicates of the file are quickly reposted.

For example, BestDivX's DVDRip of Iron Man[*] was recently posted. At the time of this post there are 16 different torrents for this listed on Mininova, http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=+Iron+Man+DVDRip. All have the same file size, the same file structure (2 CD's rar'd in 48 parts each), were posted shortly after one another (between Thu, 04 Sep 2008, 21:00 and Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:00 +0200). The only differences I can see are in the exact name of the file, the occasional addition of a description file, and the info hash (some are also on private trackers).

Is this one person posting the same file, and if so why the duplicates? And if this is multiple posters why are they bothering?

[*]Sorry for my early posting of the full name of the file
NYTReader

Re: Why are files reposted on Mininova?

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:33 pm

My guess is people report them with different/additional trackers.

Also, be wary of fakes.
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby NYTReader » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:57 am

What still does not make sense to me is that all of the torrents have at least one seed. Since I am pretty sure people are not downloading the entire thing that fast, it would seem that original seed (one person?) is present on multiple trackers-- seems odd to be involved in so many swarms at once.

Anyway, this aside I was wondering why anyone would do this?
NYTReader

Postby curzlgt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:07 am

"fame", popularity, attention................... I think that accounts for most of it. "steal" someone else's "work" and claim it as one's own................

Its all a dead issue to me anyway. No matter the "original" source of the torrent, it will always be someone else's "creation".
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Return to BitTorrent