Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Multiple torrent queues?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Multiple torrent queues?

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:28 am

Does anyone know of client that will allow me to have more then one torrent queue? For instance, you could have 1 torrent running in "Queue 1" at a time and 3 torrents running in "Queue 2" at time.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Re: Multiple torrent queues?

Postby IneptVagrant » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:30 am

No sense made, Use words more, please

Most clients will let you assign a priority (high/med/low/no) and/or a strict preference. (1st, 2nd, 3rd ... )
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:35 am

Ok, I'll try!

Lets just say I have my weekly downloads but I also decide I want to download season 1-7 of a Tv series I've just discovered (separated into 7 torrents). There is a good chance that the TV series will be ~7GBper torrent and shared among the same users. Because of this, I would want to download this series 1-2 torrent(s) at a time, especially if there are only a few sources. These would go into "Queue 1". In the mean time, I would also be downloading my usually weekly + random one-shot torrents. These would go into "Queue 2"

I realize I could manually start the torrent for the next season when the previous one is finished or run two of the large season torrents at a time but move the second down the priority list so that it would start/resume after the weekly episodes were finished.

Having multiple queues would make this a little more automated.
For another exmaple, I believe Internet download manager, has something like this for http downloads.
Last edited by Psycho Ced on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Golgo1 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:50 am

I havnt seen any client that provides that sort of thing. The whole purpose behind queues is to give orderly access to the limited resource of up/down traffic. Adding another queue on the same internet line (without complicated rules behind it), would really not serve any purpose.
If the 'usual' queueA is chugging away using all available bandwidth, adding queueB wouldnt really help, as it has none available to it. Or it has to steal from queueA.. in which case, you might as well just add it to queueA :)

I can certianly think of many uses for a second queue, just to help with organization. And it would certainly possible to balance bandwidth across queues, based on priority, size, time etc...
But I think there would be too much work involved for the coders to add it, and yourself to setup all these preferences... might as well just take the few extra clicks and add it to your regular queue.
That's just how I sees it.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:09 am

Golgo1 wrote:I havnt seen any client that provides that sort of thing. The whole purpose behind queues is to give orderly access to the limited resource of up/down traffic. Adding another queue on the same internet line (without complicated rules behind it), would really not serve any purpose.
If the 'usual' queueA is chugging away using all available bandwidth, adding queueB wouldnt really help, as it has none available to it. Or it has to steal from queueA.. in which case, you might as well just add it to queueA :)

I think I was not clear on this part. Right now, most clients will already allow you to run more then one torrent at time. Having multiple queues will only manage the order of the downloads in each queue. You're still having the same amount of torrents running simultaneously that you normally would (I never go above 3 downloads at a time): This just gives better control over which torrent starts next.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Return to BitTorrent