Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Wireless disconnects when using bittorent.

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Wireless disconnects when using bittorent.

Postby Laythstag » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:58 pm

I just moved to a new place. The owner provides wireless internet (I think roadrunner). I use a Linksys WPC54G ver. 3 wireless card. I don't have access to the owners router, but it shows up in the list of available wireless networks as "belkin54g".

If I use bittorrent (I used utorrent and azureus), my connection to the wireless network is cut off (specifically, it sees the router and can connect but it cannot connect to the internet). It than stays this way for about two to twenty-four hours.

The network is not password protected, so I don't think the owner is proficient enough to do something like this on purpose. But I could be wrong.

Things I've tried: reinstalling wireless card drivers.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
Laythstag

Re: Wireless disconnects when using bittorent.

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:14 pm

I've noticed that some of the earlier or more basic 54g Belkin routers tend to crash when subjected to a high number of connections or high wireless bandwidth use. That could be what's happening.

If the wireless has been left unsecured using the default SSID, chances are that the router admin login has also been left as the default. A Belkin router access IP is usually 192.168.2.1 and the default login usually admin (username) with the password left blank. If you can log in, you could maybe try a firmware update (though that can be tricky/risky to do wirelessly) or try changing the wireless settings, such as the broadcast channel, to see if that helps.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Re: Wireless disconnects when using bittorent.

Postby KoolKat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:01 pm

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 and there is no new firmware for it but i have not had a problem with it crashing or disconnecting at all. I wish i could help more but the belkin routers, wireless, are crap, perhaps talking with the owner about getting a new one would be a good idea, even offer to pay for half.
Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics! ~ Londo Mollari
KoolKat

Return to BitTorrent