Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

What and Waffles

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

What and Waffles

Postby Andu » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 pm

Ok I've only recently bothered looking into what trackers might offer high quality audio content for testing purposes. And in my search What and Waffles always made an appearance. So what's the deal? Are any users here that would like to share how their experience is? How is music diversity? Do you find obscure stuff in good quality? I mean I've seen some albums that I've been trying to track down in high quality on one or the other of them so it doesn't look bad to me in that regard.

Since both are invite only I cannot really try it out for myself.
Andu

Re: What and Waffles

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:11 pm

A friend of mine whom uses both of the mentioned private trackers absolutely loves them. Combined, they provide a good source of audio content in different formats (FLAC, various birtrates for mp3s such as 320, V0, V2, etc).

Between the pair, the diversity in the range of music available is excellent, and there is plenty of pretty obscure content, usually available in the very least at V0 or V2 bitrates.

At least that's what my friend tells me :popcorn:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby Hoosierdaddy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 pm

The downside? It can be almost impossible to maintain a decent ratio.

Here's a challenge. Grab just ONE obscure release in a lossless format on What, and you could seed forever and never get your ratio back up. It sucks. But that's the way it is.

The smarter private sites are moving to a different ratio model, giving you upload credits for time seeding rather than just measuring megabytes. Let's hope that all private trackers follow suit. No reason I should be punished for downloading a release no one else wants or that anyone else interested has already gotten.
Hoosierdaddy

Postby TorrentMama » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:39 pm

Hoosierdaddy wrote:The downside? It can be almost impossible to maintain a decent ratio.

that's cool pix, I have a friend that uses them too.. a hot chick with ddd titties. :D and she says if you don't know how to build your ratio, you don't know what you are doing. :wink:

Andu wrote:Since both are invite only I cannot really try it out for myself.

Now andu, this wouldn't be an undercover attempt at getting an invite, would it? :lol:

as to the content, my girl says she would tell you, but she doesn't want to break your heart by telling you all the awesomeness you are missing out on.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby LANjackal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:52 pm

Andu wrote:How is music diversity?
Both sites have more shades of music than you could hope to discover in a decade.

Andu wrote:Do you find obscure stuff in good quality?
Ha, define "obscure" and "good quality". If you ordered all western music in terms of popularity, you'd find all commercial releases from the 50th percentile and above. As for quality, what I can tell you is that everything available at both sites is transparent, but don't expect to find lossless downloads for everything.

That said, nowadays I'm finding that I actually rarely have to download from either of the two: stuff - at least what I listen to - that can't be found on Seeqpod, MP3 blogs, direct downloads (Rapidshare, etc.), public BitTorrent, Usenet, IRC and classic P2P often can't be found on Waffles or What either. This isn't because the 2 sites are bad - they're fantastic. It's just that there are so many mediums for sharing music nowadays that general availability of even rare stuff is pretty good.

And for those tracks that I can't find for free anywhere, Lala, Napster and Amazon MP3 pick up the slack with their DRM-free high-bitrate MP3 downloads.

Also, the (unfortunate, due to the lack of lossless downloads) slow death of the CD has meant that quite a few releases out there are available for as little as $0.99 via the Amazon Marketplace and other sources.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby multivariable » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 pm

This thread is a six-month bump.

I'm sure the original poster has sussed it all out by now.

Haven't you, Andu? :evil:
multivariable

Postby LANjackal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am

multivariable wrote:This thread is a six-month bump.

My bad, apologies. That's what happens when you're not around that much :oops:
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby curzlgt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:05 am

LANjackal wrote:My bad, apologies. That's what happens when you're not around that much :oops:

You know, if you were around more, that wouldn't happen :P :wink:

we miss your input!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby LANjackal » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:41 pm

curzlgt wrote:
LANjackal wrote:My bad, apologies. That's what happens when you're not around that much :oops:

You know, if you were around more, that wouldn't happen :P :wink:

we miss your input!
Yeah I miss being here a lot too :(. Thanks, lol
LANjackal

Postby Andu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:57 pm

multivariable wrote:This thread is a six-month bump.

Obviously I have, being the resourceful little bugger that I pretend to be. Unfortunately I had a little ratio problem because I had to leave town on business and the time to get the ratio in order expired. All I can say that the content is good but the ratio enforcement could be handled more sensibly. :?

Well I'll have to see how to obtain lossless content now although there are always ways of finding stuff if you have the time. The problem is I usually haven't.

I didn't believe anybody would actually bother reviving this corpse of a thread and only stumbled on it again by accident.

Edit: Oh Mamacita how could you ever think that of me? :wink:
Andu

Postby kayanat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:53 pm

What is a BitTorrent and why do you need Peerguardian? I need help understanding these things. I read that you need them for downloading movies and such. So my question is what is a BitTorrent, where can I find a safe one and what is Peerguardian for? Oh and is there a difference between BitTorrent and just a Torrent.
kayanat

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:53 pm

TorrentMama wrote:that's cool pix, I have a friend that uses them too.. a hot chick with ddd titties. :D and she says if you don't know how to build your ratio, you don't know what you are doing. :wink:

:toast:

:loveyou:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Return to BitTorrent