Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

I think an ISP may have blocked my favorite Torrent site.

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

I think an ISP may have blocked my favorite Torrent site.

Postby SwordOfZork » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:17 pm

So, I think my favorite Torrent site might have been blocked by an ISP. I don't know, tell me what you think.

I'm in Louisiana, and use AT&T (we don't have many options). For about a week now, I haven't been able to access this particular site, and all torrent traffic came to an immediate and complete stop. I wasn't even able to ping them. I tried all sorts of things:

-Changing browsers
-Changing computers
-Resetting all network hardware
-Disabling all firewalls
-Removing the router and plugging directly into the modem
-Using the site's IP address instead of URL
-Pinging the sites IP (no response)
-Using a proxy (worked!)

So yes, I found I can access the site just fine using a proxy. Thats really strange... I decided to run a trace and found the connection just dead ends at IP 209.123.11.41, which according to WHOIS belongs to the Net Access Corporation in Cedar Knolls, NJ. I visited their site, and they even have a map of their network topology:

I can see that some AT&T traffic goes through their network, and I see the Cedar Knolls hop.

Now, one strange thing, though: I know other people on this ISP that use the same site just fine. Do you think that maybe they're blocking an a per-user basis?

So, does anyone know anything about this company? Are they big on blocking traffic? Are they yet another company owned by AT&T? Is AT&T big on blocking traffic? Do you think they're blocking at all, or is it some sort of glitch?

Any help is appreciated.
SwordOfZork

Re: I think an ISP may have blocked my favorite Torrent site.

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:29 pm

first, a question. exactly what error do you get when you try to access this site?

next, a suggestion. ask the other users of your ISP who CAN access the site to do a trace themselves. see if their route also goes thru your dead-end in cedar knolls, or if they get a different route to the site.

i find it difficult to believe that AT&T is implementing custom blocks, specific to individual users. without more to go on, my instinct tells me to lean toward the glitch explanation, but who knows...
MrFredPFL

Postby SwordOfZork » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:40 pm

The error is just a generic "problem loading page" / "404" Theres simply no communication with the site or tracker at all. Its like it doesn't exist from my computer's perspective.

I'll ask them to trace the route to the site and see where their traffic goes.
SwordOfZork

Postby SwordOfZork » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:10 pm

Well, problem solved. Long story short, I found out that they were blocking me, and just me on a per account basis because I was using so much bandwidth going to that one particular IP. I found a way around it, though. They never admitted to this, but I'm just assuming they looked at this site that I use the hell out of, found out it was a torrent site, and put 2 and 2 together when they realized I was an extremely heavy bandwidth user.
SwordOfZork

Return to BitTorrent