Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

New Private Tracker Accepting Sign-Ups (PreToMe - PTM)

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

New Private Tracker Accepting Sign-Ups (PreToMe - PTM)

Postby DBG » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi. I am a member of PreToMe (http://www.pretome.net). We have custom coders and many uploaders and seedboxes. In fact we have too much uploading going on at the moment and not enough downloading/sharing. I invite you to come, sign up and check out the service. We have only been open a month so far but have many experienced members and would be very happy to help you along the way if you are new to BitTorrent as well.

Hope to see you there,
DBG
DBG

Re: New Private Tracker Accepting Sign-Ups (PreToMe - PTM)

Postby Downloader » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:12 pm

Very disappointed that they won't allow me to upload anything new because I have a shitty upload speed. IMO anyone offering to upload a requested file should be permitted to. Maybe that's why you don't have many downloaders, it's hard to get props (or download credit) when you are not allowed to contribute what little bandwidth you have to upload a requested file.
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby ejonesss » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:42 pm

Downloader wrote:Very disappointed that they won't allow me to upload anything new because I have a shitty upload speed. IMO anyone offering to upload a requested file should be permitted to. Maybe that's why you don't have many downloaders, it's hard to get props (or download credit) when you are not allowed to contribute what little bandwidth you have to upload a requested file.

did you try lying about your upload speed in your signup or profile settings?

then tell them you are running other background activity to justify the slow upload speed.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby Downloader » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:10 am

nope they make you do a speed test and automatically fill it in. :evil:
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby Darkening » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:40 am

That's some nice pro-leech feature! I'm in. (??)
Darkening

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:00 am

Downloader wrote:Very disappointed that they won't allow me to upload anything new because I have a shitty upload speed. IMO anyone offering to upload a requested file should be permitted to. Maybe that's why you don't have many downloaders, it's hard to get props (or download credit) when you are not allowed to contribute what little bandwidth you have to upload a requested file.

That makes it completely pointless for anyone without a fast upload connection to bother signing up :?
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby Downloader » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:53 am

piXelatedEmpire wrote:

That makes it completely pointless for anyone without a fast upload connection to bother signing up :?

Exactly, I like to share my files, if I can't do that I may as well just leech off the public sites.
Downloader

Postby leVitate » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:57 pm

I hate to revive an old thread, but lately this has been brought to my attention.

I am a staff member at PreToMe, and the reason we don't allow you to upload if you have a slow connection is simply because if we have, say, 20 people who want to download off a connection that only allows 30kb/s, that means 20 people need to share your 30kb/s, and that gets down to around 1.5kb/s per person trying to download. We only allow people with higher speeds to upload so we can have good speeds throughout the upload process, even when there is only 1 full seeder for that torrent.

Would you want to be downloading 3gb file at 1.5kb/s? I don't think you would.

You can download anything you want, you just simply cannot upload a UNIQUE file, and be the first to upload that file to site. After downloading you must seed it back. I think that this wasn't really implied in the original post.
leVitate

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:24 pm

leVitate wrote:I am a staff member at PreToMe, and the reason we don't allow you to upload if you have a slow connection is simply because if we have, say, 20 people who want to download off a connection that only allows 30kb/s, that means 20 people need to share your 30kb/s, and that gets down to around 1.5kb/s per person trying to download. We only allow people with higher speeds to upload so we can have good speeds throughout the upload process, even when there is only 1 full seeder for that torrent.

Would you want to be downloading 3gb file at 1.5kb/s? I don't think you would.

What's wrong with having a little patience? The more people you allow to upload, regardless of their upload speed, the better chance you have of attracting more members and improving the diversity of files offered.
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby EvilWizardGlick » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Private trackers are the worst thing for any filesharer to use. When file sharing is public then there is at minimum a moral ground to stand on. Fight the system, prices to high, information should be free, so on.
When you remove the general public from that equation then you just become a thief out for personal gain.
Private trackers demean the whole idea behind file sharing. It is file sharing for ALL not for some.
EvilWizardGlick

Postby psychocydd » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:01 pm

EvilWizardGlick wrote:Private trackers are the worst thing for any filesharer to use. When file sharing is public then there is at minimum a moral ground to stand on. Fight the system, prices to high, information should be free, so on.
When you remove the general public from that equation then you just become a thief out for personal gain.
Private trackers demean the whole idea behind file sharing. It is file sharing for ALL not for some.

totally agree!! 100%
psychocydd

Postby Downloader » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:18 pm

If it was a 3BG file I wanted but wasn't available elsewhere at a better speed, Sure I would d/l at 1.5 kb/s from the seed knowing full when the other people taking up the remaining bandwidth would also be seeding me the file. If i downloaded the file the moment it was uploaded my entire download would take aproximatly the same time as if I was d/l at 30 kb/s of course the later I hop on board the faster I would be recieving that file. Also once the entire file has been uploaded to your faster members, it will always be available if you have a request reseed.

Essentially all 20 people get 30 kb/s, sure therer is a little lag tme before people get that speed and there is some overhead. But once the entire file is uploaded once it can snowball. Thats the beauty of P2P it takes the original uploaders upload speed out of the equation, you only upload the file once @ 30kB/s, everyone else shares with each other.

How do you think public trackers torrents survive when everyone is leeching and only upping 1-2 kb/s? I still download quite fast off public torrents, Sure I am connected to 500 leechers, but im getting 500 kb/s.

I upped an episode of a popular television show to a very well known private tracker, apologized for my crappy upload speed in the comments whist donning flame proof underwear.
After downloading you must seed it back.

Fully expected, but not the issue at hand. All public sites have a ratio of UP:DL or other methods, to ensure you share.

The comments were.

Thanks! I love this show

No problems Apologies for my crappy upload speed
- Me

Thanks Downloader !!!

Don't worry about your "crappy upload speed". If anyone complains, they can subscribe to Showtime and get it faster

A wise poster.

I never liked these guys untill (Snip - to protect identity of show)....thx for the up.

thanks lots

BEST TV SHOW

woooooooooooooooooooop wooooooooooooop

thanks

thanks

Thanks a ton
Thx a lot, can't see this show in Japan, and it'll probably never be avaiable here, out of concern of getting sued (Snip, same reason as above)

this was a great episode

I was upping that at a lousy 22 kb/s, it had aired within two days, and was available earlier at public and private trackers.
I got seven comments thanking me, one defending my crappy upload speed, and four comments praising the show. This is just one example of many.
Downloader

Postby billysablo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:08 am

ahh..and once you have 20 leecher at 1.5kb/s it only stays like that for all of 10 minutes im guessing. because the beauty of bt is that each of the 20 leechers are getting 20 different packets of the seeder. they then start to share these amongst each other using their own upload bandwidth. so it gets faster and faster and you get the idea.

but i also understand why some private sites only allow 10/100mb uploaders.

you are NEVER going to please everyone

regards sablo :D
billysablo

Postby CHEEZOR » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:16 am

I would like my torrents to be fast, but I would rather FIND WHAT IM LOOKING FOR than have fast speeds on stuff Im not looking for. I run into this a lot because I do not watch tv or listen to the radio. I have no idea what is popular and what isnt, and I dont care. I listen and watch what I want not what is popular. I am also into live shows and bootlegs which can be very rare sometimes. This can make finding things tricky sometimes, therefore, I would rather have anybody upload files even if it is slow than not be able to find something rare. Patience is a virtue.
CHEEZOR

Postby TorrentMama » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:48 am

the debate on speed vs content will never end because there it's just a preference... neither side is right or wrong.

I prefer speed... I'm not trying to sound 1337bbq or anything but I know that whatever I'm looking for, I am going to find. period. I've never not gotten what I wanted... so when I find it I want speed. if I've got friends over and they request to watch xyz rare/old movie I want it in the next 5 min, period.

On the other hand, I understand the flip side... more content.. yea yea.. I hear you.. but the thing is.. it's probably out there already and accessible faster... but don't hold my feet to the flames on this one, like I said, it's just a preference.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby CHEEZOR » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:04 pm

TorrentMama wrote:if I've got friends over and they request to watch xyz rare/old movie I want it in the next 5 min, period.

Good point. There are times when speed is a must.
CHEEZOR

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:15 pm

yes, but the policy of requiring high speed for uploaders does not guarantee what you want is available at high speed. if only a slow seeder had it, it does not somehow magically become available at a fast speed because of this policy - it simply becomes unavailable at all. all this does is guarantee that no one with a "low" speed is uploading - it doesn't make MORE stuff available at high speed, it just makes NO stuff available at low speed.
MrFredPFL

Postby CHEEZOR » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Yes, and if the uploader has a fast upload speed, but is seeding/downloading multiple torrents then their fast connection is reduced to whatever bandwidth is left over after all the other torrents get their share. lol
CHEEZOR

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:55 pm

EvilWizardGlick wrote:Private trackers are the worst thing for any filesharer to use. When file sharing is public then there is at minimum a moral ground to stand on. Fight the system, prices to high, information should be free, so on.

:roll:
piXelatedEmpire

Postby riverside » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:28 pm

pretome:

YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO JOIN OUR SNOTNOSED LITTLE SHITSTAINED COMMUNITY!!!

that'S what they tell you when you attempt to sign up
riverside

Postby JakolanteN » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:15 pm

No private torrent community would want you with that attitude.
JakolanteN

Postby curzlgt » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Downloader wrote:
piXelatedEmpire wrote:

Exactly, I like to share my files, if I can't do that I may as well just leech off the public sites.

Thats BS. Why can't you use public sites and feel just fine about it? I manage to maintain at least a 1:1 on public sites witha relatively poor upload speed. And I feel like I am actually sharing files with the p2p community.

Private sites are not file sharing......................

edit: responed without looking at dates and such.................... just proves my point, private site are not file sharing.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:02 am

curzlgt wrote:Private sites are not file sharing......................

edit: responed without looking at dates and such.................... just proves my point, private site are not file sharing.

That's a very narrow-minded view curz. I'm on a couple of private sites, and I indeed share many files with others on those very same sites.
piXelatedEmpire

Postby CompMacBookDude » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:38 am

I am a member at pretome, that being said it was a super PAIN IN THE ASS to sign up for it. They make you jump thru so many hoops its unbelievable! I figured when I got it im gonna get some sh*t that I cant find anywhere else, and low and behold, its the same olde sh*t on that site, very disappointed.

I rarely go to the site anymore, and its pretty deserted and the torrents I look at are not seeded well at all mabe like a couple seeds
CompMacBookDude

Postby curzlgt » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:44 am

piXelatedEmpire wrote:
curzlgt wrote:Private sites are not file sharing......................

That's a very narrow-minded view curz. I'm on a couple of private sites, and I indeed share many files with others on those very same sites.

piX, I don't believe in private sites, and I don't believe in news groups. I believe in file sharing. I personally don't think either is true file sharing. IMO there should be no restrictions, no sign ups, no paying (NGs),......................but that's just my personal definition of file sharing...............

I will elaborate if you ask.................
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Next

Return to BitTorrent