Page 2 of 2

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:27 am
by bnttwnbnt
Perseid wrote:Your upload stream is most likely being flooded. When you download you send the other end packets saying you received it. If your upload stream is completely flooded by actual uploads these ACK packets can't get through so the uploader/server won't send you more. Your torrent software most likely has the ability to limit your upload. Set this to maybe 80% of your real upload speed. A cleaner, but more complicated alternative is to use a router with QoS(I use the Linksys DD-WRTGL with Tomato firmware) that will control this for you for your entire connection.


I ran tests on my upload and download speeds:

Upload=43 kb/s max
Download=200 kb/s max

I'll set Bitlord to an upload limit of 33 kb/s (80% of 43)

Is there any rule for setting a download limit?

Hope this can sustain my torrent sessions.

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:02 am
by lordfoul
Your ratio is pretty common ADSL ratio you could try limiting your upload to 75 percent of you total upload bandwidth, in your case about 30KBs, and see if after 10 minutes you see a dramatic increase in download speed. Best to test on a known torrent with as many seeders as possible to eliminate anomalies which do happen. If you don't see dramatic improvement in both torrent speed and certainly internet access problems, I'd still try the former advice.

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:23 am
by bnttwnbnt
It's been 8 hours since I changed my upload limits in BitLord preferences and I haven't been kicked off!!! That must have done the trick! Thanks so much for the help!

If my modem test showed a download speed of 200 kb/s should I max that out in BitLord preferences or should I do say...150 kb/s so as to not overload?

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:22 am
by HalOfBorg
Play with it, find what works best for you. Glad you found out what was wrong.

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:59 am
by bnttwnbnt
Thanks everyone for the help. You all know your stuff. Glad I solved the problem without buying a new modem and getting Comcast involved.

Wonder why after years of using BitLord, I had to finally fool with the settings?

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:05 pm
by Golgo1
finally found some good torrents that others wanted? :D

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:43 pm
by curzlgt
I'm gonna go with comcast.

They recently acquired my local IP. In the last couple months I've had similar problems. I use both utorrent, and bitcomet. Sometimes, I don't pay to close attention to when, when I have either running, I'll come to my computer and it will have a dead connection. both for torrenting and for general internet use. Never had this problem with my previous IP. Same results whether using my wireless router or connected directly to the modem. A restart fixes it every time, but eventually it is killed every time? I download azures a week ago and started using it for the first time in my life, and I encounter the same problem? My router is only about a year and a half old btw. Not sure how old the router is, got it from the previous IP. I'll borrow a friends soon and see if I have the same results.

A few friends around here that do torrents have said the same thing is happening to them. Using proxies and such seem to be a lot of work, so i'll prolly just deal with it till I move out of comcast's reach.

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:53 am
by HalOfBorg
curzlgt wrote: Using proxies and such seem to be a lot of work, so i'll prolly just deal with it till I move out of comcast's reach.


As people told me here - over and over until I tried it - try newsgroups. A bit more of a learning curve, but they are great for recent things. 'Recent' being about 100+ days or more. :o

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:54 pm
by bnttwnbnt
curzlgt wrote:I'm gonna go with comcast.

They recently acquired my local IP. In the last couple months I've had similar problems. I use both utorrent, and bitcomet. Sometimes, I don't pay to close attention to when, when I have either running, I'll come to my computer and it will have a dead connection. both for torrenting and for general internet use. Never had this problem with my previous IP. Same results whether using my wireless router or connected directly to the modem. A restart fixes it every time, but eventually it is killed every time? I download azures a week ago and started using it for the first time in my life, and I encounter the same problem? My router is only about a year and a half old btw. Not sure how old the router is, got it from the previous IP. I'll borrow a friends soon and see if I have the same results.

A few friends around here that do torrents have said the same thing is happening to them. Using proxies and such seem to be a lot of work, so i'll prolly just deal with it till I move out of comcast's reach.


Do a test on upload and download speeds of your modem. Then as I was instructed to do, set your torrent program's preferences to upload only 80% or its max. While you're at it, set your download speed for about 60% of your max. I've had a connection to BitLord for 12 hours and I have Comcast.

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:29 pm
by curzlgt
HalOfBorg wrote:
curzlgt wrote: Using proxies and such seem to be a lot of work, so i'll prolly just deal with it till I move out of comcast's reach.


As people told me here - over and over until I tried it - try newsgroups. A bit more of a learning curve, but they are great for recent things. 'Recent' being about 100+ days or more. :o


Appreciate the advise, but I consider myself a file sharer. I do not personally consider most who use newsgroups to be file sharers.......

As for the rest of the advise, I will try messing around with the setting. Just wonder though if the need to even mess around with the setting is related to comcast's monkeying around with things?

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:19 pm
by bnttwnbnt
curzlgt wrote:As for the rest of the advise, I will try messing around with the setting. Just wonder though if the need to even mess around with the setting is related to comcast's monkeying around with things?


I myself wonder the same thing. Why is it NOW I've had to screw with connection preferences after years? It's either because of Comcast, or my cable modem can't perform like it used to.

Either way, I'm happy I can maintain a steady connection to BitLord once again.