Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

Postby bnttwnbnt » Tue May 20, 2008 6:32 pm

I've been downloading torrents with BitLord for years now without any hassle. As of a few days ago however, I can't even keep BitLord on for more than an hour before it kills my internet connection!!! I've unplugged and replugged my modem about 30 times already. I have Comcast Internet and I know they are trying to make it hard to DL torrents but they started doing that in 2003. I am only starting to see it be a problem now. This is really annoying. Please help!
bnttwnbnt

Re: Torrent Downloading Keeps Killing My Internet Connection!!!

Postby honz318712 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:16 pm

Do you have a router? If so, try taking it out of the equation and connecting your computer directly to your cable modem. See if the problem persists. If the problem still occurs, then put your router back in place because its not the problem.
honz318712

Postby bnttwnbnt » Tue May 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks for your help, but I have a simple direct connection: Laptop to Broadband Cable Modem. No intricate "middleman devices.

As of late I've been downloading quite a bit because I recently purchased a 1TB external harddrive. Perhaps Comcast is seeing my download progress and making it frustrating for me to download??? This is the only thing I can think of...unless my cable modem is starting to go, although I've been to sites that test my modem and the tests show the modem is fine. I really miss the days where I didn't have to babysit BitLord...
bnttwnbnt

Postby Golgo1 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:27 pm

what's the weather where you live? it's geting warmer out in my hemisphere, The modem might be overheating. Ive had that problem a few times.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby bnttwnbnt » Tue May 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Hmmm, I live in MA and the weather is generally mild right now and the room where I use my computer is a safe room temperature. Thing is, I've had my cable modem for quite a while (~5 years?), I'd be interested to try another modem to see if it does the same thing. When I don't have BitLord running, my internet connection runs without interuption.
bnttwnbnt

Postby HalOfBorg » Tue May 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Verizon 3M DSL.

I have been having a similar problem for quite some time now - running uTorrent. I had the latest version, or close to it. I had been using it for quite some time with no problem.

Now, when I use uT, my interent connection slows to a crawl. Only the stuff like IE or Firefox. uT or WinMX or even online speed tests works fine, once you manage to get a webpage to load.

uT is NOT using a lot of bandwidth at these times - normal amounts, about 1/4 my DL and no more than 1/2 my UL. I can normally web browse with very little slow down.

Rebooting modem / router no help. Shutting off uT does not help. Rebooting PC fixes it.

So......now I use Azureus. I have only had it happen with it one time.

Don't know if it is connected, but I switched from Norton Internet Security / Anti Virus to ZoneAlarm Pro and AVG Pro. I think I did that a while before the problem showed.

I use exact same two on personal PC at work, and never have problem with uT there.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby LANjackal » Wed May 21, 2008 12:37 am

bnttwnbnt wrote:I've been downloading torrents with BitLord for years now without any hassle. As of a few days ago however, I can't even keep BitLord on for more than an hour before it kills my internet connection!!! I've unplugged and replugged my modem about 30 times already. I have Comcast Internet and I know they are trying to make it hard to DL torrents but they started doing that in 2003. I am only starting to see it be a problem now. This is really annoying. Please help!
Have Comcast come and check the problem. DO NOT MENTION P2P. Just say that your connection keeps getting dropped. More than likely your modem is getting a weak signal, and the more data you pass back and forth, the more gets dropped, causing the modem to just give up and drop the connection altogether. This happened to me with Cox, they installed a signal booster which helped (somewhat). Also, the weather can definitely be a factor. I generally have more connection problems in the winter, for example.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby bnttwnbnt » Wed May 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Good point, I'll try to exaust all options before I tell comcast to send someone though.

I ran xp network diagnostics this morning and it told me that my winsock catalog needed to be reset. So I restarted my computer and the problem was still not fixed. So the second time around, the diagnostic told me to do the same thing I've been doing now for days: unplug the cable modem and plug it back in! Of course that worked and I am back on line...

I doubt weather is a factor in this, as it is a sunny spring time 70 degrees today.
bnttwnbnt

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed May 21, 2008 1:37 pm

just for laughs, if you know how, you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP.
MrFredPFL

Postby olephart » Wed May 21, 2008 6:34 pm

I'd try reducing the number of connections your bittorrent client has open. I've experienced dropped connections in the past and reducing to around 100 (the default uT setting was around 200 or so I think) solved the problem for me.
olephart

Postby LANjackal » Thu May 22, 2008 12:07 am

bnttwnbnt wrote:I ran xp network diagnostics this morning and it told me that my winsock catalog needed to be reset. So I restarted my computer and the problem was still not fixed. So the second time around, the diagnostic told me to do the same thing I've been doing now for days: unplug the cable modem and plug it back in! Of course that worked and I am back on line...
Yeah ... the dialog's not that helpful because the OS can only tell what's going on within the PC and so defaults to that diagnosis when it can't figure anything else out. That's not the problem, the problem's with your connection itself. Just ask Comcast to come out.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby bnttwnbnt » Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 am

Ive poked around to other forums and it seems that this problem is all too common! The source of my problem has to be one of the following:

1)My cable modem is worn out after 5 yrs and needs to be replaced.
or
2)Comcast set up my account so that it is a hassle for me to download torrents.

Number 1 would be my favorite problem, because it's the easiest to fix! But alas, the winning answer here has to be number 2. Here's why:

I purchased a 1TB external HD a few weeks ago and have been downloading torrents more aggressively since then. Comcast must have seen this activity and now they are making it difficult for me. After all, I've been casually using P2P for 5 years all while I've had Comcast as an ISP and NOW it starts getting difficult after I go on a downloading binge after getting my 1 TB harddrive?

I really wish number 1 was the problem, because I would be happy to go get another modem and continue where I left off. However, my modem still browses the internet well.

My only hope now is that I ease off BitLord for a month or so, and Comcast lifts the restriction from my account. If not, it's probably better to just be happy with what I've downloaded already.
bnttwnbnt

Postby Golgo1 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:54 am

do a forum search here for 'comcast' and you'll find comcast isnt going to go out of its way to release any restrictions.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby TorrentMama » Thu May 22, 2008 9:43 am

hon, to me it doesn't sound like comcast is sending you rst packets. If they were it shouldn't kill your internet connection it would just slow your downloads to a crawl or possibly kill your connections to various chat or voip clients.

if you really suspect comcast is interfering start logging everything.. I don't feel like going into the how to explanation when you can read up on it .. here is a .pdf with information on how to detect packet injection
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu May 22, 2008 9:47 am

+1. comcast's tactics do not "kill" your connection, they handicap or cripple it for torrenting - but it should have no effect on other activity, such as browsing. if your connection is truly going totally dead, odds are something else is involved. if it's not going totally dead, perhaps you should describe more carefully what actually IS happening ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby bnttwnbnt » Thu May 22, 2008 12:43 pm

if your connection is truly going totally dead, odds are something else is involved. if it's not going totally dead, perhaps you should describe more carefully what actually IS happening ;)

Yep, after using BitLord and my connection is lost, I can't use any programs that connect to the internet: IE, Outlook, etc. My connection can go forever as long as I don't open BitLord. Sounds like my old cable modem can't handle p2p like it used to...
bnttwnbnt

Postby HalOfBorg » Thu May 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Sounds exactly like my problem. Try connecting with WinMX or MSN or something while it's bad.

Try switching to another BT app like Aureus.

We are The Borg.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby bnttwnbnt » Thu May 22, 2008 2:27 pm

HalOfBorg wrote:Sounds exactly like my problem. Try connecting with WinMX or MSN or something while it's bad.

Try switching to another BT app like Aureus.

Don't know what WinMX is and I don't use MSN, but I use AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and it won't even connect to that after BitLord kills the connection.

Are you still having this problem halofborg?? Did you switch to Aureus and no longer have this problem?
bnttwnbnt

Postby ejonesss » Thu May 22, 2008 2:29 pm

it may be that since comcast has been in the news they changed tactics .

instead of capping the speeds they reset the cable modem.

also you may want to check if they are upgrading to a new modem because i had the same problem torrents run for a few minutes then the modem would suddenly reset.

the new cable modems are more sensitive to lower signal power so a downstream of 0 db is perfect where as the older modems required a level of 6 db in order to get the signal.

other factors is noise in the line since cable modems are 2 way it means there is no ingress filter on the line and if someone on the block or if you disconnect your digital cable converter box from the cable then the open end can allow noise into the line.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby bnttwnbnt » Thu May 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Those are some good points.

On a slightly different note...If I do indeed use another BitTorrent client and it solves the problem, will the new client start downloading torrents at the progress that BitLord left off? Or will I have to start at 0% again?
bnttwnbnt

Postby TorrentMama » Thu May 22, 2008 8:48 pm

yes, if you load the same torrent file and you continue to dowload to the same folder you were using before your file will pick up where it left off. try utorrent.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby HalOfBorg » Thu May 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Yes - I use Azureus and have only had the connection problem one time, and I DL through BT daily. Might have been a fluke.

When/IF you switch clients - be sure the new one is set to use exact same DL folder, then it should see the files. Also - watch out for how uTorrent handles incomplete files. Mine always had the extension "!ut", while Azureus just keeps the filename/ext as they are. I don't know about others.

On uT an incomplete might look like this:

MyUselessVideo.avi.!ut

I don't know if using this extension is the default or not. You can turn it off as I remember. I just used Siren filerenamer to remove the !ut extensions.

We are The Borg.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby bnttwnbnt » Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 pm

Man is this frustrating or what? I just transferred my incomplete torrents in progress to Azureus and they started at 0%. To make things worse, When I went back on BitLord, one of my downloads lost progress from 94% to 63%. It will take days to get that torrent back to 94%. I give up!
bnttwnbnt

Postby Perseid » Thu May 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Your upload stream is most likely being flooded. When you download you send the other end packets saying you received it. If your upload stream is completely flooded by actual uploads these ACK packets can't get through so the uploader/server won't send you more. Your torrent software most likely has the ability to limit your upload. Set this to maybe 80% of your real upload speed. A cleaner, but more complicated alternative is to use a router with QoS(I use the Linksys DD-WRTGL with Tomato firmware) that will control this for you for your entire connection.
Perseid

Postby lordfoul » Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Download Ubuntu, not via BT lol, boot the live version and try downloading a torrent you know doesn't perform under windows and see if you can eliminate the OS. At worst you'll confirm that you have problems with your ISP at best you may just need a reinstall of your windows OS. Just a thought.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Next

Return to BitTorrent