Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Comcast with Powerboost

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Comcast with Powerboost

Postby bullrun » Sun May 11, 2008 4:25 pm

[b]My downloads are getting slow, I have Comcast I'm also on a netwark and I use a wireless router, Comcast also offers powerboost, is that the way to go, thank you.
bullrun

Re: Comcast with Powerboost

Postby LANjackal » Mon May 12, 2008 7:07 pm

bullrun wrote:[b]My downloads are getting slow, I have Comcast I'm also on a netwark and I use a wireless router, Comcast also offers powerboost, is that the way to go, thank you.
Not really. Powerboost only works for plain old HTTP or FTP(?) transfers as far as I know. AFAIK. it won't help your P2P speeds, which is what I'm assuming you're asking about.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Comcast with Powerboost

Postby bullrun » Tue May 13, 2008 5:30 pm

I recently posted that I'm getting slow p2p downloads. The person who answered my post told me that powerboost won't help with p2p downloading. I forgot to note that I'm on a newtwark. We have a laptop anlong with my desktop computer. Were using a Netgear wireless router, could that be causing slow downloads. Thank you.
bullrun

Postby zbeast » Tue May 13, 2008 5:39 pm

Powerboost won't do jack for the p2p.... there for web browsing.

If your running p2p application you should always use the "wired" option.
because of the way wireless works... it actually causes a lot of loss packets and retransmissions.

You can test this by just direcly pulling your laptop into the cable modem.
Your speeds so increase... Even tho I dont trust cable companys I'm currently using comcast
cable for my internet... If I use wireless... it's butt slow.. direct connection.. super fast.
I was getting speeds on a emule as fast as 450k...
I've been getting torrents running as fast as 1.5mb
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Comcast with Powerboost

Postby bullrun » Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Thank you for telling me about my Netgear wireless connection. I seem to be loosing my download speeds on my desktop computer. My laptop sems to be a better connection, it should be the other way around. I'm using Bitlord to download movies. Is there something in that program that I could adjust. I also have TCP Optimizer and Cable Nut. If anyone knows something, I would appreciate. Thank you.
bullrun

Postby LANjackal » Tue May 13, 2008 11:47 pm

bullrun wrote:Thank you for telling me about my Netgear wireless connection. I seem to be loosing my download speeds on my desktop computer. My laptop sems to be a better connection, it should be the other way around. I'm using Bitlord to download movies. Is there something in that program that I could adjust. I also have TCP Optimizer and Cable Nut. If anyone knows something, I would appreciate. Thank you.
First off, switch to utorrent (www.utorrent.com) and see how that works. BitLord is a crap client.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby HEAT84 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:54 am

I don't suppose P2Ping through port 80 would let you use powerboost with it? :P Assuming of course the download source(s) have the bandwidth available.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Return to BitTorrent