Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MxControl Filter

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

MxControl Filter

Postby Dazzle » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:59 pm

Bender the well know programmer behind creations such as RoboMx,Bendmx ,Metis etc has released this patch /blocking tool to help combat the rather unpleasant flooding that the media cartel are inflicting on us. Used with peer guardian its a sure fire winner, bye bye flooders,lol

http://mxcontrol.sourceforge.net/module ... it&lid=146

I have created a little patch for WinMX that prohibits connection to "blocked" IPs for those not having a router/firewall. You can set the IPs to block in the BendMX.dat file (Wildcards supported so you can block whole IP ranges aswell).

The patch blocks all outgoing and incomming connection attemts both TCP and UDP and logs blocked connections in a textfile in your WInMX folder. You can use it as primary and secondary conneciton user (it will also block attempted downloads from and to certain IPs)

I made two versions, one integrated into BendMX 3.9.9 Alpha 3 and a standalone version for those that do not want to use BendMX

Both versions can also be used with RCMS. MCMA has not been tested.

Configuration via BendMX.dat

Example:
[BadIPs]
BadIP_1=209.11.134.*
BadIP_2=38.113.214.*
BadIP_3=204.9.116.*

Cheers Bender your a life saver 8)

P.S. For those that want the BendMx version get it here
http://mxcontrol.sourceforge.net/module ... it&lid=144
Dazzle

Postby nms04 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:03 am

thx for this tool!
nms04

Good stuff

Postby mx'er » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:07 am

I've installed this as well, what is recommended as an ip sniffer so I can hunt down more of them?
mx'er

Postby Dazzle » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:29 pm

Glad you asked Mx,er :D Its nice to see folks helping out 8)

You can use a simple Tcp Viewer,which shows you all connections to your machine, very useful when you type in coldplay, and
100% of those folks listed are flooders (they seem to be flooding an album that is not even in the stores yet and wont be for another month).
If you look here its all already been posted about

http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?t=1684

Get the small tool to work out the winmx IP , but use the tcp viewer to confirm it, also another check to be 100% sure its not an innocent person is the old favourite of mine

http://arul.telenet-systems.com/track.html

Just post the IP in that and it will no doubt come back with one of the big Japanese companies or the smaller american organisations.

Have fun now , I sure do :lol:

P.S. for more sport try blocking the 61.*.*.* ranges first as thats their favourite.
Dazzle

Postby mx'er » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:03 am

Thanks Dazzle, will get onto that right away.

Ya, I already have that one in the list :)
To test the behaviour of bender and the * wildcard, I tried putting just BadIP1=* in the dat and sure enough, it blocked everything including [as expected] my ability to even connect to the network.

So, I imagine that to block a whole IP range, then [for example] 61.* should block all ip's starting with 61 ?

Cheers
mx'er

Postby Dazzle » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:25 am

I asked Bender about this myself a while back and he said it was best to stick to the normal fomat (61.*.*.*)
I suspect its easy to get carried away and block too many addresses but this really is effective.
I started searching out these addresses because folks where saying it was all coming from secondaries, but most of the
ones I have seen are not, they come from corporate servers that make up 100,s of false names , bit rates , titles.
What annoys me about this denial of service tactic is that I use the chat rooms and this knocks out primaries, so it affects even the innocent.
I now have a range of tooks provided by "friendly" programmers to allow me to monitor much more of the network, so when they change pattern I,m one jump ahead..lol
Dazzle

Return to WinMX