Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Silly n00bie question - how do I share files with a friend?

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Silly n00bie question - how do I share files with a friend?

Postby Sophia » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:08 pm

Ok, here my friend and I both downloaded WinMX, just to share files together, but how do we do that? We added each other on the "hot list", but we are shown as offline (which we aren't) and we can't send each other messages.

What are we doing wrong? The help menu is blank, so we can't find the answer there :evil:

Thanks! :D
Sophia

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:15 pm

Ha HA you suck :lol: ....

JUST KIDDING. :D This is not a silly question as this is a problem that I've had sometimes as well. Did you check to see if you are firewalled? Also have you tried using an opennap network?
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby puzzlepants » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:39 pm

Please use the search button before asking questions like this.

I guess I can give you a little slack because you didn't really ask a good question. WinMX isn't the best way to share files among friends. That's not what it was meant for. It's meant for sharing many files with many people.

If you use the search function you should find a huge thread about using certain programs to share files among friends. For instance, you could use Grouper or WASTE, or a ton of other programs.

The bottom line is please use the search function. Odds are that your question has already been answered, or at the very least there is a better way to do what you are trying to do.
puzzlepants

Postby Solomon » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:45 pm

Try Maileet. Or Foldershare.
Solomon

Postby Sophia » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:24 am

puzzlepants wrote:The bottom line is please use the search function.
Sorry :( Guess you made your point.

And thanks :wink:
Sophia

Postby Mr. Alzheimer » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:37 am

It's not what WinMX was really made for, that's true, but it should still be possible. Personally, I cannot answer your question, but I'm sure someone here can. Try sending a private message to DaBlade. He's a die hard WinMX user, so he might know.
Mr. Alzheimer

Postby nms04 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:39 pm

hm winmx isn't the best way if u ant to share files with ur friends, u could try to add him / her to ur buddy list and browsing his / her files ... but i recommend exosee (http://www.exosee.com) or kdrive (http://www.kdrive.com)
nms04

Re: Silly n00bie question - how do I share files with a frie

Postby nycram2 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:47 am

Sophia wrote:Ok, here my friend and I both downloaded WinMX, just to share files together, but how do we do that? We added each other on the "hot list", but we are shown as offline (which we aren't) and we can't send each other messages.

What are we doing wrong? The help menu is blank, so we can't find the answer there :evil:

Thanks! :D

Here's what's happening: For secondary connections, the the primary you are connected to changes, and the address in the hotlist becomes obsolete. (A secondary coonection doesn't link you into the network directly, it just connects you to a primary who is plugged into the network.) The developers have promised to fix this in version 3.55, but don't hold your breath.

Meanwhile, there is an easy workaround. Each chatroom has its own hotlist, and the chat program keeps it uptodate. Any change in primary, either by you or by your friend, will be reflected in the chatroom hotlist.

So, go to the chat window, list the WinMx chatrooms, find a chatroom you like, join it, wait for your friend to join it too, then right-click on his/her name in the chatroom's hotlist, and browse the files.

That's all there is to it.
nycram2

Postby Assyrian » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 am

i remember once using icq back in the days and i loaded up my share folder and only my buddies on my list can only download of me. so you can give that a go if you want.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby nms04 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:28 am

from what i can remember there was a plugin / tool for various instant messengers with ehich u could share files with ur buddies, but unfortunately u can't remember it's name :(
nms04

Postby napho » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:44 pm

Something that goes through a browser and lets you use a download manager is the best way to share one on one.

"HTTP server designed for file transfer.
Very easy to use, just drag&drop your files in it.
It automatically copies in the clipboard the full url of the file, so you just have to paste it in wherever you like.
Virtual file system, bandwidth control and many more features."

http://www.rejetto.com/sw/

That beta 2.0 has uploads as well as downloads and passwords. Works very efficiently.
napho

Postby nms04 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:39 pm

cool! thx for the link!
nms04

Return to WinMX