Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

The WinMx interface goes all funny on me!

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

The WinMx interface goes all funny on me!

Postby anley » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:38 am

I don't know if this is connected to XP SP2 which I've recently uploaded but WinMX is going very funny on me.

About 70% of the time when I click into it I can only see small parts of it on my screen (the rest is all white).

But when I move my mouse over the page it all appears. I don't know if this is a memory problem to me but I've checked out my machine and everything else seems to be working fine.

The problem also appears only when I use WinMx and all other programs are working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
anley

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:50 am

Hmmmm ... have you tried re-installing it?

Welcome to Slyck by the way!
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Solomon » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:35 am

Does it do it soon after loading, or is it after a while?

Do you run any antileech progs, like LeecHammer, or Moni?

What else do you have running at the same time?

How much RAM do you have?
Solomon

Re: The WinMx interface goes all funny on me!

Postby nycram2 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:58 am

anley wrote:I don't know if this is connected to XP SP2 which I've recently uploaded but WinMX is going very funny on me.

About 70% of the time when I click into it I can only see small parts of it on my screen (the rest is all white).

But when I move my mouse over the page it all appears. I don't know if this is a memory problem to me but I've checked out my machine and everything else seems to be working fine.

The problem also appears only when I use WinMx and all other programs are working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

This is a well-known problem, but the solution isn't well-known, as you can tell from the other answers you are getting.

Right-click on the exe file for winmx in your program files directory. Select "Properties". Under the "Compatibility" tab, click on "Disable visual Themes".

You'll never have the WinMx window go kerflooey on you again.

Slyck really ought to put this in the WinMx FAQ.
nycram2

Postby anley » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:54 pm

Thanks for all your replies everyone.

I'll give you suggestion (nycram2) a try and report back here in 2-3 days to tell you if it's all worked.
anley

Postby nms04 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:56 am

the interface isn't the nicest one, but i've never had any problems :-/
nms04

Postby anley » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:19 am

So far so good on the winmx fix. No problems with the screen going all funny on me although yes some things on the interface do look a little bit different, although this is a very small price to pay to get the program back working.

Thanks a lot
anley

Postby nycram2 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:56 am

anley wrote:So far so good on the winmx fix. No problems with the screen going all funny on me although yes some things on the interface do look a little bit different, although this is a very small price to pay to get the program back working.

Thanks a lot

Back in the dark ages (2002) a lot of programs with graphics didn't work under XP because MS changed the graphics interface for XP. You can easily check this by googling on "disable visual themes" (with the quotes).

Winmx uses graphics to display text. That's one of its strengths, but also one of its weaknesses, because the developers seem to always be one interface-change behind the rest of the world.
nycram2

Return to WinMX