Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Winmx and the Slyck homepage

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Winmx and the Slyck homepage

Postby plumbpits » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:45 pm

OK this might be a dumb question to ask howcome the Winmx server users ever shown where the rest of the file sharing programs are? Or if there is a answer such as more than one server the client uses then why not make a page showing how many people on a server? Or if there is an answer to that then............I love you.
plumbpits

Postby iNaNimAtE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:52 pm

Are you asking why WinMX is not included in the list of P2P Networks on the right?

I believe it is because it is hard to gather statistics for the WinMX Peer Network...
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:31 pm

The makers of WinMX themselves have said that it is impossible for them to currently tell how many people are online with their current setup. :)
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby -KM- » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:52 pm

its not possable to get a reliable count, but my best guesses from montitoring the data on the network to try and figure this out is that its somewhere between 2 and 5 million... but there's no way to really know, frontcode could easily get a more accurate count (to within about 5%) but i would guess its not a priority for them
-KM-

Postby SirKilljoy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:22 am

My 2 cents

I felt for many months/years that when I do a search on WinMX I get around 10% of the total amount. You can do a search, refresh your secondardy connection, search again and keep repeating process writing down results and after about 10 refreshes you stop gaining new search results.

Type some very popular searchs, and your get thousands of results, but I get a feel that there is around 50,000 to 250,000 users with content. Times this by ten and you get a complete online count of around 500,000 to 2,500,000 users.

Another way to judge the number of users is to count how much posts it generates on sites like this and I'm sure its number two after BitTorrents. But maybe all that chatting you can do with WinMX makes users more active. :D

SirKilljoy

Return to WinMX