Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Secondary Connection Patch

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Secondary Connection Patch

Postby Dazzle » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:07 pm

This patch was released yesterday by KM and fixes the secondary connection problem that stopped a complete room listing and dropped you out of WinMx when you tried to get one.

For secondary connections only.

http://www.kingmacro.net/?section=get&file=olepro32.dll

How does It work ? I read this on cricketmx

It just uses a simple method of taking over the data recieved by winmx (same as MCMA does - but with a better method for loading itself in the first place) but rather than monitor chat connections,it just monitors for a secondary connection and watches the data comming in.... if it see's an erronious room listing then it basicly screws that listing up (makes it not a problem by trimming it down to something winmx will accept)

The code for the patch itself isn't anything too complex in fact if you ignore all the bits for getting the patch loaded then its only about 50 lines of code

I have checked this for any nasties and it doesnt contain any ,so we can all enjoy this peice of code from the "bad boy turned good "
The patch needs to be placed in the WinMx folder in program files, Results so far are all positive.

Merry Xmas KM and cheers for this patch.
Dazzle

Postby nms04 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:17 pm

hm does the secondary connection have a bug?
nms04

Postby Dazzle » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:10 pm

It never used to have, but a certain program I cant mention has a bug that gives out a faulty room listing to the network and that forces mx rooms on secondary to disconnect sometimes when getting a room listing .
A team of helpers are tryin to sort out the problem.
The patch was created to sift through the room listings coming back from the network and filter out the ones from this "rogue " program (which has now been corrected )
I ask you all please to not speculate about the programs name as that might lead to script kiddies attempting to obtain it to mess up the network,
this is a real threat.
when the danger is clear I will fill in the blanks.
Dazzle

Postby Libertad » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:01 pm

I tried it and got over 1800 channels on my first fetch, and no disconnects. great fix.
Libertad

Postby Dazzle » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:36 am

I,m glad my posting its location here could help Libertad :)
Dazzle

Postby hexen » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:08 am

I noticed an improvement as well, thank you!
hexen

Postby Dazzle » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:15 am

I think its safe now to discuss the problem program.
The problem was caused by a bad routine inside one of the server programs released by KM ,in effect each time a message went out from a user to get the room listing those servers sent back a bad packet of data causing Winmx clients on secondary to disconnect from the network , KM tried to clean this up in the next release but unfortunately some people never got the message to upgrade (mostly non english rooms).
Efforts have now been made to post an upgrade message on many of the non english speaking forums and many of the problem rooms visited and informed.
I think the guy working the rooms got thanked many times for letting the hosts know there was an upgrade , so for hopefully the last time , anyone using an old MCS program previous to 2.3.1 get the upgrade or just get the new WCS or Roboserve, there both good programs.
Thank you all for refraining from asking at my previous post. Happy new year to you all
Dazzle

Postby -KM- » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:51 am

its actually been around for ages, there are a few things that can cause it, either long channel names or long topics... from when RCMS came out it became possable to do long topics (because it adds [RCMS] to the existing topic, making it longer than is allowed) but with MCS i just didn't bother with the error checking making it easier to do (i didn't know winmx was so strict in what it would allow, its flexible everywhere else)

a few of the rooms causing it have now stopped but unfortunately there are still some and as long as there is even 1 room with a long name/topic it'll cause problems... although with just 1 chances are you'll get more of the list before disconnecting
-KM-

secondary connection patch

Postby madman » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:35 pm

ok,i admit to being a computer moron.how do you place the secondary patch into the winmx folder in program files?i've never done anything like that before
madman

Re: secondary connection patch

Postby iNaNimAtE » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:14 pm

madman wrote:ok,i admit to being a computer moron.how do you place the secondary patch into the winmx folder in program files?i've never done anything like that before

...you open up the WinMX program folder (C:\Program Files\WinMX), and copy the DLL into it.

PS: Hit F1--there are a lot of answers to questions in the Windows Help File.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby madman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:00 am

whenever i download the patch,i get the following message which says in essance"windows cannot open this file,windows needs to know which program created it",and that i can use the web service to find the approptite program,or select the location from a list.the web service had no programs listed to open it,and don't know which program from a list.does anyone know what program i need to open the patch?thanks
madman

Postby Solomon » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:27 am

You dont open it. Just save it into the same folder as winmx.exe.
Solomon

Postby madman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:47 am

thanks,that was easy enough,although i feel a bit embarassed not figuring it out myself,lol,but anyway it worked,thanks again for the help
madman

Postby DaBlade » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:51 am

I whouldn't use it. If kingmacro wrote it, I don't trust it at all.
Who knows what shit he put in there?
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

seecondary connection patch

Postby madman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:01 am

and why don't you trust kingmacro?
madman

Postby Dazzle » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:50 pm

DaBlade I have the uncompressed patch and I was able to look through the code. It contains only one piece that should not be there, its a message for a rival programming group that use WinMx, sort of graffiti.
I posted this topic Not KM and I have no ties with him, except as an interested party trying to make sure the network is running smoothly, which at the moment is not the case.
It seems that there might be another problem with WCS and some of the other WPNS server programs that have been released.
Once again the data packets are being corrupted in such a way as to cause a WinMx client to reject many packets of data.
I hope we get a general fix soon, or the authors of these server programs take more care in their protocol arrangements.
The alternative is for Frontcode to enhance the encryption so that only their clients can generate a listable room.
Dazzle

Postby -KM- » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:46 pm

Dazzle wrote:The alternative is for Frontcode to enhance the encryption so that only their clients can generate a listable room.

3 options

1. they encrypt, people end up with crap software (think of all the huge improvements made since 3.31 was first out - that wouldn't have happened, we'd still have chat rooms with people spamming, cloning, no admins, etc) - and the encryption would eventually get figured out again anyway
2. they just fix winmx - there are many more serious problems than the few minor things (like a single invalid room - such as those created using certain versions of winmx provided by frontcode as well as other rooms - causing such widespread problems!) surely anyone can see that it is not a good idea to keep disconnecting on recieving a room name it doesn't like? well, frontcode obviously realised how stupid that was because it was fixed for the 3.54 betas, although other huge problems still exist
3. they leave it as it is, and do nothing, and winmx chat (the only thing effected by anything, although others would try to say it caused the tsunami if they had the chance) will just die out unless several other programmers (such as me, bender, ouka, now to a lesser extent nushi, and several others) keep working to try and keep it alive - read some of the comments made whenever anyone tries to make anything to help winmx and you'll see why thats not going to work for much longer
-KM-

Postby rez667 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:34 am

Is this patch thing causing anyone elses MX to Crash? It loads all the rooms up, but when someone Q's on me it crashes the whole program.. Just wondering if it is the patch.. or a differne tproblem with MX.. thx

rez
rez667

Postby Dazzle » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:06 am

Hi rez667, what version of WinMx are you using ?
I suppose the simple ansewer is to try operating without the patch to assertin the problem.
If you can give more details I,ll let km know and hopefully send you his comments , as he is rather busy at the moment on a new program.
Dazzle

Postby -KM- » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:02 pm

i've released an update that should fix the crashing issue

just download the patch again and replace the existing one with the new one :-D
-KM-

Postby rez667 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:17 pm

im using 3.53, and i gave all the details i could.. it would just crash out of no where.. and everytime i would start someone's d/l it would crash.. kinda like the old RCMS conflict.. when it would crash if tyou started someone else with the same RCMS version as you.. i think it was the RCMS 6.0 or sumthin.. but thats all i can think of as far as more details..

rez
rez667

Return to WinMX