Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

RIAA question

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

RIAA question

Postby RedCell989 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:02 pm

After reading about TechTV's RIAA hitlist I begin to wonder just how many people will be screwed with before the courts begin to realize all the lawsuits are effecting a majority of the population economically. I think comcast and the other major ISP's need to take into account that if their customers are being sued into oblivion.. they might not have many customers left. The more people that are sued the worse our economy gets IMHO, there must be some way to overcome these guys before they overcome the majority of america.
RedCell989

Postby iNaNimAtE » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:59 pm

I think that unless people stop downloading, which will never happen, the RIAA will continue to go on a rampage. After a while (years), they will eventually give up with the fear tactics and try some productive measures to compensate for the pseudo-loss in sales, but if those flop they may just go back to the courts.

Yes, it may be hurting the economy, but do they really care?
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby raar » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:23 am

Okay. Here's my piece on this whole thing. The Riaa really doesn't give a shit about the few million that have been downloading. What they fear is the future. The people who are just now becoming computer literate. They have to show them that there is something to fear, so they will populate the new pay apps. They know that the net will be the place to get the tunes, (even if not from them. lol), so they are just trying to get their grips into them first before we do. lol.
They know that there will always be those few million who will always know how to get music for free. And they know there's not much they can do about it. They know about these sites, which educate the novice. So they are paying the big bucks to adveritse and sue. So don't worry too much. But just pray you aren't one of the few that they use to scare the rest of the world into paying.
raar

Postby red duck » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:33 am

But just pray you aren't one of the few that they use to scare the rest of the world into paying.

in addition to praying i recommend getting yourself protowall, and not downloading very popular mp3's.
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby RedCell989 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:40 am

Whats a protowall.. and I never download music from people I don't know.. don't share metallica ect. If I share music it's usually classic rock, oldies or something not like mettalica that is so popular.
RedCell989

Postby iNaNimAtE » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:31 pm

Protowall is an application that blocks certain known IPs from your computer (such as the RIAA). It isn't perfect by any means, but it helps.

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.php?n ... page&pid=2
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby raar » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:20 am

Sounds similar to Random Nut's, "Peer Guardian". I use to use this, but I figured they could change their ip addresses as often as I take in air, so I figured really, what's the use. I use WinMX exclusively and I still got stung by many undesirables with it. Mainly being scanned and whatever they do with the information of my sharing. Nothing ever happened, but then I am in Canada. Btw, all my files are completely available. I figure if they're gonna get me, they'll get me. It's the chance I take to share and try out new music.
In the end, we all know that WinMX is not high on their priority list. It is one of the cleanest, as far as spyware and good for basic mp3s.
Bottom line: The decision is yours.
raar

Return to WinMX