Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX 3.60

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

WinMX 3.60

Postby DepecheNode » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:13 am

Anybody know what 'fragmented file support' means in the 3.60 beta?
DepecheNode

Re: WinMX 3.60

Postby notbob » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:16 am

DepecheNode wrote:Anybody know what 'fragmented file support' means in the 3.60 beta?

something along the lines of

"they'll never see it anyway, since i'm not making it, so i'll make up some crazy crap!"
notbob

Postby klick » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:21 am

Sounds like fragments of files will be uploaded to speed up uploads, or simply the post above! LMAO
klick

Postby DepecheNode » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:32 am

Seriously... is it something along the lines of newsgroup type contributions?

I don't use newsgroups (no time to learn, right now).

Sounds interesting.
DepecheNode

Postby tm, » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:01 am

I think what is probably meant by 'fragmented file support' is the way many modern P2Ps use file hashes consisting of multiple partfile checksums. For instance, in eDonkey/eMule, every file regardless of size is transported as separate 9MB segments, and each segment checked for corruption before being combined into a completed file. This all happens invisibly within the p2p application - it is not like using newsgroups which require the user to download separate file parts before manually combining them to recreate the file.

Large files like software isos practically require a multisegmented transported protocol, since a corruption only requires a re-download of the affected part, and not the entire file. In a single-segment-checksum download all it takes is a tiny corruption and the entire file is useless and must be re-downloaded.

But WinMX's single checksummed files and sequentially progressed downloads do have some advantages over the 'fragmented' file transfer approach. For one thing, in WinMX you can listen to a song as it downloads, something that is either impossible (eDonkey) or barely possible (Fasttrack) in most other P2Ps.

I hope that WinMX will offer the user the choice of downloading using either protocol - the old transfer protocol which was perfect for MP3s, as well as the upcoming new protocol for large files.
tm,

Postby SirKilljoy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:51 am

I've read that poor Kevin Hearn lives in Canada, but just how far North does he live.... Because he seems to sleep for 6 months at a time :P

I guess we will have to wait for the next spring's thaw appears before Fragmented file support is added.
Last edited by SirKilljoy on Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SirKilljoy

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:59 am

Well, man do I hate when a thread like this, specifically the name, always gets me to click the link and find it's the same ol' shit.

I agree with notbob, never will there be a 3.60!
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby SirKilljoy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:23 am

So replying like this will make you click again.....

:D
SirKilljoy

Postby HEAT84 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:37 am

While were on the subject (sort of) what does network turnover mean? Is it gonna have to be shut down and restarted? But its de-centeralized so thats not possible right? But I heard that Frontcode owns peer cache SERVERS.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby j_dogg » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:27 am

Network turnover will mean that the old clients won't be able to connect to the new clients, so to join the new network you have to have a new client, this will cause the network to be split in 2 for a bit...
j_dogg

Postby Imagenyuss » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:58 am

j_dogg is right about the network being split in two for a time, but the old one will inevitably disappear as more and more people join the new one (even though they are both decentralized).
an example
When the switch from v2.6 to v3.x happened each were connecting to different networks. As time went by people were no longer able to connect using v2.6 because there simply weren't enough primary users online at any given time to support the network. People then had to upgrade or only connect through opennap servers. This will most probably happen again with future winMX upgrades.
-micah
Imagenyuss

Postby raar » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:55 am

As for Kevin, I was under the impression that their headquarters were out of Windsor, Ontario. That's right near the Detroit, Michigan border.
As for, will we see a new winmx? Yeah, sure, why not. Only factor is being, when? lol.
Nice info there guys on the fragmented files and network turnover.
I'm really hoping there is a new one, although each one I've found has done the job it is created for. I'm not into the chats and such. Just give my my mp3s. ;)
raar

Postby -KM- » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:49 am

it means that the old network will be shut down (if you try to use 3.2 for example it wont work because the network has been shut down) - shutting down the network would probably take about 24 hours before it completely vanishes as the decentralised system means that existing connections will conitnue to function, but i'm sure we'll have at least a few days to upgrade before the current network is shut down
-KM-

Return to WinMX