Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Why I understand Notorious; Why WinMX sucks

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby ElsaPaak » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:39 pm

The problem with Winmx and KazaaWhatever is that the latter is WYSIWYG, and the former is like cute boys. To start with that last one: WinMX promises a lot, but in the end it don't delivers. You do a search and you see oh wow, 15 users have this song, this is gonna be as fast as an ice cube in hell, VAVOOM, but then you look at transfer window, and you see you're number 204 or something. Especially if you want a bigger file, like 100 or 200 mb and if you think about all them mountain folk without ADSL, how long is it gonna take if 200 peeps before you also want to d.l. this over a modem?? .... forget it. Now Kazaa is WYSIWYG: what you see is what you get, mostly, to be honest. Personally i've never seen fake files with my 3 to 4 d.l.'s a day, so don't even mention that.

Okay, yeah sure i've gotten my songs on WimMX too, of course, but this a matter of degree: Kazaa is more WYSIWYG than WinMX, and WinMX is a very cute boy.

Plus, WinMX is more work: If you start it up, you have to log on to all those servers to get a decent result, at least I have to, auto log on or w.e. crashes wimx, so ... While with kazaa i start it up and i can go clean my kitchen (not that I ever do THAT, of course)
.............\\\|////.......
.............\\ - - //.....
.............( @ @ )......
+oOOo== (_)== oOOo===+
"Anchovies, anchovies, you're so delicious, I love you more than all the other fishes" - Dawn Summers.
ElsaPaak

Postby SlyckTom » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:55 pm

I'm still amazed after all these years and hardly any updates (like the chat revisions made a difference), WinMX is still able to arouse such passion. :-D
SlyckTom

Postby SlyckChuck » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:58 pm

Indeed!!! What would people expect? A miracle? Winmx is a good p2p app but too many people bitch. Go figure...
The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Re: Why I understand Notorious; Why WinMX sucks

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:04 am

ElsaPaak wrote:Okay, yeah sure i've gotten my songs on WimMX too, of course, but this a matter of degree: Kazaa is more WYSIWYG than WinMX, and WinMX is a very cute boy.

Never get any fake files? Then you should start downloading more. FastTrack is polluted with fake files, sources drop like flies, and the RIAA has it as its number one target. What version of KaZaA are you using? Is it KMD? In that case, apparently you didn't take into account the massive spyware it comes with. If you use K-Lite, then I don't know how you are able to find any files.

ElsaPaak wrote:Plus, WinMX is more work: If you start it up, you have to log on to all those servers to get a decent result, at least I have to, auto log on or w.e. crashes wimx, so ... While with kazaa i start it up and i can go clean my kitchen (not that I ever do THAT, of course)

All these servers? WinMX only has one server. I think you are referring to OpenNap, which isn't required or needed in any way to find decent results.

Now I must admit, WinMX does have some queuing issues to resolve, but it is still a fine piece of work.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby Nessmaster » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:34 am

All I here is people b!tch about WinMx and it's queues! Listen no one is forcing you to use WinMX, you can use whatever network you want! But it is interesting that many people have goten what they want from WinMX and a bonus, so it's obviously the users fault if he/she is not getting any files.

Now that thing about the slow downloads, its the same on every network. Bit Torrent, eMule, Fast Track, whatever, there will be 56k or less dial-up users, so you just got to deal with the 'mountain people'.
Nessmaster

Postby ElsaPaak » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:14 pm

Listen, don't get me wrong, i love WinMX, but I got tired of people doing too much Kazaa-bashing and or Notorious-bashing.
Okay, "love WinMX" is maybe overstating it, but i use it of course, and sometimes I even get something on it. I just wanna say: lets be balanced about these things and apps, both have their advantages and they even might be different to different people.

I'm sorry if i sounded bitchy, I'd be the last to complain about a gift horse which carries one so far and such a long way.

I use Klr 76, and it is too, slim pickings, but i largely [95 perc] get what i look 4.
.............\\\|////.......
.............\\ - - //.....
.............( @ @ )......
+oOOo== (_)== oOOo===+
"Anchovies, anchovies, you're so delicious, I love you more than all the other fishes" - Dawn Summers.
ElsaPaak

Aha

Postby TDO » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:28 pm

Mmm, I'm for kazaa .. any new movie you will want to dl will have like 50-50 fake rate but why go movies through kazaa ?! untill it get's there .. phew ..

I mostly don't use WinMX but it's sort of "last resort", in winmx there are many "rare" files ... rare audio files so-to-speak.
TDO

Postby Skel » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:35 pm

So many reason why i love filetopia...No DRAMA..... Also its neat beign able too talk too the man who makes it when he is on. Oh and great people and well no dramma since if u on Fieltopia u have too like it. :wink:
The Few The proud the Filetopians
http://www.filetopia.com
[Avatar removed - please resize to be 100px wide max]
Image removed - No graphics in sigs please! - HC
Forum Rules
Skel

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:05 pm

ElsaPaak wrote:Listen, don't get me wrong, i love WinMX, but I got tired of people doing too much Kazaa-bashing and or Notorious-bashing.
Okay, "love WinMX" is maybe overstating it, but i use it of course, and sometimes I even get something on it. I just wanna say: lets be balanced about these things and apps, both have their advantages and they even might be different to different people.
I'm sorry if i sounded bitchy, I'd be the last to complain about a gift horse which carries one so far and such a long way.
I use Klr 76, and it is too, slim pickings, but i largely [95 perc] get what i look 4.

I agree. KLR yields good results and I can find what I am looking for 95% of the time, and I don't get fakes (although I don't download pop music).
I can name a copious amount of music I can find with KLR or KCeasy but could NEVER find on WinMX. MX is good solely for popular music, and even then it is declining (have been finding many fake and corrupted files lately.)
Then again, different networks are good for different files.
WitchHunterRobin

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:49 pm

WitchHunterRobin wrote:
ElsaPaak wrote:Listen, don't get me wrong, i love WinMX, but I got tired of people doing too much Kazaa-bashing and or Notorious-bashing.

I agree. KLR yields good results and I can find what I am looking for 95% of the time, and I don't get fakes (although I don't download pop music).
I can name a copious amount of music I can find with KLR or KCeasy but could NEVER find on WinMX. MX is good solely for popular music, and even then it is declining (have been finding many fake and corrupted files lately.)
Then again, different networks are good for different files.

I could not disagree more about the rare music on winmx, but to each his own, opinion. I've got a load of stuff I never have seen anywhere else. But maybe its what I download. I like older stuff and I've got some music thats studio takes that you can't even buy. Its cool to hear the musicians talk between takes on how they should play their songs.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Return to WinMX