Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Is WinMX a safe p2p network to use?

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Is WinMX a safe p2p network to use?

Postby max2thag » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:15 pm

Is it safe? No one has been sued off of it, and it is a much smaller community, what are your thoughts?
max2thag

Postby iNaNimAtE » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:21 pm

No P2P network is safe. WinMX is, in my opinion, a much safer network than others, but you are in no way immune from anything.

However, if you are concerned about getting caught, then WinMx (and PeerGuardian or ProtoWall) is for you.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby Skater00 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:47 pm

WinMx is pretty safe. I've used it since it first came out, and always loved it, but the ques are enormous, which is proablly the only downside. To answeryou question, WinMx is very safe compared to fasttrack and gnutella.
Skater00

Postby JaKo30 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:05 pm

im not complaining, but wonder why winmx hasnt been targeted by the riaa as its easily a more popular beloved p2p network more so than not. Maybe cause theyre a LOT more low key than Kazaa and Morphues rarely updating their program? Is it cause of the que issue? It could be something specific we dont know about :?:
JaKo30

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:10 pm

JaKo30 wrote:im not complaining, but wonder why winmx hasnt been targeted by the riaa as its easily a more popular beloved p2p network more so than not. Maybe cause theyre a LOT more low key than Kazaa and Morphues rarely updating their program? Is it cause of the que issue? It could be something specific we dont know about :?:

Because the Fasttrack network has enough newbies and copy infringement to give the RIAA/MPAA a lifestime of work (or until FastCrap network finally goes under). :lol:
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby N04h » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:51 am

Actually, people have been sued from using MX. RIAA(or whatever they are called) in Japan have busted a few users.They also send out warning IMs to users sharing copyrighted MP3 files. I got one myself.
N04h

Postby jesghPC » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:48 am

Hello :) new to the forum..

I like to say (from my experience) there are tonnes of bots sharing fake mp3's on WinMX (i don't know if they are RIAA related). You can look for yourself... type a famous artist and do a 'show full paths' ... you'll notice many users with the same filepath.. usually starting with C:\Fasttrack Shared... now i don't think this is just one user with multiple names ;)
jesghPC

Postby tm, » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:21 am

jesghPC wrote:there are tonnes of bots sharing fake mp3's on WinMX (i don't know if they are RIAA related). You can look for yourself... type a famous artist and do a 'show full paths' ... you'll notice many users with the same filepath.. usually starting with C:\Fasttrack Shared... now i don't think this is just one user with multiple names ;)

There are several of those corruptionBots with fake files on WinMX - with a huge shared folder. I looked up their isp, and it was using T3 lines. (so any hit song you get very fast is suspect)Another thing is that many of the different songs they share have the same hash number (all they did was change the file name)

If you use PeerGuardian or Protowall, those computers with the poisoned files will be blocked out. I think most WinMX regulars know about them.
tm,

Postby iNaNimAtE » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:43 pm

N04h wrote:Actually, people have been sued from using MX. RIAA(or whatever they are called) in Japan have busted a few users.They also send out warning IMs to users sharing copyrighted MP3 files. I got one myself.

A lot of those IMs don't come from the RIAA (or equivalent.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Return to WinMX