Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Speaking of moving on...

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Speaking of moving on...

Postby HookedOnFonix » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:00 am

I've been pretty loyal to WinMX for about 1.5 yrs now. Other than that, I do BT.

But, I think that it might be time to move on.

What I'm looking for is a P2P that doesn't contain spyware...and doesn't hasn't had it's users sued by the RIAA.

....so, without trying everything on the board...

...who recommends which app, and why?

Thanks for your input.
HookedOnFonix

Speaking of moving on...

Postby SlyckChuck » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:07 am

Try emule or edonkey2000 or Ares. Try em & if you like em keep em, if not just try another app. Have fun!!!
The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:29 am

I say eMule. Just give it some time to get your credits up, and you'll like it.

Let people upload.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:28 am

I've stuck with eMule Plus combined with newsgroups for a long time now. With those two there's very little I can't find. Depends what you're looking for though I suppose - neither of those two are particularly good for finding individual mp3s, but they can't be beaten for albums, movies and apps.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby j_dogg » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:47 am

I'd recommend Ares, Shareaza (for sole G2 access) and Piolet for MP2P....

Piolet and Ares both contain opt-out spyware in the installer, and Piolet an ad banner, but Shareaza is completely crapware free...
j_dogg

Postby HookedOnFonix » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:05 pm

Thanks folks!!

I'm gonna give your suggestions a try, ....just as soon as BT has seeded for a couple of hours.
HookedOnFonix

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:26 pm

iNaNimAtE wrote:I say eMule. Just give it some time to get your credits up, and you'll like it.

Why bother waiting for such an ass backwards system to kick in? Use eDonkey.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby iNaNimAtE » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:30 pm

You don't have to do much waiting. If you just run eMule all the time, there is no waiting. Only in the first couple of weeks do you have to give it a little time. After that, it is all downhill. I happen to be maxing out my bandwidth right now on eMule.
iNaNimAtE

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:35 pm

iNaNimAtE wrote:You don't have to do much waiting. If you just run eMule all the time, there is no waiting. Only in the first couple of weeks do you have to give it a little time. After that, it is all downhill. I happen to be maxing out my bandwidth right now on eMule.

Yeah and that's why the eDonkey network has such a bad reputation, thanks eMule.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby iNaNimAtE » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:37 pm

Bad reputation? Maybe if you look at the poll on this forum (which I believe you just posted on), you will notice that eDonkey2000 has the most votes for the best network. Apparently eMule's "bad reputation" isn't bad enough to kick it off #1...
iNaNimAtE

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:47 pm

How many n00bs do you see that come and say "eMule's slow" or "eDonkey's slow"? I see a hell of a lot of people claiming that just about any other network you can think of is faster than eDonkey.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby The Notorious » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:53 pm

Overnet is just as slow... :lol:
The Notorious

Postby Skel » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:07 pm

Hmm Filetopia ia safe its a real small network downloads are single source tho and not all that fast but it has a great chat maybe try that :?
The Few The proud the Filetopians
http://www.filetopia.com
[Avatar removed - please resize to be 100px wide max]
Image removed - No graphics in sigs please! - HC
Forum Rules
Skel

Postby iNaNimAtE » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:52 pm

BigWillyStyle42 wrote:How many n00bs do you see that come and say "eMule's slow" or "eDonkey's slow"? I see a hell of a lot of people claiming that just about any other network you can think of is faster than eDonkey.

It seems slow, because they don't know how the network works. That's like saying "my web server doesn't work" when I forgot to forward ports on my router. A web server can work, but you just need to know how to use it. eMule can be fast, but you need to know what you're doing.

Now your original point was that eMule was a waste of time; just use something else. I think that using eMule over eDonkey is better, because it preserves the integrity of file sharing, and doesn't allow leechers. Now I believe the eDonkey2000 network is far more superior than others, because you can get many files that you can't get anywhere else, and the majority of files are zipped up into archives to enable downloading en masse, instead of just getting individual files. And like everything else, you can max out your bandwidth no problem using eMule (I've done it for 2 days straight so far).
iNaNimAtE

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:22 am

iNaNimAtE wrote:Now your original point was that eMule was a waste of time; just use something else. I think that using eMule over eDonkey is better, because it preserves the integrity of file sharing, and doesn't allow leechers. Now I believe the eDonkey2000 network is far more superior than others, because you can get many files that you can't get anywhere else, and the majority of files are zipped up into archives to enable downloading en masse, instead of just getting individual files. And like everything else, you can max out your bandwidth no problem using eMule (I've done it for 2 days straight so far).

Agreed ...

Whilst eMule may not be perfect (what is?), it works, and it works well! It rewards those who share lots with fast downloads .... what could be fairer!?
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:44 pm

iNaNimAtE wrote:I think that using eMule over eDonkey is better, because it preserves the integrity of file sharing, and doesn't allow leechers.

Where the hell do you get that? Unless you can support your comments don't post such parp.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby iNaNimAtE » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:59 pm

Don't worry, I have no problem supporting my comments.

eMule's Queue and Credit system helps to ensure that everyone will get the file he wants by promoting those that upload back to the network.

Id est, an anti-leeching feature. The more you share, the faster you move through queues. This helps promotes people for sharing, which keeps the integrity of P2P alive.
iNaNimAtE

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:01 pm

Basically you're saying that since eDonkey doesn't use eMule god awful credit system it's a leach tool, which is utter bullshit. eDonkey's horde system is a much fairer way to prevent leaches since it's based on immediately available data and provides immediate benefit as opposed to eMule's credit system which only gives you a bump up someone's queue.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby ROYGBIV » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:28 pm

On topic: I use eMule and IRC to get my files.

eMule for my software and movies since it has the best database of all the networks (IMO).

IRC for my albumbs.

I also use Piolet if I ever want a single mp3.

BigWillyStyle42: Whats so aweful about the credit system? It rewards uploaders which every P2P system should do. It's the uploaders that keep the P2P clients alive. Why shouldn't they get rewarded? IMO I think if people want to leech then let them get the slow speeds, etc. If everyone leeched where would we get are files from?
ROYGBIV

Postby Kullt » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:10 am

I've used the ed2k network for quite a while now and i keep switching between clients (Emule/Edonkey).

I have recently come to the conclusion that the edonkey's Horde system performs better than emule's Credit system. I am no leach, i'm constantly uploading at full capacity. :D

However emule often finds more sources. Also emule's credit system seems to discriminate against edonkey (emule clients forever jumping ahead of me in the queues because i can't earn credits), while edonkey uploads to emule fine.

I'm currently using emule, but i will switch back to edonkey when my d/ls finish.

IMHO both clients will gain from using seperate networks (Kademlia/Overnet).
Kullt

Postby iNaNimAtE » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:26 am

I looked into the horde system, and all I saw was ways to get files faster. This doesn't get rid of leechers, it helps out sharers. eMule on the other hand essentially doesn't let anyone get any decent speeds unless you share, but using eDonkey without sharing can get you plenty of good speeds. Going through the queues in eMule due to credits is the exact idea, and it discourages people who don't have enough credits to get a file fast enough. How do I know it is effectively discouraging people? Well look at this:
BigWillyStyle42 wrote:Why bother waiting for such an ass backwards system to kick in? Use eDonkey.

BigWillyStyle42 wrote:How many n00bs do you see that come and say "eMule's slow" or "eDonkey's slow"?

Aside from that, I have talked to numerous people who say eMule is slow simply because they have no idea how it actually works. Why use eMule? Because people who actually know what they're doing share and contribute to the community.

Now I am going to end this debate, because this is completely off topic in a WinMx category. If you would like to continue, go make a poll in the eDonkey2000 section polling "Which is better, eDonkey or eMule?"
iNaNimAtE

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:18 pm

It's irrelevent where this conversation is. So how do you think horde lets you get files faster? Does the bandwidth magically appear? No, it cuts out the leachers since the amount your partners sends you depends on how much you send them. Since leachers don't send anything, they won't receive much. Just like eMule's credit system, however, it takes effect immediately, not after weeks like the credit system. Also consider this, there are 2 million simultaneous users on the eDonkey network. What are the chances that after uploading to someone, they're still going to have a file you need? Pretty damn slim. The network was much better off before eMule implemented their credit system.
BigWillyStyle42

Return to WinMX