Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How Can the RIAA spy on WINMXer's?

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How Can the RIAA spy on WINMXer's?

Postby gman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:04 am

As someone who knows just enough about PC's to be dangerous, I've been wondering: How easy would it be for the RIAA to do a failsafe ID on somebody sharing files on WinMX?

I know that on Kazza & KC-Easy, the IP address of the PC with the shared file is plainly visible if you hover over the name of the file - but, on WinMX, there is no visible identifier other than the person's chosen screen name.

Do you think it's worth signing up for a service such as AnonX if you're going to be doing a lot of file sharing - and is such a service failsafe? Or, is there a program I can run that will mask my IP address while sharing files?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
gman

Postby serrebi101 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:48 am

What the riaa's hired people do when searching for the next victom to sue is brows your files, and see how many files you have. If you disable browsing of files, you cut your chances of getting sued a lot. Even without doing this, it's next to nothing you would get sued anyway.
:D In terms of win mx, that has not got a sued victom yet.
serrebi101

Re: How Can the RIAA spy on WINMXer's?

Postby Coffee » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:51 am

gman wrote:As someone who knows just enough about PC's to be dangerous, I've been wondering: How easy would it be for the RIAA to do a failsafe ID on somebody sharing files on WinMX?

I know that on Kazza & KC-Easy, the IP address of the PC with the shared file is plainly visible if you hover over the name of the file - but, on WinMX, there is no visible identifier other than the person's chosen screen name.

Do you think it's worth signing up for a service such as AnonX if you're going to be doing a lot of file sharing - and is such a service failsafe? Or, is there a program I can run that will mask my IP address while sharing files?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Riaa,MPAA tend to use hacked clients which are basiclly automated bots that scan, match send out emails ect, so the user interface doesnt really mean much..

I would keep my eye on the next version of MP2P clients(blubster and Piolet)supposly supporting multiable files types like avi rar ect and most importantly Ip spoofing for uploaders,
which basiclly means the reciving computer will receive about 5- 10 ip address in the packetheaders from which the source will only be one of them, this will also be encrypted so it will be hard to tell were the files are reallying comming from, its probaly a bit more complex than that but thats how i understand it.. :oops: 8)
Coffee

Postby nebin333 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:01 am

Someone who was even an absolute n00b to networking could open up a command prompt and type in a few keys to find out all the net connections made by their PC. They could then start downloading from someone and do it again. Boom, you've got the IP. The program doesn't have to wrap it up and hand it to you. :wink: (Just imagine what a dedicated hacker could do to screw your life)

eMule is very safe (relatively speaking) because users can see you as a source when searching for a file but by default can't search all the files you're sharing. Also, programs such as ProtoWall help block certain IPs from ever connecting to you, increasing your security and peace of mind a bit more.
"For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction." -Khalil Gibran
nebin333

yes u can get ip

Postby Snip » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:46 pm

deleted
Last edited by Snip on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snip

Postby Solomon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:00 pm

Lets get this straight. You can take a hash code, and work out the IP from that?

B******!

There is no way you can do this. Hash codes refer to files, not IP's. Several people can have the same file, with the same hash code, and have totally different IP's.
Solomon

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:51 pm

The_Kid wrote:Lets get this straight. You can take a hash code, and work out the IP from that?

B******!

There is no way you can do this. Hash codes refer to files, not IP's. Several people can have the same file, with the same hash code, and have totally different IP's.

I totally agree with you The_Kid, There is absolutely NO way in hell you can work and IP address out of winmx hashes(now kazaa's .dat files are a different story) :wink:

Just remember Snip is a complete and utter liar

#1. U know how to tell when snip is lying?
when he says something.

SO what she says + the truth = 0

Take a look at his\hers other topic = http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=28873&highlight=#28873
Anonymous

Postby Solomon » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:01 pm

Dang, I should have known Snip was a troll. :lol:
Solomon

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:31 am

Ok guys big shock for you, but for once the troll is telling the truth. If you do a whois of anyone on MX you obtain a screen showing a name and a number.
The Hash referred to is the number up top which is your ip address in hexadecimal in reverse (plus another 4 bytes for the port number). Use the windows scientific calculator to try it for yourself ..

Example : whois says 48 6e b5 da 18 71
now take the 18 71 thats the port number (in this case 6257)

next the Da=218 b5=181 6e=110 48=72 (notice its in reverse order)
And so.. 218.181.110.72 is the fictional address using port 6527 .
Dazzle

Postby dogmeat » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:17 am

Getting a users IP address is simple. Just like most networks. WinMX displaying it in hash form does not make it more or less safe to use the network. I doubt the RIAA would use this method anyways. They'd use a bot to connect to users that meet a specific criteria. Once connected they will know if the file shared is in fact material with a copyright and the users IP address.
dogmeat

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:35 am

Hi Dogmeat, what you say is very true. A major part of the court evidence needed is at least a partial download of the file to prove it is indeed copyrighted material, (a defence of having "spoofed" files would be most damaging to those companies involved in evidence collection).
Dazzle

Return to WinMX