Interesting UNPATCHED WinMX Update Message

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby hollowlife1987 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:41 pm

There is a very interesting update message for unpatched winmx versions
Try the new, 100% free TIXATI bittorrent client at http://WWW.TIXATI.COM

taxati.com's server is located in the USA in Seattle while winmx.com is located in Ontario Canada.

But the funny thing is the license agrement of tixati is almost nearly identical to that of winmx.
Also the user interface of tixati also has a winmx like look.

So the question is do you think that the author of tixati is actually the author of winmx?
hollowlife1987

Re: Interesting UNPATCHED WinMX Update Message

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:03 pm

So far (preliminary observations and findings), it would appear that the site has been hijacked, or domain name expired and someone is just spamming it now. People are being advised not to go to the torrent link given at all, for security reasons. Several are working with others on this issue currently, and yes, it is only affecting those non patched. I will provide an update if possible, as it seems this is the "issue" of the night for many.

http://www.winmx.com has been shut down since 2005, so the fact that it is in Canada is not relevant to this issue.

(Edited to give more information in post).
Last edited by sunnyd on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Ok, for those that need to know how to fix the WinMX issue, here are some instructions to do it:

First make sure you have file extensions showing (folders/options)

Shut down WinMX
Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
open HOSTS file with notepad (you are going to edit the HOSTS file)
type in these 3 lines exactly as follows:
127.0.0.1 winmx.com
127.0.0.1 http://www.winmx.com
127.0.0.1 err.winmx.com
save changes, then take the .txt off the file name (rename as HOSTS) file can not be a .txt file
restart WinMX
that will remove the message

This has worked for many already that I am helping this evening.
sunnyd

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:15 am

The amount of folks on an unpatched WinMX is likely less that 100 and those would all be using it for OpenNap so I see little threat in this advertising message at this point, the main page still makes it clear that WinMX is no longer available from that site.

The licence agreement for this new program is goverened by Canadian law and the program itself has already been unpacked and analysed the results of which lead me to believe this is genuine and the domain has not been hijacked.

All folks on patched WinMX will not see the message so its perhaps strange that this has been undertaken but I think this gives more credence to the idea that it is the genuine domain owner.
Dazzle_2

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:22 am

Dazzle_2 wrote:The amount of folks on an unpatched WinMX is likely less that 100 and those would all be using it for OpenNap so I see little threat in this advertising message at this point

Dazzle, are you using WinMX? Are you on OpenNap? Do you really know how many users are on OpenNap servers, public or private? Do you think ALL users are on WinMX peer? Do you think there is a possibility of numerous servers on which the users are on? Did YOU spend ALL evening helping people with fixing this problem? If the torrent address were to be a site trying to obtain ip information (for the sake of giving you an example) and all of a sudden ALL these people were logging on to it, can you see a potential issue with that? OpenNap is not dead, while it IS greatly reduced from prior years, there are still thousands of users out there on various servers using WinMX.

If you are not involved in a resolution to help others, then why post that you think you have the answers and it's all ok and a NON issue? The purpose of my posting was to help people, was your post for the same reason? I DID spend all night helping people Dazzle, and you are lucky you are not seeing my first choice of words for you.

Anyone who did not patch their WinMX after 2005 left the door open to still have their client hit that website (winmx.com) to obtain information, and just so you know, they had to have hit that website (ever heard of a redirect Dazzle?) to get that message in the first place which IS a risk for anyone NOT wanting a client to go to a website THEY are unaware of.
sunnyd

Postby tiny4eva » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:47 am

Sunny old bean how the hell are we. Thought i best post here. Sunny meet Dazzle, or quicks as he is better known by. Only the person who started winmxworld lol. You can be forgiven for not knowing that. An as even i thought most open-nap users didnt use winmx for connecting to opennap, unless of course they are connected to winmx at the same time. As their are much better clients for stand-alone opennap. Im sure Dazzle never meant anything nasty towards the amount of users on open-nap.

As for this new News. Is it Kevin? We have been investigating this, Dazzle at the forefront of checking this new torrent client out source wise. An he and a few others feel that this client is extremely well coded like winmx is. An a few little traits are their that we are picking up, other than the fact this client is packed with a diffrent packer than WinmX.

So should we be alarmed, at the moment 50 50. We think this is Kevin, but we dont think he gives a rats arse about winmx otherwise we would of heard something by now.

Regards

tiny4eva
Still looking after what he left behind.
Winmx, We wont sell out like them Scurvy infected Pirate Bay Boys

http://patch.winmxconex.com
tiny4eva

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks for that tiny, however, a post done clearly for the benefit of helping people (which is what I did, even if many are on a version of WinMX that I don't care for, and I still helped them), should in no way be responded to as "users should disregard it, and it's no big deal", there IS potential risk, and that was the whole point of my posting a resolution to the problem.
sunnyd

Postby tiny4eva » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:59 am

Yes, not knowing who owns the domain is big risk. An you handing out a cure is nothing to be played down, and im sure that wasnt what he was implying. I get the feeling from reading it Dazzle meant merely to try and stem any panic that this is a hijack of some sort. An i really didnt want to say that before someone jumps on that the sky is falling in band wagon.

For users concerned Sunnyd's method is the way to go about it. An your effort in is duely noted, as it has been many times before for the Open-nap network. Say hi to Smoker for me too, my duties "winmx" take alot of play time away and conversations with old friends are missed.

Regards to the Rillo Network

Regards to the folks here.

T4E

tiny4eva

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:33 am

hi tiny, ltns. :)

as for this:

You can be forgiven for not knowing that.

seems immaterial to me. a person asked a question, and sunny posted a reply which directly addressed the issue. any discussion about how no one uses an unpatched MX seems a bit pointless, as it falls into the "who cares?" category of forum posts. The OP uses an unpatched MX, and cares.

it all sounds very reminiscent of a BT user saying "who cares?" when the subject of the MX peer network comes up. i don't really need to point out how loyal WPNP users feel when they read that kind of thing, do i?
MrFredPFL

Postby tiny4eva » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:32 am

lol yes i agree, we wont go thier. An good to see you too MrFred.

tiny4eva

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks for the kind words Tiny, hello back to you. No, I was not aware of who Dazzle was, but I did not need to know that. I now know he has used WinMX though, lol. :wink:

As an update for any users trying to use the fix I posted, IF you are a Windows 2000 user, you would simply change the path to be WINNT rather than WINDOWS, and yes....there are still many users running Windows 2000 out there. :wink:

I don't even use WinMX for a client, but it was (and still is) a great effort from several, to help users remove the potential risk, and the message.
sunnyd

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:57 pm

Mr Fred :
a person asked a question, and sunny posted a reply which directly addressed the issue

But not the question asked unfortunately. Hollow the OP is a programmer and does not use an unpatched MX also he fully knows how to deal with this and that doesnt involve leaving a blank space at the top of the winmx client window so you cant see when updates to patches occur.

You really are getting a bit ambivalent these days.

SunnyD I too feel who I am has no bearing on what I said so lets move on the discussing just what that was.

I was informed late last night that some event had occurred involving winmx.com, I then went over to winmx.com and checked all update bars (3.31, 3.53, 3.54b4) to see this was indeed a true case of advertising this new torrent app, as your aware it was. I was aware that both mxpie, and ourselves have both hijacked the update bar to point to a third party location and thus the majority of WinMX users had already been accounted for, I was also aware that many OpenNap servers don't favour WinMX usage by tradition, and out of this diminishing number its very often the 2.6 version in use there by a few die hards, so I can understand if your perhaps complaining that I was miscounting these folks, your quite right in this, Its very true I don't count them as WinMX users as they don't connect to the WPN and that WinMX version is radically different to the one folks use normally within the WinMX community.

Please don't think I am belitting your help efforts as that's not something I do, help is help and a great asset in any group of folks, however while you where busy patching host files for unpatched users, I was disassembling the new torrent client for design and structural information and thus came to my "no danger" conclusion based on the contents of the client itself in the main, the clients innards are coded in ATL/MFC as is WinMX and the site pages, wording and layout as well as the client layout and license are all factors I took on board before making what I felt was an informed decision to state that there is no "hijacked domain"danger at this time. You may not agree but then perhaps my post was addressed to a different audience, that of the majority third party patched WinMX user who uses the WPN and was most likely to be confused by your post as some where.
Btw if you do some research you,ll know frontcode.com was a Canadian company and the site and peer caches where always US based for no doubt cost reasons, thus your alarm and claim above is based on a flawed premise.

I think time will tell just who is correct on this one so lets agree to meet up here in a year (barring Mr Fred or Tom banning me) and see who needs to state what to whom, is it a deal ? :thumbup:
Dazzle_2

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:11 pm

does not use an unpatched MX

and yet he asked a question based on the results of doing exactly that - using an unpatched mx ;)

(barring Mr Fred or Tom banning me)

several other people could ban you too. ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Actually, I personally don't make deals Dazzle, sorry, (tyvm in advance), and other than saying I hope you don't really think you were the only one disassembling the torrent last nite, I will refrain from further comment, but there is plenty that I could say. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:37 pm

Then I,m truly surprised you dont publicly state anything of worth regarding its contents unlike myself SunnyD, as it could seem to many that by firstly proclaiming that this "appears to be a hijacked domain" your now faced with an embarrassing climb down ?

Btw Mr Fred perhaps I should just ask Hollow to return to inform you himself of the fact he is a patch user as you seem to be implying something different which I find more than concerning when I have already made it clear he is personally known to me as is his work in the community, unlike a lot of other communities we are a tight bunch and keep our eyes and ears open and most folks will channel news of this sort to one of those who can look into it.

It seems fitting to me that the only two people concerned about this are not WinMX but OpenNap users,I suspect strongly that this is why no one has complained about this in the WinMX community as we have already taken care of business and thus this is more a point of topical interest than an actual situation for anyone to handle on our side of the fence, old WinMX 2.6 open nappers on the other hand have seemingly been caught with their pants down.

Back to the topic here: has anyone actually fired this up and checked it out ( the licence I couldnt agree to has prevented me from doing this and other tests :lol: ) .
Dazzle_2

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 pm

i am implying nothing. i am stating he started a thread about the behavior of an UNPATCHED copy of mx. how do i know it's unpatched? it says so in capital letters in the thread subject. what part of the thread topic is unclear to you?

MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:54 pm

If you read my first post, it clearly states:
it would appear that the site has been hijacked, or domain name expired and someone is just spamming it now.

Apparently YOUR definition of worth is a small group compared to the whole group. I posted for the benefit of anyone using WinMX having an issue that was/could be a potential security risk. You chose to basically say it was a non important issue.

Dazzle_2 wrote:an embarrassing climb down

WTF are you talking about? I am not climbing down from anything, if anyone should be embarassed, it's you, acting like you are more important because of "who you are" and your importance, rather than seeing that an entire community needed help, not just YOUR users on peer.

To address your other totally incorrect statement, I suspect you are unaware of just how many WinMX users, use both peer and OpenNap, or once again, you would not have made your comment. Peer users come to OpenNap channels for help ALL the time, so please get off your almighty stance and realize that this whole thing was to help anyone in need, and we actually have an .exe patch designed to correct this current issue for ALL users, however, I posted the manual instructions on here, as many are uncertain of downloading an .exe file. I could have easily posted an http link for it right here, but chose to not make anyone uncomfortable. There were numerous peer users coming to OpenNap for help last night (users are on all kinds of servers, they use more than one client).

If anyone got caught with their pants down, it would be you, and what a sorry attitude you have regarding those users on ALL versions of WinMX if they are not part of YOUR group. Quite frankly I don't give a shit what group, what server, or what version of WinMX people are using, my intention was to help anyone in need. I certainly did not show any prejudice in my post whatsoever, can you say the same for your post?

I don't care if you feel I am not stating anything of public worth in YOUR opinion, your opinion at the moment is not worth continuing an argument over since you are so prone to negativity with respect to ALL users of ALL versions of a client.
sunnyd

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:42 pm

Theres seems to be a lot of anger on this forum tonight, anger makes ppl say silly things and thus its perhaps more responsible of me to overlook what SunnyD has written above.

It seems to me fear and ignorance have taken a hold here and many dubious comments have been made that cast serious questions over the validity of this new torrent client, neither of the two posters above seem unhappy with casting such shadowy unfounded doubts and so perhaps they have done as they wished in trashing its name before they have even looked at it.
Like others before me I shall leave this thread to its ignorance and malice, when grown men are too afraid to take responsibility for their own harsh words the world is a sorry place for all.

My apologies to the rest of the forum, its been informative coming here but anger is not something that should form part of the mindset of those using this forum and I think its best I head off with sanity virtually intact, cheers for the ride.
Dazzle_2

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:48 pm

you're a piece of work, dazzle.

neither of the two posters above seem unhappy with casting such shadowy unfounded doubts and so perhaps they have done as they wished in trashing its name before they have even looked at it.

i have to assume i am one of the posters you refer to. if so, please show me where i made any comment whatsoever about the torrent client. if not, i have no idea who the second poster you refer to is.

you are quick to cite hostility. the irony is that you are blind to your own. i wish you the best of luck.

and i'll leave you with a parting thought - in your own words:

Dazzle_2 wrote:he has come across as a bit pompous on the forum here
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:37 pm

It takes a lot to make me frustrated or show any anger at all, but the main focus of this whole thread (and my post with instructions) was to help users NOT be directed to an unknown website for security reasons. The torrent client was not a priority at all, although we had several checking it out when they had time. It was a potential risk to have any user on a client be directed to an unknown site, regardless of what happened to the site. What started out as help, ended up being criticized in a way that was not necessary, and then all of a sudden Dazzle, you drew a line for groups of users, where and on what version of WinMX, what servers where, etc. It was at that point that you also drew a line with my patience.

I don't work like that, I help everyone, by no means am I prejudice of who is using what clients, and where, and in what groups or on what servers. WinMX 2.6 is NOT my favorite client by any means, but that does not mean I would refuse to help users in need, simply by choice of their client, and as I mentioned, there are several users, using different versions of WinMX on all kinds of servers everywhere. You got stuck on just "WinMX peer users", and you demonstrated a lack of looking past that. You refer to WinMX peer as "the community", and you mentioned "you took care of your business there", it was my intent to indicate that there is a much larger community than just that.

I said nothing more than you deserved for your remarks and your criticism of others.
sunnyd

Postby enigmax » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:19 am

I haven't got the time to read all of this passionate thread, but I already spoke with Tixati about this and they told me that "the WinMX guy" (make of that what you will) is kindly helping them "get on their feet" with what presumably looks like advertising for their new torrent client.
enigmax

Postby sunnyd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 am

Yes, we know that Kevin changed/updated the domain, and advertised. It is very unfortunate that as a result, there were numerous issues.
sunnyd

Return to WinMX