Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX Network Attackers Information

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

WinMX Network Attackers Information

Postby Dazzle_2 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Today I was taken by surprise for an hour by media defender hiding behind another company's IP, A bit of googling showed this companys range had been used before for anti p2p activity but we on WinMX havent seen this particular IP range before.

Whittaker :129.47.160.220-129.47.160.255

Normally when a primary (superNode) user signals for a roomlisting the anti p2p attackers try to "mass join" to either upload fake files or more usually to DOS folks off the network, this is a key signature of media defender and this new range seems to have taken over from the 174. range that took over from the 72. range, as you all may know they use the same IP ranges to hit many networks so be alert for these jokers upon your network of choice.
Dazzle_2

Re: WinMX Network Attackers Information

Postby DAZCO » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:45 am

I always thought winmx used the winmx blocklist.txt from the winmxworrld web site to block bad ips but it seem the ip range you mention is not on that list maybe theres a hidden blocklist thats used now ?
DAZCO

Postby Dazzle_2 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:17 am

Hi Dazco there is a blocklist location that the caches use to get the Blocklist that is not public and thats the one it was added to as it was in the middle of the night. The reason for having a seperate blocklist address is because previously the media mafia sponsored attackers have tried to hit the list location and make it unusable so we keep a public list location and a real list location both should be matching and I apologise for not getting around to update the info on the public list, work commitments etc are to blame.

If you are concerned at any time as to the contents of the blocklist coming from the caches you need only look up one of the cache IPs and do a telnet to it in a commrnd window like so: Start menu -->Run-->type cmd and press enter and then copy and paste the following into the cmd window: telnet 115.124.110.121 7930

This will allow you to have a complete up to the minute blocklist.
Once again I apologise for the omission and hope you are enjoying the WinMX network :D
Dazzle_2

Postby DAZCO » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 am

Thankyou for your quick reply my mind is now at ease :-) and yes still enjoying winmx after many years of using it still find it the best p2p around especialy with the chat feature.The guys running the chaches and keeping them safe and working are doing a great job and i guess are seldom told thankyou for their efforts i would like to say thankyou oh and by the way had to enable telnet client on vista for it to work ;-)
DAZCO

Postby Dazzle_2 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Vista eh, I,ll pass your thanks on to the rest of the support crew Dazco, we didnt get into doing the job for the credit but I know it gives myself and them a boost when a WinMx user thanks them for keeping the network we all love alive , cheers :D

PS : The public blocklist is fixed and updated.
Dazzle_2

Return to WinMX