Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

OFFICIAL Frontcode/WinMX spoof homepage project

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby DaBlade » Sun May 09, 2004 5:11 am

I'm not talking about certain individuals here, but you need INTELLIGENCE to download off a network not working like Gnutella or FastTrack."Hey, I turn DirectConnect on, but for some reason it won't give me free music CDs..." You should know what you're talking about before saying anything completely unintelligent and assholish. WinMX is not obsolete, because if it was then noone whould use it. The only problem with WinMX as far as I can see are the queues that can really be bypassed with a big enough dose of intelligence. Now lets look at it this way, you and a couple hundred other geezers think winmx is bullshit, while there are over two million people that say directly the opposite.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

banned for having a sense of humour

Postby freak-on-a-stick » Mon May 17, 2004 2:51 pm

I posted this as a joke in the winmx section as "winmx 4 out!!!!"(I didn’t realize this thread was here) http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=36027#36027 (not there of course) I had also posted this to zeropaid forums (where the thread was locked) vladd44 forums, and cricketmx forums (neither forum deleted, locked or banned me for posting it)

I have this to say to slyck;

I'm not going to piss and moan over being banned from your forum. I will say this though, it was a joke, a parody and people need to lighten up. It has been almost 19 months since the last release of WinMX and some people are going to make parodies, some people are fed up and a parody is a natural reaction to frustration. We see them every day in the editorial section of the newspaper.

If dissention from the voices of the masses causes someone to be banned then I have no desire to be a part of that "community". It can't be a "community" if dissenting members of it get banned for having a sense of humour.

I could see deleting the thread or locking the thread (as zeropaid did) but this way over the line for even me. I have no interest in being a part of your "community" if this is the reaction I get from it.

-beeza

ps: dont forget to delete this one and add freak to the banned list ;)
freak-on-a-stick

Postby Raztro » Tue May 18, 2004 5:44 am

you were banned? wtf, that's harsh...
Raztro

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue May 18, 2004 8:19 am

@freak-on-a-stick

I think there must be some mistake, I doubt very much that you were banned for posting such a thing!

I don't know why the thread has been deleted, but I shall try to find out ...
Last edited by HouseCrowd on Tue May 18, 2004 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby DaBlade » Tue May 18, 2004 8:29 am

It was deleted cuz he tricked very many people with his little stunt, even me! I'm probably one of Slyck's biggest WinMX supporters, and that came shocking to me. Slyck is prolly the P2P forum that covers most networks, that has most WinMX supporters. WinMX 4 hs been long awaited, and with a stunt like that you can easily piss many people off.

DaBlade

Postby DaBlade » Tue May 18, 2004 8:33 am

And go to vladd44's forums, and see what Beeza, a.k.a. Freak-on-a-stick wrote about slyck....

DaBlade

Postby SlyckTom » Tue May 18, 2004 8:34 am

Beeza....

I temporarily banned you, more as a joke, for your retarded stunt. We have an alternative forum, Fooltank.com, where you can post your jokes. We used to get a lot of people spamming that WinMX 4.0 development had stopped, which prompted this sticky post:

Anyone who writes anything to the effect that WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled will be banned from the site, and their post eliminated....

I've grown tired of being nice to people who do stupid things.
Last edited by SlyckTom on Tue May 18, 2004 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
SlyckTom

Postby DaBlade » Tue May 18, 2004 8:35 am

And on CricketMX....

DaBlade

Re: banned for having a sense of humour

Postby SlyckRay » Tue May 18, 2004 11:06 am

freak-on-a-stick wrote:If dissention from the voices of the masses causes someone to be banned then I have no desire to be a part of that "community". It can't be a "community" if dissenting members of it get banned for having a sense of humour.

I could see deleting the thread or locking the thread (as zeropaid did) but this way over the line for even me. I have no interest in being a part of your "community" if this is the reaction I get from it.

-beeza

ps: dont forget to delete this one and add freak to the banned list ;)

Since you are trying to make a controversy, tell me how posting an obviously false article (even for parody) is dissention!!! HA that has nothing to do with dessention. but it sounded good.
SlyckRay

Postby tm, » Tue May 18, 2004 12:08 pm

It was not really a "false article" - only the title was misleading. Kind of like the jars of "peanuts" that when opened, out springs a toy snake in your face.

It seems Slyck does try to create an atmosphere of seriousness and accuracy. The front page slyck articles do have well-worded and descriptive titles, something that p2pnet.net, for instance, does not. Just a personal gripe, that it's not always easy to figure out what a p2pnet article is even about just going by the trite, cliched title that many stories have.

The winmx hoax post might have been ok on April 1, but you guys are probably tired of all the gag posts that most users might never encounter.
tm,

Postby ÇrèéÞing~Jesus4²° » Tue May 18, 2004 1:28 pm

Being a old mx user i will say its one of my favorites to use.But not for the reasons you may think ive made alot of friends on mx.as far as getting movies and large files off mx sure you can get them but be perpaired to wait for them. MX for mp3s and hard to find files old files its my choice. To say its still the best P2P program is not right.Some people still say open nap is the best to them it may be but not for me. win mx for hard to find files,mp3's and to talk to friends,and B/T for large files and movies is how i go. There are alot of fine programs out to use its up to each what or how they use them.The use of 3rd party programs on mx ,the anti leach, rcms, and a few others imo have hurt mx alot is it going to make me stop useing mx NO.as far as winMX 4 goes lol sure it may come out but i dont look for it any more. The page freak posted was made by some one other than them
and was posted at the first of this thread same addy so if you could not see that shame on you.IT really says it all of how tired of being left out in the cold mx users are.I do find it odd that when users start talking about mx being dead slyck has a interview with F.C. but its like saying you talked to GOD how do we really know, i have note pad too i used it to write this.If we cant laff at this then we need to go out side its just the net. But banning for a joke not ment to hurt any one is a little too much.Next time you talk to F.C. tell them if they want to impress us update there page to some thing new just to give us hope the interviews with them are nice and all but if they dont think its worth updateing their page how much of the interview should we even count on? we know the hi slyck in the html on F.C. page is there so they still know they have a page and can edit it too. But thats just my thinking. Ill use mx even if there is no 4 .
ÇrèéÞing~Jesus4²°

Postby DaBlade » Tue May 18, 2004 1:32 pm

I'll continue using WinMX for a long while even if v.4 never comes out too.

DaBlade

Postby sybesma » Wed May 19, 2004 10:11 pm

HaloFan!@WinMXFan! wrote:I'll continue using WinMX for a long while even if v.4 never comes out too.

Until everyone bails on it once it becomes official that there will never be a WinMX 4.0 created by Frontcode.

Anyone that can't keep their word really has no intention on ever pushing the program forward anymore.

Kevin Hearn has given up no matter what anyone says.

GPL it Kevin! Public domain the source code!
sybesma

Postby DaBlade » Thu May 20, 2004 4:27 am

I thought u were the guy who was gonna gather a bunch of hackers and decompile it....

DaBlade

Postby Solomon » Thu May 20, 2004 5:59 am

sybesma wrote:Until everyone bails on it once it becomes official that there will never be a WinMX 4.0 created by Frontcode.

You seriously think that folk will stop using WinMX just because there is no new version?
Solomon

Postby DaBlade » Thu May 20, 2004 6:24 am

not for a while...but when/if winmx becomes really old and bad compared to the new and faster(and prolly more secure) networks. Hopefully that won't happen. Also, a friend of mine on IRC(i use it for chatting ONLY) said that some program named softice numega can decompile winmx. I really don't have a clue about it, but sybesma, if you're interested, it might be worth a try.

DaBlade

Postby sybesma » Thu May 20, 2004 11:32 am

The_Kid wrote:
sybesma wrote:Until everyone bails on it once it becomes official that there will never be a WinMX 4.0 created by Frontcode.

You seriously think that folk will stop using WinMX just because there is no new version?

Sure. If it's not kept alive as a going product, interest will go elsewhere to the more advanced P2P progs out there. WinMX is static. The other P2Ps are moving ahead with encryption/proxies and a lot of other improvements.

Eventually, WinMX will die a very slow death because fewer and fewer people will use it.
sybesma

Postby DaBlade » Thu May 20, 2004 12:01 pm

We'll wait and see. If by october Frontcode dosn't make a peep, we'll know that they've given up on MX. Time to do some decompiling...

DaBlade

Postby Rummy » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:07 am

it seems they have made a peep, the new version come out yesterday, but it doesnt have much great yet from what ive read. im not downloading it yet, because it seems to only have fixed up the chat so far and i dont use that anyway. plus, call me paranoid, but they could be watching us now. no update for 1-1.5 years, and now one, when the industry are cutting down on illegal sharing?
(to clarify, id have nothing to worry about, because i obviously dont participate in said illegal file sharing :wink:)
Rummy

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:11 am

I,m more of a technical person myself , and laughed at the post suggesting teams of hackers would be required to decompile the Mx code.
It seems theres a lot of opinions here and no facts to back up any of it , doesnt make for a good forum debate.
The new Mx is out as you say , and if we look at the site we can see that there will be another 2 releases when they finish the beta testing, patience is a good trait. I must say I was more than disappointed with the actions of the forum in banning a harmless peice of fun, do we burn our books next ?
Dazzle

Postby Boondock Saint » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:03 am

I have been using WinMX for at least 3-4 years. Whenever I download, I have WinMX and Kazaa Lite open and search using both at the same time. I have definitely noticed a great drop in "hard to get" music for quite a while so I switched to "Kazaa Lite". Kazaa seemed to have a wonderful selection of just about everything until I started noticing "bunk downloads".

I have a prediction. within a couple of years (or less)I think Kazaa will be absolutely worthless when it comes to downloading music. I'd say at least 50% or more of the music I download is BUNK! Meaning songs that are silent, songs that were deliberately chopped up, and so on and so on. This I must say was a brilliant strategy by the "anti-downloaders", musical artists, etc...

Now the only way I have been successful is by going back to using WinMX.
Boondock Saint

Postby mx'er » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:57 pm

Thats a good point boondock, I had noticed that also.
It's one of the 'attackable' failings of those p2p progs where u are forced to reshare [at least] your current downloads.
The concept of forced reshare may have been well intentioned, but it did allow for greater 'flood' attacking of the network with bs songs.

Here's to winmx, I'm with you guys. I don't care if v4 never happens - it still works and works well, and while millions of others hold the same view, it will always be here.

And yes, I have tried others, even before trying winmx, the donkeys, the mules, the kazaa's, the limes etc. and they've all p...ed me off for one reason or another.
Even those that have a Mac port that I have set up and tried on a g4 tower.
mx'er

Postby DaBlade » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:26 pm

mx'er wrote:
Here's to winmx, I'm with you guys. I don't care if v4 never happens - it still works and works well, and while millions of others hold the same view, it will always be here.

And yes, I have tried others, even before trying winmx, the donkeys, the mules, the kazaa's, the limes etc. and they've all p...ed me off for one reason or another.
Even those that have a Mac port that I have set up and tried on a g4 tower.

I agree! MX is the way to go.
BTW, did u notice the previous post date? :P :lol:

DaBlade

Postby mx'er » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:35 am

Ya, I know I'm lagging here, but u get that occasionally :)
mx'er

Postby Artie » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:07 am

Kind of ironic the way WinMX updated their site and program since Sybesma put up his spoof page, which hasn't been updated itself.

I wonder where that dude went off to anyway. He was as obsessed with WinMX as certain other individuals here whom I won't bother to mention.
Artie

PreviousNext

Return to WinMX