Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

New WinMX Patch Released

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

New WinMX Patch Released

Postby tiny4eva » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 pm

The time many have been waiting for. Tonight the new winmx patch has been released for all of your pleasure, so far its been a exciting night, the rooms are bopping and the partys are beginning. rock on Winmx Storys as always available at http://www.winmxworld.com. And the new installers and patch at patch.winmxconex.com. After the next few days and everyone migrates to this new patch Winmx will be proud to boast the only P2P network that CANT be flooded by fake files by media companys. Something no other P2P network can share. Happy winmxing, A good day. A very good day.
Winmx, We wont sell out like them Scurvy infected Pirate Bay Boys

http://patch.winmxconex.com
tiny4eva

Re: New WinMX Patch Released

Postby chainmail » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:50 pm

The last time I was involved with WinMX, there were three methods of connecting to the network, supported by three separate groups that were, to say the least, not speaking to each other. To add to the confusion, two of those separate groups used the name "MXpie".

I remember the bitter feud between Vladd44 and King Macro (and their respective stables), who each supported different and non-compatible "patches". Eventually both of them dropped out of the WinMX community (in a similar fashion: suddenly and completely) and other community members took over.

I discovered that this topic used to be about as heated as the Arab/israeli conflict, so I hope there is peace by now. Can someone fill me in - in an unbiased, non-partisan way, please - on what is going on in WinMX politics these days relating to the choice of available network connection methods?
chainmail

Postby curzlgt » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:22 pm

:popcorn:

i suspect dazzel2 will be round before too long, she seems to be the winmx guru round these here parts.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby HalOfBorg » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:31 pm

*HalOfBorg, Junior WinMX guru. VERY junior.*

I was hoping that the new patch would have fixed the UDP flood problem that my Linksys router has with WinMX, but no such luck. Oh well, it's only a minor annoyance having to switch from Secondary to Primary.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby Overnet User » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Glad to see that the users are still smarter than the people trying to censor them and that the network is still thriving.
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby Dazzle_2 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 am

curzlgt wrote::popcorn:

i suspect dazzel2 will be round before too long, she seems to be the winmx guru round these here parts.

I wasnt planning to post Curzlgt as it would have been just a rehash of the news that seems here already, but I,m sure theres room for a mini progress report.

The Community Patch effort is going very smoothly and take up is proceeding well, there have been no issues to speak of at this time affecting any users and the new features have been warmly welcomed by all.
Downloads are going well at the sites earmarked for the delivery with a peak occuring yesterday being the morning in Japan when things got near to saturation, this is a good sign and the extra caches deployed to take up the increased load as old pie patch users upgrade have been operating without any hitches, of course its important to note that pie are also operating a number of these caches and thus continue to have a stake in the overrall community effort.

Slycks and other news sites are to be thanked for allowing folks to pass on the word to ex and current users that peace is declared and we can all enjoy the network together once more.

Common sense has prevailed :)
Dazzle_2

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 am

So the major controlling factions of WinMX put aside their differences for the greater good of the community.Image If only the idiots in Washington DC could do the same thing. :roll:
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby ..Ñøßߥ.. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:16 am

This is correct the two major factions have united to support the all new and superior Winmx Community Patch (thanks Eagle!). I would urge all WinMX users to upgrade asap for their own benefit and that of the network, there is still 1 smaller group pushing an inferior patch out there and we must as a communty do all we can to appeal to those users and show them the way forward.

WinMX can now begin to really move forward, i would appeal to WinMX fans on Slycks, to spread the good word!

:toast:
..Ñøßߥ..

Postby chainmail » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks for everyone's response. I also did some digging on my own ........

It turns out that this "smaller group" has been doing more than just "pushing an inferior patch". They are howling dire warnings about the dangers of using this WinMX Community Patch.

Sadly, some things never change. :(

Whereas before there were 2 factions in favor of a Host file solution, and 1 in favor of a DLL solution, now it is 2:1 the other way around. I see strengths and weaknesses in both. Since many followers of the *old* DLL patch got shafted when KM suddenly pulled the plug on his system, and their only solution to reconnect to Winmx was through a Hosts file patch, I can understand why some people are not eager to find themselves burned a second time.

I say that someone should find Kevin Hearn (is he even still alive?) and get his opinion. That should settle the war between these competing factions. :)
chainmail

Postby Dazzle_2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Its my firm belief that those small groups holding out are not doing so for technical or even ethical reasons but political ones, I,m sure you can appreciate we have a few small groups who would stay loyal to using a soap dish to connect once they had made up their minds :lol:

In all seriousness its my hope we can continue to help, educate and discuss with people directly their reasons for holding on to their old connection methods and I,m hopeful that with sensible and reasoned discussion we can resolve some of their outstanding concerns as has occurred with winmxworld and mxpie.com.
There can be no more wars or fighting that's something we cannot afford, its really as simple as saying if they don't wish to do whats best for the entire network they will be denying themselves access to the associated research and technology on offer that is openly shared with those making a commitment to doing whats best for the community.

The overall plan is to ensure a status quo is reached where we can either all move forward together on an equal footing or not, the future is in the hands of those who need to regain trust, the olive branch is doing its tour of duty and we can only hope that the actions of those who have joined for the community good is taken as a sign for what it is, the common sense realisation that most users are not interested in any extreme views on hot topics, they just want the most reliable and attack resistant connection method to enjoy the network with. I,m happy that WinMX users are able to see the benefits for themselves of the community patch and its promise for the future in terms of potential feature additions to those it already offers as well as reassuring those same users that those sites offering it are in possession of the shared technological resources to support the network come what may, whilst some groups stay away from the table it can only harm their credibility in this sphere.
Dazzle_2

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Dazzle_2 wrote:Its my firm belief that those small groups holding out are not doing so for technical or even ethical reasons but political ones, I,m sure you can appreciate we have a few small groups who would stay loyal to using a soap dish to connect once they had made up their minds :lol:

Indeed, and one might be inclined to believe that such groups exist in the form of 3 WinMX camps.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Dazzle_2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:24 pm

You forgot the sub camps and splinter, splinter groups :lol:

Getting back to reality, we can only hope good will is in abundance and any remaining political issues are resolved so all users benefit, that was the aim of the community patch effort and its been a year in the making, the average WinMX user will always benefit from openeness and honesty on the part of those asking for their trust, its my belief we have delivered on that and will continue to do so.

Unlike in "highlander", there can never be only one.
Dazzle_2

Postby multivariable » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:26 pm

..Ñøßߥ.. wrote:...there is still 1 smaller group pushing an inferior patch out there and we must as a communty do all we can to appeal to those users and show them the way forward.

chainmail wrote:It turns out that this "smaller group" has been doing more than just "pushing an inferior patch". They are howling dire warnings about the dangers of using this WinMX Community Patch.

Dazzle_2 wrote:Its my firm belief that those small groups holding out are not doing so for technical or even ethical reasons but political ones...

As a once-keen WinMX user, but now-ambivalent outsider, it seems to me as though the WinMX community is still hopelessly fragmented.

As anyone who knows me knows, I don't want to hear about anyone's "firm belief" of why something is so (Hi, TorrentMama :howdy: ), I want you to tell me why your method is good and their method is bad, using logic and reason. I've seen none of that here, and I'm not inclined to go elsewhere hunting for it.

To be honest, I longer see the point of WinMX. I'm not interested in the chat rooms, and I'm pretty sure I can find anything that's available on WinMX by using other networks, torrents or UseNet.

Dazzle_2 wrote:Unlike in "highlander", there can never be only one.

Until there is only one, I won't be using WinMX.
multivariable

Postby Dazzle_2 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:04 am

To be honest, I longer see the point of WinMX. I'm not interested in the chat rooms, and I'm pretty sure I can find anything that's available on WinMX by using other networks, torrents or UseNet.

Usenet perhaps but never torrents, those are often a source of time wasting and frustration outside of the initial release dates, I,m sure you are aware of that, that is where places like WinMX come in, those files remain part of the community and hardly ever disappear and are simple to obtain, I cant say the same with looking for parts of missing newsgroup files. WinMX is not a leech based system as your seeming to favour, this is free and open sharing, however, you have made your choice, but please dont try to dress up your reasons to impune our efforts.

At the wish of not wanting to abuse Slycks in any way by posting lots of links here to explain many matters, could I ask you what it is you dont understand about the difference between a text entry in a host file versus a fully fledged program that delivers 4 alternative dns locations pointing to at least 10 peer caches, blocks connections from flooding companies, reads the incoming search packets for fakes and will open the ports on your router for you ?

I had though that by now it was clear there is a serious technical divide between the two systems and those behind them, as outlined above this too was to be part of the community solution deal, the transfer of technology to those who may feel there is no benefit to joining the community option, a carrot no less, but honestly delivered.

I take umbrage to your choice of the word fragmented, this implies there are many factions and groups when this is not the case, there are now only two distinct groups, winmxworld in conjunction with the original mxpie group and some breakaway group lead by Sabre that felt it lacked legitimacy and took the mxpie name for itself also, the way we in the community differentiate is to call one group mxpie.com and the other mxpie.info as those are the domains they operate from.

The community patch has been embraced by both mxpie.com and wimxworld and make no mistake this is simply because the decision was taken to share not only the final product and information but the src codes to the patch and peer caches based on a united goal of bringing network equality and stability, there is no direct way to bring the mxpie.info group to the well but the rest of the community have done their best to ensure the water will remain sweet for them if they upgrade, this would create 3 distinct group identities all working together at last using a common solution rather than working in anti-phase.

Its not within anyones power to snap their fingers and obtain progress, we can only work at building bridges based on trust and dialogue this is the chosen path, this has so far worked in bringing the two major sides together and in time its hoped will bring the last remaining group on board.
Dazzle_2

Postby SpeciaL_K » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:28 pm

winmx... didn't realize they still existed.
can someone fill me in on why ANY of these programs are better than mediafire and similar sites?
SpeciaL_K

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:33 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting a reply Special K, I have investigated Mediafire and it does look an interesting and useful idea, however... :)

It does not have the community chat infrastructure that WinMX has and also being based at central location is prone to a shut down if the political winds favour it, and make no mistake they often do when it comes to fund raising time with certain politicians.

WinMX is not server based but instead a decentralised network without the 100mb file limit and plenty of new friends to discuss mundane or advanced hypothetical scenarios with, chat is what you make it and many often learn much by watching a few techies "spar", such entertainment is free and priceless while your waiting for a transfer to complete, when faced with this "community" aspect Mediafire is a non starter for most of us.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though I,m sure its a useful service that many can use and in this day and age multiple sources of content is the norm rather than the exception.
Dazzle_2

Return to WinMX