Slyck Chatbox - And More

New rtfing pattern! rattles winmx!

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

New rtfing pattern! rattles winmx!

Postby Snip » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by Snip on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snip

Postby -KM- » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:18 am

there have always been ways past the ignition rtf block and poison rename block
-KM-

Postby DaBlade » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:17 pm

What now?
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby -KM- » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:48 am

most bugs in WinMX chat all stem back to the same cause, frontcode really need a new version (or if not a new version, at least a 3.3.2 with a bug fix)
-KM-

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:08 am

If you listen to snip your a bigger fool than he is. Go away
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Bizzare » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:24 am

The older ignition patches have been.. marginalized, yes.. the latest patches I know of are available at http://trueprogramming.tk/. I have tested the version 3 patch, and it works against all the rtf attacks that I've seen, including the ones that bypass the older ignition.. the version 5 patch I doubt I'm going to test, as I've upgraded to the WinMX Beta.. But lord only knows how it can be attacked..

And if you already knew all that or its posted somewhere else (that's almost a sin here, i know), soz lol, just tryin' ta help :D In my experience on WinMX the average user, if they have rtf protection at all, doesnt have even the basic ignition patch.. not that the average slyck user could ever be considered "average" anywhere else 8)

Beyond rtf's I've heard from another host that a non-rft code took out his non-rcms room.. I asked the *cough* always charming people in the vladd44 room about it, and was met with the usual blank stare of disbelief, which is the same thing I got when I told them about the last set of attacks that came out, which was patched a week later hehehe.. the only thing I can hope for is that either

1. The attack won't work on the beta (if the thing even works.. for obvious reasons I haven't tried to test it lol)

or

2. It will become so rampant that they patch it..

I agree with KM.. Frontcode has really disappointed me with their (apparent) lack of caring about the whole issue, although I'm guessing that the Beta is a step in that direction considering the ignition patch doesnt seem to be compatable with it.. In any case tho there will always be someone looking for a new way to crash a room :roll:
Last edited by Bizzare on Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Armed Against Nine Killers
Bizzare

Postby -KM- » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:19 am

well... its no suprise that if there's some new attack then the patches wont protect from it... they only do what they where programmed to do, and they can only be programmed to protect from known attacks... and unfortunately it will stay that way until they improve artificial inteligence :-)

also... yay@someone who agrees with me about something
-KM-

ca2

Postby Snip » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:01 am

deleted
Last edited by Snip on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snip

Postby Vladd44 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:57 pm

Bizzare wrote:.. I asked the *cough* always charming people in the vladd44 room about it, and was met with the usual blank stare of disbelief, which is the same thing I got when I told them about the last set of attacks that came out, which was patched a week later hehehe.. the only thing I can hope for is that either

sorry dude, we were too busy laughing at you, next time wear clean underwear.
Vladd44

Postby Bizzare » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:55 am

Ha! Clean underwear! What a witty and revealing observation meant to imply ineptitude and possible fecal expulsion on my part! I guess you could say it even "clears the air"! But seriously, you're right tho.. how stupid to go to the chat room of the site that makes the patches and ask about it.. No worries, won't bother again

:P
Bizzare

Postby Vladd44 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:13 am

Bizzare wrote:What a witty and revealing observation meant to imply ineptitude and possible fecal expulsion on my part! I guess you could say it even "clears the air"!

Maybe you should lighten up. I thought your description of the "charming people in vladd44 room" was pretty funny.

Guess you dont care for my charming comments..... oh well, guess I should be sad now! Damn.
Vladd44

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:07 am

Hmm hold up you kids adult coming through here.
your a terrible teaser Vladd tell the poor guy what he needs to know.
Bizzare I beleive your unaware of the structure of vladds site or room , his site acts a a clearing house for patches and programs and all manner of useful goodies ,
he is not the producer of them ,so its no use blaming him if he cannot answer your question. As regards the room ,I,m sure you appreciate that chat rooms are very dynamic and depending on when you visit, a different response may be obtained.

P.S. I would like you to know that KM and Snip are the 2 most prolific crashers of rooms and distributers of crashing programs so please take that into account when heaping praise or seeking advice. The program you refer to that does this is called the chat crasher 2 and KM wrote it with a little help from an old nushi program he has in his possesion.
Dazzle

Postby Vladd44 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:53 am

Dazzle wrote:Hmm hold up you kids adult coming through here.

lol, kids..been a couple decades since i qualified.
Vladd44

Postby Bizzare » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:46 pm

That's all good, again, i never said anything about vladd, or his site, just that the people (and you're right, dazzle, not everyone) in his chatroom told me to my face that there was no new attack out, they were absolutely 100% sure of it, and then tried to rtf me b/c they assumed i wasnt patched (which is pretty messed up, any way you look at it, and why I refer to them as "charming", regardless of how it is at "other times"), but seeing as I was patched it didnt really matter.. it bothers me what snip and others do and how much havok they cause on mx, i've read the posts covering their escapades and the slyck's forums reactions to them; anyone who hosted a chatroom b4 the new mx came out got hit w/at least 1 rtf attack, there will always be adults and children that live to make others lives hell, and im glad that people don't put up with it..

It was a mistake on my part to assume that the chatroom and the website were connected; obviously, they aren't, at least not in the direct manner that i assumed, and most of the other users that are unfamiliar with the room would assume from the topic.. it would be nice, in any case to have a place where people could report the new attacks, assuming that the new mx will have some, and i dont see y it wouldnt, in a safe manner for the good of everyone involved..

Clean underwear or no :wink:
Bizzare

Postby raar » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:05 am

this is why chats suck.
but they always sucked anyway. lol.
just joking. I never got into them. Just too confusing to me. The discussions, that is.
Seems to be just a playroom. Not much real discussion can really take place. For me anyway.
Too much happening at once.
My opinion, not yours.
raar

Postby Bizzare » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:49 am

i wont even begin quoting lol

this thread was last posted on months ago, when most people still used 3.31

as there haven't been new attacks (other than the standard rtf and of course whatever weaknesses MCMA and it's clones might have) i don't really think any of it applies, unless someone has info on how to prevent new attacks if and when they hit.
Bizzare

Postby raar » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:53 am

True, but with a supposed new beta coming out, the main concerns always seem to be with the chat.
Hey, I'm just there for the music.
raar

Postby DaBlade » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:12 am

The chat is an important part of WinMX's identity.
WinMX is the last of the major P2P networsk to have their own, fully functional, non-IRC based chat.
As WinMX's slowly turned into a part-sharing and part-trading network ( :( ), the chat has become increasingly important, as rooms like MLP popped up, and share verifieds with their members. They are also obligated to if no members DL anything from u, you must let anyone go. Members skip queues though.
The chat is a VERY important part of WinMX.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby raar » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:24 am

DaBlade wrote:The chat is an important part of WinMX's identity.
WinMX is the last of the major P2P networsk to have their own, fully functional, non-IRC based chat.
As WinMX's slowly turned into a part-sharing and part-trading network ( :( ), the chat has become increasingly important, as rooms like MLP popped up, and share verifieds with their members. They are also obligated to if no members DL anything from u, you must let anyone go. Members skip queues though.
The chat is a VERY important part of WinMX.

True. Just not for me. Don't get me wrong. I am an exclusive winmx user and have been since Napster.
Guess it really does make winmx stand out, which is a good thing.
raar

winmx

Postby silversurfer » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:37 am

i found on the new mcms colour room gd need improving tho
ie back door dos actack and spamming with over 50 lines will kill the room
as in the beta 4 there room for improvement aswell looks tho all thay done is made the shared file list nice
if thay made it on the same lines as robo mx then it would look and feel great
silversurfer

Re: New rtfing pattern! rattles winmx!

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:46 pm

Is there any chance this topic can be unstickied please, its been here 4 years and the problem referenced within the topic has been long gone frrom the network, any client after 3.52 will not suffer from any RTF issues.
Dazzle_2

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 pm

I was thinking this was some extreme thread resurrection but i guess i'll let you off since your asking it to be closed.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:42 pm

good idea, dazzle. ya, i saw this in the list of new posts and thought rtf? WTF? again?!?
MrFredPFL

Return to WinMX