Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX down

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

WinMX down

Postby Recon 369 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:45 pm

My connection went down around 10PM mountain time on 15 July. When it went down in 05 info from here got me up & running again. At that time I used the hosts file solution from p2pzone. I would appreciate any solutions or info.
Thx Recon
Recon 369

Postby Artie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 pm

Hard to say. It could be down for different reasons. Maybe the servers that the Hosts file tries to connect to are offline or outdated. Or maybe your ISP is blocking the default ports that WinMX uses. Last but not least, it could be a company firewall.

For me, I notice that using a primary connection works a lot better than a secondary connection, so maybe you can try that and see if it updates your Hosts file. If not, then see if the MXPie Patch works. If it still doesn't, then perhaps reinstall WinMX.
Artie

Postby Recon 369 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Thx. I found solution, Spy sweeper was blocking my hosts file as a highjacked ip address I hit delete selected items then loaded a new patch from WinMX World. If anyone else has this problem.

Artie Thx for having me look at hosts file WinMX world thx for pointing me to security software.
Recon 369

Postby Dazzle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:24 am

I know many of the regulars here get bored of me reminding everyone but please if your going to operate as Primary connection whilst using a host file solution like mxpie you must use blocking of flooders or your leaving your machine open to mediasentry/mediadefender who will use you to launch attacks on the network and other users.

Normally I would merely just suggest the use of the winmxworld/winmxgroup patch only as does not have this problem but there is good news on the horizon in the shape of mxpie.com opening up discussions to improve their blocking solution and so whilst they offer only blocking but not the fake file filtering it is a significant step forward for them to agree its necessary to block the network attackers, so for now I am happy for folks to use either proffered solution.

Be warned though, one group mxpie.info a breakaway group from mxpie are intent on not blocking and are offering a network damaging solution.
So far they have preffered politics to doing whats best for the network, please give their host file only solution a miss if you care for the network, it is after all an old and inflexible solution that requires constant updating and has one single main peer cache unlike the 10 operated by the rest of the community, a sure recipe for disaster in my book.
Dazzle

Return to WinMX