Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Closure Of MxControl Project

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Closure Of MxControl Project

Postby Dazzle » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:17 am

It is with a sense of loss that I have come here to announce the closure of the open source Mxcontrol project.

http://www.winmxworld.com/forum2/index. ... 741.0.html

The project housed many great examples of C++ coding for winmx and an important community of XML scripters who took the time to make hundreds of scripts for one of the projects offerings (Metis).

While the projects creator is of course free to take such action I have much sympathy for those who have spent over two or three years in many cases building the community there that was demolished in a short time.

Being an open source project MxControl code is open to all to tinker with still, and I hope those displaced will pull together to fill this sudden void that is a major blow to many users dreams of an open src winmx code base.

Things will go on as usual, but a major driving force behind a lot of creativity on winmx has been lost. :(
Dazzle

Postby Dazzle » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:59 pm

Stop the press !!

In a likewise dramatic turn around today the admin of the closed site has relented over the closure and set the site back up.

His message regarding why he closed it and what needs to be done to keep it open also contained the statement that he liked "big explosions", a reference to the dramatic way the site was closed.

All,s well that ends well it seems, merry xmas to you all by the way before I forget :lol:
Dazzle

Postby notbob » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:50 pm

i'm sure the 4 people who know what you're talking about were disappointed and then overjoyed by your 2 posts

winmx is decomposing. stop molesting the carcass
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby HalOfBorg » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:55 pm

notbob wrote:winmx is decomposing. stop molesting the carcass

Unless you have actually USED WinMX lately. Still has a LOAD of files available, and the chat system is as vibrant as ever.

It's more of a community than BT is, that's all.
HalOfBorg

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Ehhh, pay no attention to that bad comment. An open source winmx would be someting pretty cool actually.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby notbob » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:53 pm

Mel_Smiley_VIP wrote:Ehhh, pay no attention to that bad comment. An open source winmx would be someting pretty cool actually.

you need to fix your zp sig. annie lennox didn't write that song, neil young did. i hate to see annie lennox get credit for anything, especially when someone as good as neil deserves it

don't let it bring you down
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:18 pm

notbob wrote:
Mel_Smiley_VIP wrote:Ehhh, pay no attention to that bad comment. An open source winmx would be someting pretty cool actually.

you need to fix your zp sig. annie lennox didn't write that song, neil young did. i hate to see annie lennox get credit for anything, especially when someone as good as neil deserves it

don't let it bring you down

Even though this came out of left field,Thanks. I did not know that at all. I do love the Annie Lennox version. I'll have to find the Neal version. I should have known, I don't guess she has wrote any songs.

EDIT: BTW, my sigs been changed for awhile now.
Last edited by Mel_Smiley_VIP on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Dazzle » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:31 pm

i'm sure the 4 people who know what you're talking about were disappointed and then overjoyed by your 2 posts

winmx is decomposing. stop molesting the carcass

Young man when you know what your talking about I,ll be the first to listen to you, there are many users of slycks who use a multitude of clients and a lot of them use winmx because it works consistently and those on the winmxgroup patch have enjoyed 3 major feature updates so far with more being tested, besides the sue ratio for this client against others is something to be envied.

Whilst the client is still not open src a great amount of research has already been finished to facillitate the building of an open src client, in short nothing is going to stop us going from strength to strength.

It seems decentralised really is unstoppable :wink:
Dazzle

Return to WinMX