Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX and Agnitum Outpost

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

WinMX and Agnitum Outpost

Postby Keyser_Soze » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:08 pm

Before I toddle off to the Outpost forum, I was wondering if anyone had established a working set of rules for WinMX in Outpost. I used to have Sygate installed but I recently installed Outpost and I'm very impressed with it. I've had a look at some of the old rules for WinMX at the Outpost forum but they are really out of date and don't take into account the current situation. Is anyone here using WinMX with Outpost?
Keyser_Soze

Postby LD50% » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:02 pm

OUtpost 4 (latest) should automatically configure the best tested settings for winMX. Outpost is pretty clever, bet you could let it have full permission and never get problems. I used emule on full permissions for years with outpost and never once a problem.
LD50%

Postby Keyser_Soze » Tue May 15, 2007 11:57 am

Okay well I posted a question in the Oupost forum - twice! - and no one responded. I've tried to create my own Rules by reading all the previous WinMX related posts at the Outpost forum but I can't get things to work.

So I'm back here again (seeing as how there's been 500+ viewings of this thread _someone_ must use Outpost) to see if anyone who uses WinMX also uses Outpost and if so, what Rules do you use?

Hope someone can help.
Keyser_Soze

Postby Dazzle » Sat May 19, 2007 8:04 pm

I dont run this firewall but I took a look at the forum they operate and saw what I hope are the rules you mention. I have added some comments to guide you with possible changes.

[WinMX]
VisibleState: 1
Exe:
WinMX, WinMX.exe
DefaultState: 1
RuleName: WinMX - Outbound Network Connection
Protocol: TCP
Direction: Outbound // change for Inbound
RemotePort: 6699
AllowIt

DefaultState: 1 // delete this one as it seems redundant
RuleName: WinMX - Inbound Server Connection
Direction: Inbound
LocalPort: 63712
AllowIt

DefaultState: 1 // delete this one as it seems redundant
RuleName: WinMX - Outbound Server Connection
Direction: Outbound
LocalPort: 63712
AllowIt

RuleName: WinMX - Outbound Server Connection #1
RemoteHost: 216.127.74.62 // This should be set to a new peer cache IP (1)
RemotePort: 7950, 7952 // currently secondary, change this for primary (7940, 7942)
AllowIt

RuleName: WinMX - Outbound Server Connection #2
RemoteHost: 66.98.186.39 // This should be set to a new peer cache IP (2)
RemotePort: 7950, 7952 // currently secondary, change this for primary (7940, 7942)
AllowIt

RuleName: WinMX - Outbound Server Connection #3
RemoteHost: 66.132.146.48 // This should be set to a new peer cache IP (3)
RemotePort: 7951, 7952 // currently secondary, change this for primary (7940, 7942)
AllowIt

RuleName: WinMX - Outbound Server Connection #4
RemoteHost: 66.246.15.43 // This should be set to a new peer cache IP (4)
RemotePort: 7951 // currently secondary, change this for primary (7940, 7942)
AllowIt
AllowIt

RuleName: WinMX - OpenNap TCP Connections
RemotePort: 1111, 1122, 3333, 3456, 4444, 4567, 5555, 6134, 6666, 7000, 7777, 8888, 18888
AllowIt

RuleName: WinMX - UDP connection
Protocol: UDP
LocalPort: 9566 // this should be set to your winmx UDP port, default 6257
AllowIt

RuleName: WinMX - Block Non-Standard TCP Connections
Direction: outbound
BlockIt

RuleName: WinMX - Block Non-Standard UDP Connections // if receiving a poor roomlisting this can often be the cause.
Protocol: UDP
BlockIt

From the above post I can see that the IP addresses for winmx peer caches are not correct and the ports are set for secondary connection only (7940 - 7942 primary 7950 - 7952 secondary ), for those interested the winmx setup wizard port is 5690 TCP and so maybe a rule for this on one of the peer caches could be helpful.

You can select the peer cache IP's you want to use by looking here, I cant show which ones to use as depending on what patch you use they are different.

http://www.winmxgroup.com/check4.php

The active ones are for winmxgroup users and the ones marked inactive are for pie patch users, Obviously you could lay in rules for either or both.

I hope this is some help, like yourself I was waiting for an Outpost user to reply but it seems they are in short supply.

PS: I,m not 100% certain whether you should have an in /out rule for 6699 TCP so please adjust if necessary.
Dazzle

Postby Keyser_Soze » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:35 pm

I did try and work through all the WinMX rules that had been posted over at the Outpost forum, even the most recent rules which reflected the changes with the new servers, but I've still not got a fully working set of rules. Following the rules above on their own won't get the job done, but I'm close to getting a working set and if I'm successful I'll make sure to post them. (I can't believe that not one single reader of this post doesn't have Outpost installed and can't help though).
Keyser_Soze

Postby HEAT84 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:01 am

I had Outpost installed for awhile (coincidentally I also used Sygate before that)and was using WinMX with it just fine. I can't remember exactly what did but I don't imagine it was anything more than choosing to allow all connections when it asked me. Although I've used so many firewalls I could be wrong but they all seem to work that way. I'd probably still be using Outpost if there was a crack for the specific version (down to the last version digit) that I had.

If only I still had Outpost installed, maybe I'd be able to help you.:cry:

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security right now and am very happy with it except for having to tell it to not clean my hosts file every time Windows starts up. Actually I did have to add a rule to allow any TCP activity for WinMX. I might've had to do that with Outpost too.

If you actually paid for Outpost than I expect you'd wanna use it 'til the current subscription runs out. After that, maybe you'd wanna switch. Maybe to Kaspersky even.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Return to WinMX