Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

About WinMX 4.0

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:35 pm

anyone know or have a guess to WHY hasnt WinMx been targeted (yet)

Postby The Notorious » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:38 pm

Subgeo wrote:Nobody understands you Notorious. Isn't this the WinMX forum? The fact that none of the people being served supoenas were on WinmX makes it number 1 in my book.
http://www.eff.org[/url]

I apologize for igniting the conversation of Kazaa Lite into this forum. However you could very well be wrong with your statement. I'm trying to convey to everyone who visits these forums to gain knowledge of the ever changing P2P world of why at a time like this saying "The fact that none of the people being served supoenas were on WinmX makes it number 1 in my book" is devastating. My prediction is that one day in the near future where no one knows that they are a target until it gets posted on the TechTV website - Several users of WPNP & the OpenNap networks will be targeted by the RIAA & other organizations such as the MPAA. Kazaa Lite & Morpheus [not that I'm a fan of Morpheus] are the only two clients out there that realizes the RIAA's potential and has done anything to minimize your risks as a file swapper. Thus – These are the only two clients that actually mentions protection from the RIAA on their own website. Kazaa Lite has an already built in IP blocker, PeerGuardian application and a feature that makes you look like you're sharing one [copyrighted] file. Morpheus have fought the RIAA in court several times defeating the greedy minds of the RIAA. I honestly believe you are at a higher risk sharing [uploading/downloading] on any other file sharing software.
The Notorious

Postby The Notorious » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:56 pm

Just like how several users left the FastTrack network & thought of the MP2P network as a paradise for obtaining MP3's - Boy were they misguided. Let's face facts here, at TechTV's complete list of names more than ten users operating on the MP2P network are going to pay the salaries of the people who works for the RIAA.
The Notorious

Postby Imagenyuss » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:40 pm

The Notorious (TN); winMX is the best. Stop crying.
Why do I say this? Again and again my friends who use kazaa have trouble finding files. why? because Kazaa connects to only one supernode and only the people connected to that same supernode. I've tried using KL's speed up whatever, to no increased success. But...strangely enough I'm able to find the obsure files my friends were searching high and low for on this little winMX network.
You say that because kazaa has the largest number of users it's the best; that is simply a lie. Because, as I stated above, you only connect to a limited number of users (those connected to a supernode) it doesn't matter if everyone in the world used kazaa, you'd still only be able to download from and search a small fraction of the total population. Does winMX have this problem? absolute it does; is there a way around it? yep. OPENNAPS. You can effectively add thousands of additional users to your searchable base of peeps. Bigger does not mean better; sorry.
Another thing; although kazaa lite can mask the number of files you're sharing, it doesn't have any capability to mask your IP - at all. uh, what is this? does winMX have the ability to use proxies? I BELIEVE IT DOES, SIR.
Kazaa is full of corrupt files and riaa bots screw up everyone's downloads. I'm sure you read the hash fault that was posted in the other news part of this site. the riaa has been corrupting kazaa files for months now.

TN, how about you start talking smack about winMX when you know what you're talking about.
yours truly,
-micah
Imagenyuss

Postby Longhorn » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:52 pm

Imagenyuss wrote:. . . because Kazaa connects to only one supernode and only the people connected to that same supernode . . .

Out of curiosity, where did you see this? I'm not saying that I disagree with you but provide me with a link to prove this.
Longhorn

easier way to protect yourself

Postby fundude » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:51 pm

Well i know some of you all will jump on me for this, but if you really want to be even safer, as soon as your file is downloaded just take it out of your shared files folder and put it in some other folder on your hard drive, this has worked for me so far...
fundude

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:55 pm

But that's being leech and if everyone did so, P2P networks wouldn't exist . . .

Postby Imagenyuss » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:02 am

Longhorn wrote:
Imagenyuss wrote:. . . because Kazaa connects to only one supernode and only the people connected to that same supernode . . .

Out of curiosity, where did you see this? I'm not saying that I disagree with you but provide me with a link to prove this.
when I say this I am simply repeating what has been said by more knowledgable people than myself. I don't believe sharmen would set up any kind of site detailing the intricacies of the frast track network. I've seen this statement made several times by several different people, and it makes sense. How could anyone search the entire 4mil. comp user base? the overhead would be attrocious.
-micah
sorry if i didn't provide the definitive proof you were probably looking for
Imagenyuss

Postby RoninBK » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:20 am

To fundude:

True, that would be safer, but it will get you all kinds of bad karma.

Then again, I'm a little tired of people complaining about how something isn't safe. Abstinence is safer than sex, but dammit, it's not as fun.
RoninBK

Postby fundude » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:56 pm

Hehe, thats rite
fundude

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:21 pm

RoninBK wrote:To fundude:

True, that would be safer, but it will get you all kinds of bad karma.

Then again, I'm a little tired of people complaining about how something isn't safe. Abstinence is safer than sex, but dammit, it's not as fun.

Not to sound perverted, but you can think of 'not sharing at all' as abstinence and sharing on Kazaa Lite as using a condom to prevent semen from entering the vargina. You can still enjoy the pleasures of sharing [just like engaging in copulation] but it may still feel shitty. Hey it's still better than nothin'! LOL!

Postby doggeral » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:18 pm

My 2 cents is.

1. Fasttrack supernode system is good for speed, but does limit results.

http://www.pcquest.com/content/p2p/102091205.asp

2. Fasttrack network is a network where people who really want to share nothing go and take from those stupid enough to still share their C drive thinking it will give them more speed. Music files now corrupted by the riaa due to a network vulnerability. The inability to recognize fake files makes it not worth much in the way of anything.

2. If you want big things .... direct connect is wonderful for those huge yet obscure files, simply because there are terabytes and terabytes and petabytes of stuff there. Well inforced sharing too. If you want something more normal Overnet/Emule/Edonkey are great as they have the best hashing system for recognizing files even with name changes and such. Plus it makes you share to download. Especially beneficial with Horde downloads which are great when you have 4 or 5 people all trying to obtain the same file together as one.

3. Music. Obscure Music is found on WinMx and Soulseek. I find that it usually depends. Mainstream music will download faster on the MP2P network, but the results are generally limited to that i find.

4. Kazaa simply has no place to me. Even most of the good larger files the network has comes from donkey network releasers like sharereactor. Plus the music quality found on there was generally low. And now there is no such thing as quality music in Kazaa since the Riaa has corrupted the network entirely for music.[/url]
doggeral

Postby doggeral » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:22 pm

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/08262003a.php

Mis placed my Kazaa corruption article.
doggeral

WinMX 4.0

Postby bic » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:51 pm

I thought this is winmx 4.0 topic and not a bloody debate club, why dont you all shud up and let peopele who have news, ideas and suggestions about new winmx post their stuff so i wouldnt have to read 4 pages of bul***it.
If i liked winmx that means i will use it in future too and you cant convince me that kazza is better coz some peopel dont use winmx in that purpose only! What about opennap server and other? Kazaa dont have it? No? Than im not interested what kazaa has! So take your argues somewhere else to place maybe where someone will care!
And let other people speak who has something to say aboot winmx 4.0 only!!! And btw bittorent is best to place to get large files! Tywm.
Regards.
blah, who cares....
bic

Postby RoninBK » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:39 pm

Hey bic, welcome to the flame war. Here's your asbestos vest...
RoninBK

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:30 am

You see there's nothin' to report on WinMX 4.0 . . .

It may never be released, Ha, LOL.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:26 pm

Let's see here . . .

It's late October - Where's WinMX 4.0?????????????????????????????????????

Postby enzo » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:57 pm

doggeral wrote:
4. Kazaa simply has no place to me. Even most of the good larger files the network has comes from donkey network releasers like sharereactor. Plus the music quality found on there was generally low. And now there is no such thing as quality music in Kazaa since the Riaa has corrupted the network entirely for music.[/url]

I agree wholeheartedly - I DL Kazaa Lite or K++ every so often to see what all the buzz is about, only to wind up scratching my head and uninstalling it! WinMX still works great for me when I'm looking for an elusive title, and I won't DL anything less then 160bps so Kazaa is severely limited on that pre-req alone! for most music Gnutella clients are great. I'm sure KaZaa has it's place as well, just not on my hard drive :)[/b]
enzo

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:07 am

enzo wrote:
doggeral wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly - I DL Kazaa Lite or K++ every so often to see what all the buzz is about, only to wind up scratching my head and uninstalling it! WinMX still works great for me when I'm looking for an elusive title, and I won't DL anything less then 160bps so Kazaa is severely limited on that pre-req alone! for most music Gnutella clients are great. I'm sure KaZaa has it's place as well, just not on my hard drive :)[/b]

That's exactly how I feel about WinMX. I always wonder what the big fuss about it -- The only things I found out about WinMX is long queries, limited selection in comparison to Kazaa Lite, outdated and definitely not as safe.

Postby KONQUEROR » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:55 pm

USERNAME: The Notorious
Forum: Gnutella Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:36 pm Subject: Gnutella Statistics
"this dude chats crap, where is he gettin this from he is so against Morpheus that he puts them the lowest and LimeWire at the top how funy (cos be loves likewire so much) we all know Morpheus is the m ...

--
USERNAME: gregorio@gmx.li
Forum: Gnutella Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:18 pm Subject: Gnutella Statistics
this dude chats crap, where is he gettin this from he is so against Morpheus that he puts them the lowest and LimeWire at the top how funy (cos be loves likewire so much) we all know Morpheus is the m ...

--
USERNAME: Jabber
Forum: Gnutella Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:03 pm Subject: Gnutella Statistics
this dude chats crap, where is he gettin this from he is so against Morpheus that he puts them the lowest and LimeWire at the top how funy (cos be loves likewire so much) we all know Morpheus is the m ...

By whatever name you try to go by, you are still a Zeropaid troll. Notorious, Jabber, gregorio@gmx.li, and whoever else you try to pose as, saying Morpheus is so great or Kazaa is so great, everyone already knows you're just a jr high kiddie with no expertise. It's pretty easy to tell. haha. Remember, this is Slyck here, people know their stuff. Not like Zeropaid where everyone's just kind of a visitor or part of the little message-board-nerd-club. Slyck has the actual developers of the programs and experienced programmers in its community.

You can tell the difference between a Slyck-Quality post and a board-goof by the fact that the higher calibre people on Slyck will post an INFORMATIVE post. One that includes actual information. Rather than some opinion fight or a futile word-flail.

Example:

TYPICAL SLYCK USER: "Kazaa contains the following features...I noticed in the protocol that a packet is sent....this results in a cached response....using UDP port number....I wrote some code to test this and discovered the following..."

TYPICAL BOARD-NERD: "You chat a lot of crap! XXXX is better@! You don't know what you're talking about so-n-so! XXXX don't have no spyware and beside, you can just remove it! YYYY sucks and the one I like is best!"

And yes, we see you're over on Zeropaid's board too, Notorious, under a different name, posting stuff trying to defend Morpheus's spyware on there. LOL. Settle down. You're like a little gnat that's gonna get sprayed one day.

Anyway, in the spirit of having a post that offers some actual information germaine to the thread topic, here is a short article about the Announcement of WINMX 4.0. It is in French, so I hope you can read multiple languages like many of us can. It is in reference to Slyck's article and has a link back to Slyck as well for the interview with Kevin Hearn.

http://www.ratiatum.com/p2p.php?article=1028

It talks about some of the expected or discussed features, etc.

It's just a small article and is simply speaking in general about it, so don't go to this article expecting that it opens the flood-gates of information or anything, it's simply of small interest to those who might enjoy keeping up on some developments until the actual update is produced.

Enjoy...
KONQUEROR

Postby The Notorious » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:28 pm

I never knew that someone would actually take my username and then use it on other websites in order to deteriorate my reputation here at Slyck. I have never once on Slyck been involved in reccommending using Morpheus. I have never participated on other P2P websites' forums such as ZeroPaid.
The Notorious

Postby The Notorious » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:36 pm

Also KONQUEROR don't develop assumptions on an issue like this. My username happens to be simple & vague unlike the username “method77". Anyone could have taken it. I wonder if that individual has the same email address as me! - LOL.
The Notorious

Postby bic » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:12 pm

i just dont understand people like notorius, what is your POINT?
Your mother didnt give you enough attention? I dont care about kazaa!!!
And i say again this is winmx 4 topic, and i didnt notice anything related to winmx 4.0 so what are you doing here, and how long did u use winmx?
Do you know what people use it for? No! So SHUT UP THAN!
blah, who cares....
bic

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:42 pm

FC has 4 five days and counting....

Postby Longhorn » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:48 pm

Even if The Notorious decided to call himself/herself 'The Notorious77' at Slyck, someone still could have copied him/her at ZeroPaid or any other website. So for KONQUEROR to be pointing the finger at The Notorious, that was completely idiotic. Like The Notorious says you don't have enough of explicit evidence to prove or blame The Notorious for spam or anything.
Longhorn

PreviousNext

Return to WinMX