Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

About WinMX 4.0

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: About WinMX 4.0

Postby ToM » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:20 pm

winmxlover2002 wrote::cry: its so hard without winmx...
a chinese girl... send me winmx 2002 in nov..
it was the best gift ever in my life..
have been talking to all the world in the nights..
in the days.. sharing giving crying...
my days and nights was a happy life with all the world...
the.. bad. sad.. mad.. ugly..
....badmakers why not send them forever out in space
PLEASE WINMX COME BACK MY LIFE IS EMTY WITHOUT YOU!!!!!!!!!
calle very poor but happy if winmx come back.
sweden kl 22:44
27 sep

The saying "they only come out at night" needs to be rephrased to "they only come out when a network or website shuts down".
Pirate.
ToM
©

Re: Tech Development

Postby ah.hoffman » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:37 pm

SlyckTom wrote:Anyone who writes anything to the effect that WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled will be banned from the site, and their post eliminated....

been using amd, and xp; primary on winmx uses
massive cpu...2887 hits for Stairway to heaven
any given time and 2 or 3 for less attractive
tracks. 353 crashed a lot. started with new
last 3 mos. Rarely experienced peer sharing
more than 100. I shared a lot, but who cares
...use(d)(s) tcp and udp over 20000 I think..
that got changed later...lots of verbal abuse
by somebody had 17 files and wanted tons of
songs...More luck or success DL as opposed to
UL..reason unknown and debatable...using other
programs while using Winmx difficult, especially
while connected to primary...NOT Pentium, going
to confession tom...SEARCH results slow at times
very slow often...many times update problems most
know that shown results not up to date...plenty
of mayhem, spoofing, and what I describe as
network saturation...
if this is too much information or misuse of
this board, let admin know PL&H
ah.hoffman

Postby SabreRattler » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:36 pm

I've been using WinMX since 2001. It's gone and I miss it terribly. I've tried Kaaza, Bear Share, eDonkey, Limewire, and now Ares Gold.

Not one of them gives me the number of choices, bitrates, and number of users as WinMX.

Come back, WinMX.
SabreRattler

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:38 pm

What is Ares Gold?!?!
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby notbob » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:45 pm

SlyckTom wrote:What is Ares Gold?!?!

it gives a golden shower every half-hour
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby LxBeast » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:46 pm

Edit: :lol: :lol: : notbob.

SabreRattler wrote:I've tried *snip* Ares Gold.

Ares Gold is a rip off of Ares, which happens to bundle adware.

Tho' I'n not surprised you downloaded it.

http://www.download.com/Ares-Gold/3000- ... 17827.html

Download.com have a no-spyware clause, but obviously they don't have a no adware clause.....or maybe they just like money....

Anyway, the real ares is here: http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/

Ares 1.8.4 is out now, the releases are coming thick and fast. :)

At the very least it's worth seeing where it goes. Beggars can't be choosers. :P

Come back, WinMX.

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 68&start=0
Last edited by LxBeast on Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LxBeast

Postby SlyckScratch » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:49 pm

Ares Gold offers a great variety of MP3 and other music files as well as movies, images, and games. All media files come from established P2P file sharing networks like Kazaa, LimeWire, Ares Galaxy, and Morpheus.
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Does anyone have an idea where to find self help files?

Postby charismeincalif » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:18 pm

I have a bunch of WNMIX Incomplete. What a drag it is! Is there a way to find another source - place to get these files completed? Is there a better than __ ? source for Hypnosis, Anthony Robbins, audio?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. :?:
charismeincalif

Postby kevogod » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:29 pm

SlyckTom wrote:What is Ares Gold?!?!

It must be a competitor to my Kazaa Gold... Hmm...
kevogod

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:34 pm

I hope you people aren't actually taking my question seriously! I was really hoping to get an answer from sabre...
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

winmx -

Postby globbo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:08 pm

First,...Thanks for the Host File info on how to "re-activate" WINMX,...very good info,....and it DOES work.

Secondly,...I have a shitload of music to share, but I notice that (for the past year) when people try to dnload music from me, they "time-out", even though I give (transfer settings) priority to them. I have a good machine, running XP Pro, a 2.4Gig Processor, 512MB of RAM with a CABLE connection to the internet.....SO, How can I help facilitate giving my files to them? (My WINMX is set up as a Secondary connection, as this seems to work best)

Thirdly, ...FUCK RIAA members, right where they all breathe. They can sue me all day long, I don't give a fuck, because if it ever came down to me "owing" them some sort of penalty,...they would have better luck at sucking farts out of dead sea-gulls, than they would trying to collect a friggin' red cent, from me.
globbo

Postby SabreRattler » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:06 pm

SlyckTom wrote:I hope you people aren't actually taking my question seriously! I was really hoping to get an answer from sabre...

I found Ares Gold at http://www.download.com, and paid the £13 or so to get "super fast connections, better searches, etc." I'm not real happy with it mainly because you don't know the bitrates of the files you're downloading.

WinMX was everything I wanted in P2P software. I've got Ares Gold, Limeware Pro, and eDonkey Pro installed and none of them gives me what WinMX did.

Maybe it's because I'm in the 55+ age group that I've become a Grumpy Old Man.

Is there really a WinMX 4.0? I've got 3.53, but as far as I can tell, it's pulled up stakes and is no longer working.
SabreRattler

Postby tm, » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:04 pm

SabreRattler wrote:Is there really a WinMX 4.0? I've got 3.53, but as far as I can tell, it's pulled up stakes and is no longer working.

There have been several recent news articles here on Slyck about WinMX's shutdown and rebirth, as well as much forum discussion.

As for WinMX 4.0 - the original thread post: "Anyone who writes anything to the effect that WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled will be banned from the site, and their post eliminated...." was posted over two years ago, and despite the fact that SlyckTom's fatwa is still "on the books", I'm sure that he won't ban anyone who violates that rule, since it's already a foregone conclusion that WinMX 4.0 will never see the light of day.

Here is another image of the Ares Gold install (note the big red letters)

And sure enough, Download.com is carrying Ares Gold. But interestingly, no user comments mention that it's a scam.

http://www.download.com/Ares-Gold/3640- ... 41689.html

SabreRattler - If I understand it correctly, you say you paid £13, and for that you got a spyware-infected computer and an outdated copy of software (the real Ares is updated frequently) that you could have downloaded for free.

The official download sites for Ares are http://www.aresgalaxy.org and http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net - and the software is absolutely free and does not come with any bundled software (i.e: spyware/adware). The scammers in this case are technically not breaking the law because Ares is open-source software. I just hope that you got Edonkey Pro and Limewire Pro from the official sites, instead of paying to some scam site for bootleg copies.

You should also read ToM's site about P2P scams.

http://www.p2pscams.info

SabreRattler - consider yourself older and wiser now.

I bet that WinMX's shutdown has been like a goldmine for all these scam artists that prey on the uninformed and gullible. With millions of people suddenly tossed out of WinMX and who don't know how to install the patch to get back on, the scammers are sure to be laughing all the way to the bank.
tm,

Postby SabreRattler » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:34 am

Alas, it was the threads on this very forum raving about how wonderful Ares Gold was that prompted me to try it. The thread in question, compared Ares Gold with eDonkey. I bought both registered copies and have found them wanting.

SlyckTom's wonderful essay on WinMX alluded to the fact that in 2002 WinMX had a boatload of users; that was what hooked me.

Is there a predominant network now?
SabreRattler

Postby IceCube » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:53 am

Slyck Stats say the eDonkey2000 network (though, of course, most of these are e-Mule users) but there's always the BitTorrent that is impossible to fully track, but it probably has more users. Gnutella took a bit of a blow because of the whole issue with LimeWire and Gnutella2 isn't bad as it has most, if not, all the mainstream stuff with smaller hash chunks. Bear in mind, these are (except for Gnutella1) networks I have used and the source performance has been great. Just need a little patience with eMule with the rarer stuff, but usually is findable.
IceCube

Postby LxBeast » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:01 am

SabreRattler wrote:Alas, it was the threads on this very forum raving about how wonderful Ares Gold was that prompted me to try it. The thread in question, compared Ares Gold with eDonkey.

Can you give us a link to the thread in question?

Specifically it said 'Ares Gold' v eDonkey? Not 'Ares?'
LxBeast

Postby Assyrian » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:08 am

Never seen a thread subjected "Ares Gold", i've been through almost all of Ares threads, so i have no idea where you pulled that one from.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby tm, » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:18 am

Maybe there was some confusion between Ares Gold and the renowned - and highly acclaimed - Kazaa Gold?

There was an in-depth discussion thread in P2P forums: Why Kazaa Gold is right for you!

SlyckTom wrote:I actually started using Kazaa Gold the other day. I only paid $45.99 for it...What a great deal...no popups or ads! I am going to interview the developers on Slyck and promote the Hell out of it..

:P :P
tm,

Postby DevilMayChew » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm

Im finding it hard to adapt to programms that are new to me. Shareaza is a P.o.S Morpheus and Limewire join shareaza in that honorable rank. Ares used to work nicely, no longer does it.

FrontCode needs to take a stand against the RIAA, pull their heads out of their asses and continue providing a service that is second to non.

As for paying for Kazza? My question is Why?? You can download Kazza or Limewire Pro and find someone who is willing to give you their access code. Nevermind both being shitty.

Just a little tip for all you that waste tha 45 quid. Spend your hard earned Ca$h on Beer! Whatsaaaaa Mattaaa with youz
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." - Robert Orben
DevilMayChew

Postby curzlgt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:36 am

DevilMayChew wrote:Im finding it hard to adapt to programms that are new to me. Shareaza is a P.o.S Morpheus and Limewire join shareaza in that honorable rank. Ares used to work nicely, no longer does it.

FrontCode needs to take a stand against the RIAA, pull their heads out of their asses and continue providing a service that is second to non.

As for paying for Kazza? My question is Why?? You can download Kazza or Limewire Pro and find someone who is willing to give you their access code. Nevermind both being shitty.

Just a little tip for all you that waste tha 45 quid. Spend your hard earned Ca$h on Beer! Whatsaaaaa Mattaaa with youz

Welcome Devil!

Think of Slyck as The Chocolate Factory..... Tom as Willy Wonka and tm as slugworth........

This is where you want to be....... but be careful of the sarcasim, as it can often get waste deep here.... :wink:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby Jess » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:59 am

HI, I am no computer wizz kid, I have only ever used
winMx and loved it, I tried Limewire but it seemed to stuff up my puter making it slow. I only have 56K
dial up, but I was satisfied with the downloads I was
able to get from WinMx music, now in words I am able to understand lol, can someone tell me what's
happening is WinMx gone forever? what can I use to replace it? oh and did I tell you I am a dumb blonde
from Aussie? aah but you probably guessed...

Jessie.....
Jess

Postby Sprite » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:06 am

Hey..
thank you all for the reads...the tips and advice ..and links.
Mahalo
Sprite

Re: wnmix, ares, emule and all the rest.

Postby charismeincalif » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:36 am

ok I really messed up cuz I see now there's a patch to recover wnmix-which I removed from my programs... man was that dumb, or what?
tried ares, and emule, checked out imesh- the only one I still have is emule and it just isn't wnmix.
down and depressed about all of this- oh well
if anyone has any good ideas I'm here to listen!:cry: -----------.........................
SEE MY CRY 4 HELP! - PLEASE? ------
THANK YOU!!!
-----------------Char.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:18 pm Post subject: Does anyone have an idea where to find self help files?

I have a bunch of WNMIX Incomplete. What a drag it is! Is there a way to find another source - place to get these files completed? Is there a better than __ ? source for Hypnosis, Anthony Robbins, audio?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
charismeincalif

Postby IceCube » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:02 am

Emule should be more then enough for the odd track here and there. If you want a P2P app just for user friendlyness, I hear that some WinMX fans like the GUI of Shareaza. Of course, only use Shareaza for the G2 network. Connecting to ED2K through that app has always seemed like a security risk but I havn't bothered checking out the newer version yet as I dumped the network a while ago.

It's really a shame that no one is making a "WinMX Resurrected" app that's open source, allows 3rd party servers like ED2K and keep it clean of malware. One could gain quite a bit of WinMX popularity with something like that. Instead, I've only seen hacks and patches of the old app.
IceCube

Re: wnmix, ares, emule and all the rest.

Postby sumfuka » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:54 am

charismeincalif wrote:ok I really messed up cuz I see now there's a patch to recover wnmix-which I removed from my programs... man was that dumb, or what?
tried ares, and emule, checked out imesh- the only one I still have is emule and it just isn't wnmix.
down and depressed about all of this- oh well
if anyone has any good ideas I'm here to listen!:cry:

Just grab the v1.9 patch from http://www.winmxgroup.com/. It contains WinMX v3.54 within the package.
sumfuka

PreviousNext

Return to WinMX