Slyck Chatbox - And More

About WinMX 4.0

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby ElsaPaak » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:29 am

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:
ElsaPaak wrote:
I am happy to see that, because you resort to namecalling, and by the non-intelligence of your response that you admit that you were wrong.

Namecalling?? Non-Intelligence of your post??

I guess your dumb ass post qualifies as that, and you admit that your negative/positive stance is WRONG.

P.S. - It would have been much better to just say that you were and will always be an upload bitch, then to say the damn ratio was negative.

You just prove my point by also resulting in namecalling. Sigh. Nice to see you do my work for me. Furthermore, you're just repeating my words with a different addressee. Please be more original next time, this shows your lack of intelligence, now on your side. And according to his nick, willy can talk for himself, but then again, what's the value of either?
.............\\\|////.......
.............\\ - - //.....
.............( @ @ )......
+oOOo== (_)== oOOo===+
"Anchovies, anchovies, you're so delicious, I love you more than all the other fishes" - Dawn Summers.
ElsaPaak

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:20 pm

Edited - HC
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby Nessmaster » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:21 pm

How did this go from WinMX to this!?!?!?
Nessmaster

Postby HouseCrowd » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:55 am

Nessmaster wrote:How did this go from WinMX to this!?!?!?

Wish I knew! :roll:

Ok, I'm sorry to have to say this, but any more of this name-calling and this thread gets locked!!

Let's get this thread back to a sensible WinMX discussion please!

No more name-calling!

... and U_O, you should know better!
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby DaBlade » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:27 am

I asked about it about one page back, but they ignored me. :shock: :lol:
Anyway, Tom's been in touch with Kevin.According to Tom, Kevin said he had some news about the betas. Kev told him that he'll send Tom an email about it this weekend. And since it is weekend, and saturday's already over, let's hope Kevin dosn't pull a Frontcode on us! :lol:
Anyway, sorry Tom, but I couldn't keep it to myself. News like this tears you up inside unless you let someone else know too!
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:09 am

Its not top secret Halo..I wouldnt have shared it with you or told you to keep it hush hush if it was! But I have not heard anything yet......... :evil:
SlyckTom

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:46 pm

Wow, I highly doubt there will be any news about *new* winmx betas. Keep your hopes up Halo. :lol:

And HC, sorry, but that ##### is the one that got the whole thread off topic, by about 4 or 5 pages. :lol:

But all in all, it got removed as I suspected. I am not mad about the situation and I don't take it back. Maybe I should just PM him/her, that's if he/she checks them. :lol:
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby wulfbear » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:49 am

would be nice if the beta program got started again, before I die of old age...

Being a WinMX user has gotten to be like being a Cubs fan--lots of heartbreaks, few things to cheer about.

- Wulfbear
3 forms in 1 - A Renaissance man with the body of a grizzly bear and heart of a wolf.
wulfbear

Damn!

Postby RoninBK » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:27 am

:: Begin rant mode ::

The more things change, the more things stay the same. I leave for about nine months, and the conversation around here is still stuck on the same simplistic shiznit. WinMX fanboys versus The Notorious and his merry band of nay-sayers.

The only new developments are that the Version Number actually HAS moved closer to the 4.0 "Holy Grail," and the fact that eighth grade math seems to elude some Slyck.com users. Actually now that I think about it, that last part really wasn't much of a change...

It all boils down this this, kiddies. Does WinMX 3.53 work? Can you download your poison of choice without getting bitten in the keister by the RIAA stormtrooping lawyers? Can you live with the limitations of the current system? And if not, why are you still around here complaining about it, and not on some other network that caters to your more demanding requirements??

Everybody keeps going on and on about how Version 4.0 will be this fantastic program that will allow you to conveniently and effortlessly connect to a buttload of good files, with zero crap-files and without having your queue clogged by requests from people who you don't seem to think are sharing enough files for your taste.

Personally, I doubt it. I just downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2. and already I'm finding problems with the "latest and greatest" offering from the boyz in Redmond WA. Forgive me for being a little skeptical about the turning of the digit being the salvation of WinMX. History doesn't bear out that conclusion. Was 3.0 such a revolution from the 2.x series?

If you hate WinMX, or what WinMX has become, then so be it. I won't be holding my breath to wait until 4.0 rolls out to see if you are going to come back. There are many other networks for you to try, or you can go over to the brand-new soulless version of Napster, and "go legit."

Oh, and if I offended anybody in this little tirade, I strongly suggest you take a good look at yourselves and the world around you, and S.T.F.U.

:: End rant mode ::

Have a nice day.

- Ronin, (Back with a vengeance, or at least with a strong headache...)
RoninBK

Postby Imagenyuss » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:54 pm

Was 3.0 such a revolution from the 2.x series?
multisource, hashing, partial sharing, proxies, better chat, an entirely new network, and a plethora of other touches were implemented in the 2.x-to the 3.x switch...what do you mean 'was 3.0 such a revolution from the 2.x series'? don't you think the success of winMX today is largely couched on the fact that winMX shares many of its advanced features many of its competitors have (see list above); surely winMX would not be where it is today if we were still stuck downloading directly from one person. v2.6 was not some golden age; v3.31 changed everything.
-micah
Imagenyuss

Postby raar » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:31 am

Imagenyuss wrote:
Was 3.0 such a revolution from the 2.x series?
multisource, hashing, partial sharing, proxies, better chat, an entirely new network, and a plethora of other touches were implemented in the 2.x-to the 3.x switch...what do you mean 'was 3.0 such a revolution from the 2.x series'? don't you think the success of winMX today is largely couched on the fact that winMX shares many of its advanced features many of its competitors have (see list above); surely winMX would not be where it is today if we were still stuck downloading directly from one person. v2.6 was not some golden age; v3.31 changed everything.
-micah

Nice!
Of course, it was better. Even the littlest thing is great. Yeah, so you have to wait awhile. I've been through worse things in life. And the bottom line is that whilst you wait, you still have an excellent app to get your tunes. Right?
The reality is that WinMX is out of the spotlight, it's clean, every app has it's queues, (and i'm 56k people, without complaint), it's still around without all of the hoopla that many of the others have had to go through, and the list goes on.
So let's all just go on with life. If it comes, it comes, if it doesn't, then continue with what you have, hey it works. And like a lot have said, if you don't like it, then find another way to get your tunes.
raar

Postby nms04 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:53 am

does someone know when they will start with a new beta??
nms04

Postby DaBlade » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:58 am

Concidering how secretive Kevin is, we can only wait and and hope for the best. For now, enjoy 3.54B3

DaBlade

Postby eclectica » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:21 am

Any news about WinMX 5?
© copylefted
eclectica

Postby Ooble » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:39 am

Heh. I wouldn't mind some news about v3.6 first.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby DaBlade » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:00 am

Ditto@Ooble :lol:

DaBlade

Postby tm, » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:50 pm

This thread might be one of the longest lived of all ... it just keeps going.

I think that the original decree that this thread originated has long since expired. By now it should have been obvious to everyone that there will be no version 4 in the foreseeable future, now that the current plan is to upgrade version 3 instead. I suspect that v.3.6 will be a long time in coming since that will be a major upgrade (even 3.55 is a big step) - as it seems that virtually all progress in the last 2 1/2 years has been fairly minor tweaks.

As WinMX was just a hobby for the developer, it seems he's now got other priorities.

But I would agree that it would be nice to see another Slyck story about WinMX during the next year - it's been a long dry spell.
tm,

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:47 pm

Well, I would rather wait till they come up with something good and stable as opposed to something quick and buggy. I know its been a long tme running (I joined this site 3 months after the day I read ST's article about WinMX 4,0). But what can you do but wait?
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby ElsaPaak » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:52 pm

At the moment, WinMX IS very buggy for my 'constellation', it's crashes always when I try to get more than one network, and after a couple of hours.
.............\\\|////.......
.............\\ - - //.....
.............( @ @ )......
+oOOo== (_)== oOOo===+
"Anchovies, anchovies, you're so delicious, I love you more than all the other fishes" - Dawn Summers.
ElsaPaak

Postby tm, » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:50 am

ElsaPaak, If WinMX is crashing, make sure that you connect as a peer and not as a supernode.

WinMX sometimes used to crash after several hours when I was using Win98, but no more than any other P2P.

You can also try out an older version 3.31 and see if that might help at all

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winmx
tm,

Postby DeViLmAn » Wed May 04, 2005 9:43 pm

Im realy realy glad this thread is still open ive been coming onto to slyck for a long time now and ive only ever read the news articals . And reading this thread has been so funny what ever you dont dont close it its been going for nearly 2 years now and could proberly keep going on for at least another couple of years . The first 4 or 5 pages i felt like smacking that notorius, its a thread about winmx he dosnt have to go on and on and on about kazza lite . You were trying to have a discussion about WinMX 4 not kazza lite and then the crap about the negative upload ratios that was well funny what a pair of tits argueing over somthing so silly.

Anyway to get to my point if you learn how to use winmx properly and are willing to put in a bit of effort you can get roughly 5 dvdrips (thats 5 files 700MB) a day on a 1MB connection and a descent i.s.p. . And im not talking crap becouse i do this myself on the winmx it just takes about a couple days to get the ball rolling on this . Only other program i use is bittorrent every now and again .

Anyway ill edit this thread or add another tommorrow if i have to and explain exacterly how to do it .
People that whine and slag WinMX of dont know how to use it or there just leeches .
DeViLmAn

Postby DeViLmAn » Thu May 05, 2005 8:04 am

Right im wide awake now and i can explain myself properly well here goes.

No.1 When you connect to WinMX go primary it only takes a little bit of bandwidth of your connection and if no one makes a primary conection WinMX will eventualy stop working. Also when on a primary conection you get better search results and thats a fact (Thats why im not to happy about WinMX 3.53 by default in the conection wizard when you select you have a broadband connection or cable it no longer picks a primary connection it picks secondry which i think is a bad idea personly.).

No.2 Share lots if you share loads of a particular type of file you will attract like minded people to your que which you can then in turn browse and see what they have. I personaly know alot of people on WinMX some of them constantly sharing hundreds of gigabytes of information some of them haveing tetrabytse of data offline now these are great people to know and to have has friends.

No.3 Make friends and start people freely dont always expect to trade for a start People remember stuff like That. And think what a great person and when there browsing there que they might see your name one day and think hey theres that cool guy that started me ill start him .

No.4 DO NOT JUST GO FOR ONE FILE go for what ever your heart desires get loads if you go for just one file at a time youll be disapointed. It could have very limited source or just be a bad file in the end and theres nothing worse than waiting weeks to get something and its crap quality or foriegn.

No.5 Use the chatrooms you dont have to talk in every chatroom some i go in and just park and browse away to see what extra sources i can get for my downloads. But chatting to people is deffinatly a bonus for you, you can make friends this way and this is proberly were your gonna meet the people with tetrabytse of data.

No.6 Do MULTIPLE searchs for a file useing different keywords and search for alternates (the hash number). The reason i say this is 9 time out of 10 if i press the search button again more different sources will eventually apear.

No.7 Help each other someone helped me and someone helped them pass the knowledge on if we dont help one another p2p will just will not work.

Well i think ill call it a day with that theres much more stuff i could say but i dont want to be to specific. As i want any newbies that read this to use the CHATROOMS this is what WinMX is realy about its a community of people not a app just to download stuff without the people it just wouldnt work.

p.s. Nearly everything i know about bittorrent was taught to me by people on WinMX people on WinMX will help you with anything.

p.p.s. Who needs any other app when you have the best already WinMX rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
DeViLmAn

Postby Bizzare » Thu May 05, 2005 9:10 am

People that whine and slag WinMX of dont know how to use it or there just leeches .

They also might have a conn faster than 1 mb.. Or they may not like their dl's being corrupted during a crash. Or they may really hate people.

I agree with you that social p2p works for social people; I use winmx for chat daily.. But antisocial people and people with 5mb+ might not find it quite as rewarding.. Personally, there just isn't anything on winmx I can't find faster, and with less trouble, somewhere else. By far, most of the files I want originate somewhere else before they hit winmx. It's much simpler to go to these places (reg. trackers, irc, etc) and find them at the source..

Of course if having a tag and a bunch of m8s in an mx room makes ya feel cozy, by all means go for it.. Just realize you're a lot closer to the bottom of the barrel (corrupt or fake files, lo-quality rips that keep getting passed around, must share, etc) than the top (hi-qual pre-releases from semi-professional uploaders, requiring no upload and therefore comparatively safe to grab).

I realise that other networks, particularly torrent, have made hi-quality stuff more available on mx. To me, that's brownie points for torrent tho, as it says that mx is dependant on other distribution systems (torrent, newsgroups, irc, emule, dc++, etc) to have a satisfactory distribution system itself.. guess you could call it p2p2p..

No one on winmx even shares nfos. They aren't shared by default. That means games/apps may lack serial #'s, or installation or cracking instructions. It's also a kinda slap in the face to most release groups/rippers, who generally don't really care what happens to their shit as long as no one renames em and they post the nfo w/it.

As for 4.0.. well.. I don't think I really need to comment on that.. I will say that last year, on April 1st, if you cruised the mx chatlist, there were at least 10 rooms w/a joke topic saying 4.0 had been released.

This year on April 1st I didn't see a single one.

Guess they don't really find it funny anymore..
One Armed Against Nine Killers
Bizzare

Postby DeViLmAn » Sat May 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Hmmm ok your saying that all the crap on winmx you can get of other networks faster and it aint corruppted becouse of winmx crashing or something to that effect .Well i never have that problem i never crash i restart my pc once maybe every week or two to update stuff and thats about it.

Well to be truthfull yes i do get all the latest stuff of torrent but thats becouse thats were the release groups are i dont even bother with winmx but thats it. As for the 1MB or 5MB+ it dosnt realy matter unlesss the person your connected to has sdsl you aint gonna get your downloads any faster of torrent or any other network . Can you honestly tell me that your not gonna be happy with at least 3 gigs worth of data for about an hours work a day and be secure in the fact that you know the person who your getting it of and that its good . Dam most of the time people do one of High quality original dvdrips for me becouse they know me.

And as for the torrents mate i know people that actually seed torrents and irc they started of way way back on napsters . As as for the private trackers mate people keep on giving me private tracker websites and invites to them and to be honest they suck arse theyve got nothing hardly id rather go on torrentspy and hide in the crowd.

BTW bizzare how much original stuff do you actualy own i can honestly say i own 100 & 100 of pc & console games 90+ dvds plus 500+ vhs videos.

Now i can honestly say i put alot of stuff out on the networks and i know alot of people that do aswell.

Thats why i was saying people that dont know how to use winmx or there just leaches . Thats my original stuff not includeing the stuff ive downloaded over the years ive got a ton of crap .

And as for the tag thing yeah i were a tag but not to get moves more to just show these are my people. lol theres only about 15 people that are members of the room i co-host so i aint gonna get much of them.
But i can say that i know people all over winmx in different rooms that used to be members with me but the room splitt and weve just gone are own ways .

IVE USED ALL OF THE REST AND FROM ME PERSONALY WINMX IS THE BEST.
DeViLmAn

Postby DeViLmAn » Sat May 07, 2005 5:14 pm

Bizzare wrote:(hi-qual pre-releases from semi-professional uploaders, requiring no upload and therefore comparatively safe to grab).

LMFAO i said people that don't leech only jokeing mate i couldnt help myself.
DeViLmAn

PreviousNext

Return to WinMX