Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Donations for MX Channels???

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Donations for MX Channels???

Postby Bizzare0 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:17 pm

Hey, this is Bizzare.. had to make a new login b/c my hard drive died and i couldnt remember my friggin pass..

anyway..

Just wanted to comment on something i just heard, people asking for server "donations" in their mx channels for auto-starts in moni.. i've heard a lot of excuses ("but there's 60 ppl in the room bla bla bla") but a friend of mine just told me he paid about $9 for a monthly "donation" to get faster starts, and was happy with it..

My question is, does anyone else find this as friggin' appalling as I do and resembling a natural progression of greed from the registration only torrent sites, or is it perfectly acceptable to offer faster starts if someone donates to "server costs"? And is this a trend on MX? Anyone here (of teh few that still use mx heh) getting requests like this?

Keep in mind this is *only* talking about WinMX.. not irc, torrent, dc, etc.. In my opinion if you were going to pay $9 anyway, you could just pay $15 for a newsgroup service and be done w/it..
Bizzare0

Postby Dazzle » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:31 pm

I havent heard of this nor has anyone else I know of, care to name the room involved ?

I for one dont like you inferring that this is only occuring on winmx.
In case you havent noticed lately, sharing on p2p has gone up not down, and winmx is still one of the biggest decentralised p2p networks in use.
What keeps it like that is the community, not cash.
Dazzle

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:18 am

I havent heard of this either. Sounds like a scam to me. IF people are doing this I see jail time in their future! Any payment could be easly traced.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Bizzare0 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:45 am

Dazzle wrote:I for one dont like you inferring that this is only occuring on winmx.
What keeps it like that is the community, not cash.

No kidding..

does anyone else find this as friggin' appalling as I do and resembling a natural progression of greed from the registration only torrent sites

I think I know this Dazzle.

As for the room I'd rather not say, as I'm not a member, nor do I want to bring them anymore attention than they already have.. Just heard about it last night and wanted to see if it was a one-off or a trend.. Doesn't affect me much either way: I don't DL from MX, I use it for chat..
Bizzare0

Postby Dazzle » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:47 pm

Hmm, its just that with the rooms name maybe they can be persuaded of the error of their ways.

I host a chat on winmx Bizzar0, downloading is secondary to that now,and having greedy folks try this stunt is bad for us all :x
Dazzle

Postby SlyckScratch » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:18 pm

In any similar situation, making a financial gain is not clever - if unwanted attention ever occured, things would look very bad. Asking for donations is one thing, I can understand that but as soon as you start directly getting something in return for your money, it then effectively becomes a pay service.

There's a well known site (nothing to do with WinMX) that asks for donations in exchange for a particular benefit. I think they are being very foolish.
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Return to WinMX