Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX useless

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby hexen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:52 pm

zim wrote:
my computer locked itself when I tried to defragment the hard drive and use Ares at the same time.

why in the world would you expect that to work? especially using windows built in defragment.

:lol:

Because it works with all other filesharing programs. I don't use Windows built in defragment-service.
hexen

Postby 666 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:19 pm

Mel_Smiley_VIP wrote:I mostly download ADULT content (...) Do you guys need a screen shot?

YES!!!

And we won't settle for anything less than 1600x1200!!!

Postby e-caps » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:28 pm

Dazzle wrote:E Caps, the "thumbs" file that you are talking about it placed into each file you have any sort of picture in by the operating system, most folks dont see it as they have system files hidden in settings, it is nothing to worry about and is purely to help windows show you little versions of picture inside the folder (Called "thumb nail pics" or "thumbs" for short )

Hey thanks for clearing this up for me Dazzle, it's just when I saw it I was not sure what it was.
But why did it stay on my comp.
all the files where there but it would not start up this was after the un-install.
e-caps

Postby Dazzle » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:19 pm

I grabbed this useful info from a sites FAQ.
The question was what are they and how to turn them off if you wish to.

These files are created by Windows itself. You can turn off this feature by changing your folder view from Thumbnails in My Computer or Windows Explorer.

You may also need to uncheck the "Do not cache thumbnails" option in folder options. There is a bug in WinXP that causes Windows Explorer to sometimes "reset" the folder view to thumbnails when you open a folder.
Also, when you save an image with IE, the "My Pictures" folder is default every time, and it always lists the contents as thumbnails.

Whether or not the thumbs.db file is in the folder or not it will not affect any other file there, so maybe look to something else for the cause or run the system file checker (command prompt , enter sfc/scannow ) that may ferret out any problems.
Dazzle

Postby N04h » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:19 am

regarding WINNY... there still seems to be new betas coming out, even if the original crator is not around.
N04h

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:24 am

hexen wrote:
zim wrote:
my computer locked itself when I tried to defragment the hard drive and use Ares at the same time.

why in the world would you expect that to work? especially using windows built in defragment.

Because it works with all other filesharing programs. I don't use Windows built in defragment-service.

Oh come on now! Someone needs to take your PC away from you! How do you expect to defrag while your downloading more wares!!!??? Do you know what defrag is even doing?

Using your method of defraging is a great way to end up needing a reformat. Anyways, if your using XP you don't need to defrag.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby hexen » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:40 am

Mel_Smiley_VIP wrote:
hexen wrote:
zim wrote:

Oh come on now! Someone needs to take your PC away from you! How do you expect to defrag while your downloading more wares!!!??? Do you know what defrag is even doing?

Using your method of defraging is a great way to end up needing a reformat. Anyways, if your using XP you don't need to defrag.

As I already stated above, I can defrag my hard drive while downloading from other filesharing programs, such as eMule, WinMX, SoulSeek, Bittorrent (Bitcomet), Lopster...
I know what defragmentation is, thank you. The software I use is able to defragment files that are in use, which the ordinary Windows built-in service cannot handle.
I've never needed a reformat and I've used this computer for years. I find it good to use automatic defrag, so I don't have to worry about it manually. This was not the core of this thread, so I find it rather useless to bring it up. It was simply just a minor drawback for me when running Ares. Anyway, sorry to say it works with all other filesharing programs that I use.

Sidenote: I do not run XP.
hexen

Postby Overnet User » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:19 pm

I have to say that those who think that you can't run defrag with a p2p program must be slow. I have been using Diskkeeper Professional with the auto-defrag set and if it wasn't for that program or similar ones that can defrag automatically when applications are running, my pc's hard drive would have crashed by now. When I don't set my pc to autodefrag and I am dl/up alot, my pc crashes because of having to read/write in many allocations on the disk. The files become too spread out and with auto-defrag set, I dont' have to manually defrag and don't really have to worry about it.
Also those who think that if you have XP you don't have to defrag, that must be the dumbest thing I have heard. I am now working on my 3rd pc having an XP O.S. and same as applied before; If I didn't defrag, I'm almost certain my hard drives would have died.
Overnet User

Postby hexen » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:24 pm

Overnet User wrote:I have to say that those who think that you can't run defrag with a p2p program must be slow. I have been using Diskkeeper Professional with the auto-defrag set and if it wasn't for that program or similar ones that can defrag automatically when applications are running, my pc's hard drive would have crashed by now. When I don't set my pc to autodefrag and I am dl/up alot, my pc crashes because of having to read/write in many allocations on the disk. The files become too spread out and with auto-defrag set, I dont' have to manually defrag and don't really have to worry about it.
Also those who think that if you have XP you don't have to defrag, that must be the dumbest thing I have heard. I am now working on my 3rd pc having an XP O.S. and same as applied before; If I didn't defrag, I'm almost certain my hard drives would have died.

I agree with you completely and I also use Diskkeeper Professional.
hexen

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:39 pm

Now days with XP, defrag is not much of an issue, unless your using FAT32 or a tiny cramped up harddrive, Its a waste of time. When XP tells you you don't need to defrag, then you DONT NEED TO DEFRAG!
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby zim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:45 pm

just because you CAN do something. doesnt mean its a good idea or healthy for your files.

running defrag of any sort while you are actively downloading new data is extra pointless at least. and at worst could really fuck up some files.

to each their own tho. its not my computer. :roll:
zim

Postby snake187 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:48 pm

if i decide to share my music library which is about 18 gigs could i get sued on winmx since there might not be any RIAA or MPAA/FBI/CIA
snake187

Postby Dazzle » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:49 pm

I have never defragged an XP NTFS system and its been working continuously 24/7 as a chat room for 2 years now, but as Zim said its your machine.

Hi Snake, hers the deal here, when your on a p2p network you must decide what you want to share,if your worried or not comfortable sharing certain items then dont, as we will not be there to hold your hand in court.

That said, looking at the statistics for those using p2p, against those being sued it does actually come out at about just under a million to one chance anyone would bother with you, more where I,m from :)
(in all the time I have been on winmx I only know of 7 folks prosecuted and many of those used other p2p at the same time )

I share freeware applications along with other items on the network because thats what p2p is about not just copyrighted items as the recording industries claim, this is your choice and its for you alone to decide.
Dazzle

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:23 pm

snake187 wrote:if i decide to share my music library which is about 18 gigs could i get sued on winmx since there might not be any RIAA or MPAA/FBI/CIA

If they can get your IP; then they can track you and try to sue you.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Dazzle » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:59 pm

If they can get your IP; then they can track you and try to sue you.

Try is the word, as due to the primary and secondary set up of winmx they would have to convince the court that the IP address is the genuine one as anyone connecting on secondary goes through a primary and its only the primary IP that appears.

Deniability is great stuff aint it :wink:
Dazzle

Postby Overnet User » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:09 pm

Now days with XP, defrag is not much of an issue, unless your using FAT32 or a tiny cramped up harddrive, Its a waste of time. When XP tells you you don't need to defrag, then you DONT NEED TO DEFRAG!

I have .63 terabytes on my pc so don't give me that fat32 or a tiny cramped up hard drive. I have ntfs and 3 hard drives which are all combined to be .63 terabytes so your point is not correct.
Overnet User

Previous

Return to WinMX