Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX useless

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

WinMX useless

Postby jonnyd » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:47 am

Is WinMX good for anything anymore. Who here still uses it?
jonnyd

Postby Nightmare » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:52 am

Not I!
Its approaching its twilight. The devlopers have abandoned it. But there are still die-hards out there; who have chained themselves to the trees of this dying forest.
I am your greatest Nightmare!
Nightmare

Postby firestorm9377 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:21 am

i still use it. Now that all theleachers have dropped it its good for everything. Just get to know some people
firestorm9377

Postby e-caps » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:01 pm

gnutella4ever wrote:i still use it. Now that all theleachers have dropped it its good for everything. Just get to know some people

I 2nd that, I was sick of the people who only had unfinished file in their trading folders. :roll:
e-caps

Postby raar » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:03 pm

I still have it on the computer, but have been playing around with Limewire the last few days.
Up until then, I've used WinMX and probably will til it completely dies. I'm a die-hard I guess.
Hey, it still works, right?
raar

Postby Allied » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:20 pm

I imagine that most of the files downloaded with WinMX come from other OpenNap clients.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby raar » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:26 pm

Allied wrote:I imagine that most of the files downloaded with WinMX come from other OpenNap clients.

You're right, Allied, I rarely get any wpnp generated searches any longer, mostly opennap results.
raar

Postby yesse420 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:06 pm

I still use WinMX.
yesse420

Postby e-caps » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:23 pm

raar wrote:I still have it on the computer, but have been playing around with Limewire the last few days.
Up until then, I've used WinMX and probably will til it completely dies. I'm a die-hard I guess.

I used limewire once and I had to clean my hard drive just to remove it, never again will I try that program.
e-caps

Postby raar » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:05 pm

e-caps wrote:
raar wrote:I still have it on the computer, but have been playing around with Limewire the last few days.

I used limewire once and I had to clean my hard drive just to remove it, never again will I try that program.

For my own info, why did you want to remove it? What didn't you like about it? Anything I should be aware of? Why was it so hard to remove?
And if you know, what is the "thumbs" file that shows up in the folder and on my desktop?
raar

Postby irish » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:26 pm

Don't knock Limewire. It works, it's easy to install and uninstall with no bits left over to mess up your system. As for WinMx, it never really had a chance especially with todays climate of filesharing software. It works, Yes, but ever so slowly with a queue system in place for even the lowliest of files. Bugger that is what I say. If sharing is what you want to do then share and so be it, none of this queing bs. :roll:
irish

Postby zim » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:31 pm

shit winmx had plenty of chance... the devs never kept up was its problem.. stopped fixin stuff and makin it better.

coulda made it open source and it would still be top5... but nope
zim

Postby Gigabite » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:33 pm

I used to use WinMX, but that was before I found out about LW. Been using LW ever since. No probs! 8)
Reading, Riting, and Rithmetic...I are smart!
Gigabite

Postby firestorm9377 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:33 pm

irish wrote:Don't knock Limewire. It works, it's easy to install and uninstall with no bits left over to mess up your system. As for WinMx, it never really had a chance especially with todays climate of filesharing software. It works, Yes, but ever so slowly with a queue system in place for even the lowliest of files. Bugger that is what I say. If sharing is what you want to do then share and so be it, none of this queing bs. :roll:

Whens the last time you used winmx?
firestorm9377

Postby irish » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:46 pm

Got me on that one :oops: At least 6 months back and I haven't even checked it out since. Shit, I even used Kazaa lite before trying to find the same file on WinMx! I'm a heretic, burn me :twisted:
irish

Postby zim » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:49 pm

since winmx hasnt changed since july 2004... and has only gotten worse..

6 months dont matter
zim

Postby irish » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:51 pm

Too true zim, too true
irish

Postby raar » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:53 pm

I just wanted some info on Limewire, from the person who quoted me, stating info they haven't elaborated on, by answering my questions. Maybe they will respond tomorrow.

I don't knock either, I still use WinMX and have been trying out Limewire, for the future of WinMX is uncertain. I have to have something to fall back on.
raar

Postby irish » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:55 pm

Stick with LW. It does as it says, you get what you want and there's no queue
irish

Postby raar » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:12 pm

irish wrote:Stick with LW. It does as it says, you get what you want and there's no queue

Actually, I have had good experience with the program. The speed is incredible and have found everything I was looking for. Although I find that most of the uploads are very slow. I just figure they are downloading 20 songs at once.

There are a few things I miss that WinMX had, but overall not to many complaints.
raar

Postby Dazzle » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:31 pm

It seems someone cant count still, same old mantra but never reads the winmx.com site..

since winmx hasnt changed since july 2004... and has only gotten worse..
6 months dont matter

The last release was on the 13 december would you like the link or are you able to find your own way there this time ? :roll:

Limewire is the next best client for those who are fed up of the flooding on winmx, but dont expect a quiet life there either, the Cartel will strike when they think they can do the most damage, and limewire users are already being sued while winmx users are sitting comfortably so guess what.. I,m in no rush to leave..lol

Besides the flooding on winmx I dont see any problems with the client at all it works well and does as it claims, there is a queing sytem and whats wrong with that, if there are enough sources there wont be a que will there, this is chicken and egg stuff.

For those who want to tweak the queing system two download managers are available that work with winmx (leechammer and the famous mxmoni), those will both allow you to block leeches and reward big sharers.

And for those who seem not to know the winmx developement team was only one guy as far as I am aware, I expect he has other matters in mind that wont land him in prison for the next 50 years, the way certain countries paid politicians would like to happen..lol

If we get something from winmx.com, good, if not its just hard cheese, we havent paid a penny and I for one wont ask someone to risk their lifestyle to suit me.

For those still using winmx as primaries please use PeerGuardian 2, otherwise they will be using your bandwidth to do the flooding :!:
Dazzle

Postby firestorm9377 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:24 am

irish wrote:Got me on that one :oops: At least 6 months back and I haven't even checked it out since. Shit, I even used Kazaa lite before trying to find the same file on WinMx! I'm a heretic, burn me :twisted:

yeah six months ago it was bs, but now there's less leaches and more people sharing. You should try it now, then see how it compares To lw (i use that too)
firestorm9377

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:44 am

I still use it with outstanding results. Its true that I mostly download ADULT content and also sometimes trade on a private open nap server. I'm still getting over 20 gigs a week of adult material off the WPN (Ive got over 30 this week). These movies can't be found on any other P2P network. I also get some good new movies from time to time. Do you guys need a screen shot?
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:22 am

:lol: :lol:

I imagine that most of the files downloaded with WinMX come from other OpenNap clients.

So why bother with WinMx at all? Why not just another client?

I think WinMX is not useless just that is sux. But I would take that over FastTrack any day.
Dying? Yes; the well is drying up and the vermim are the first to leave.
Leechers gone? Great this should extend its life somewhat.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:36 am

Its amazing how people who have no idea what they are talkng about just have to make a comment. Winmx is showing no signs of dying or fading out. It doesn't need an update either, it just needs idiots to shut their mouths about things they have no clue about. Show some kinda facts that its dying, I can show you were I'm downloading movies at a constant rate, between 100B/s and 250B/s for days at a time. True that it takes about half a day to get up to speed but once it gets going it doesn't stop. Running 24/7 is key.

Next you guys will say all P2P is dying except for (your favorite client here).
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Next

Return to WinMX