Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX to XxXxXx network?

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Which network is most likely to get your business?

Ares
9%
BitTorrent (Exclusively)
17%
eMule/eDonkey
26%
Gnutella
13%
FastCrap....errrr.. Fasttrack
No votes
None, I'll be using a pay for download service (iTunes type)
No votes
Other (Please Specify)
4%
I'll use WinMX till I'm the only user left!!!
30%

Total votes : 23

WinMX to XxXxXx network?

Postby Widdle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:42 pm

I am an avid WinMX user and supporter. Nothing would please me more (ok, alot of things could please me more) than to see WinMX development pick up. Unfortunately this isn't very likely.

So here's the question:
For avid WinMX users, how long till you switch networks, and what is most likely to get you?

I'll vote first for Ares. I have just begun using it and have found that it is (of course) faster and more modern. I also chose Ares as my likely MX successor becuase it has almost exactly identical community features as MX (Chat, Favorites, Private Message, Browse) and a few new ones (Grant user DL slot, etc.....).

OK now MX'ers. Let's hear what you think.

P.S. This thread is for comments with worth, not WinMX bashing.
Last edited by Widdle on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Widdle

Re: WinMX to XxXxXx network?

Postby Nightmare » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:45 pm

Widdle wrote:P.S. To King or any other idiots, this forum is for comments with worth, not WinMX bashing.

To the person above; this forum is not for name calling either!
I am your greatest Nightmare!
Nightmare

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:47 pm

When I stopped using WinMx sometime last year, Gnutella got my support, Limewire in particular.
WitchHunterRobin

Re: WinMX to XxXxXx network?

Postby Widdle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:47 pm

Nightmare wrote:
Widdle wrote:P.S. To King or any other idiots, this forum is for comments with worth, not WinMX bashing.

To the person above; this forum is not for name calling either!

My apologies, that guy just is aggrevating cause he's just a developer that relentlessly bashes anything besides his product. It's annoying.
Widdle

Postby Nightmare » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:51 pm

I used WinMX at the same time as KaZaA :oops:
Then left both for eMule, after that ... the rest is another story.
I am your greatest Nightmare!
Nightmare

Postby zim » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:53 pm

i hate winmx too... and dont care if you use my p2p... lol

its obsolete. accept it already.
zim

Postby Dazzle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:18 am

Hi Widdle, as a self confessed user and chat room host on winmx, I must tell you flat out that only the peer caches toppling would force me to shift :lol:

I have tested many of the other p2p apps as I used to write reviews for a forum, many have good points and many have spyware on the down side, and some are downright unworkable, but when folks tell me they cant get winmx to work and I have exausted all options, I have no hesitation in directing them to Limewire, for 4 very important reasons.

1) Its still being rapidly developed and as such is able to work on anti flooding solutions

2) Its open source, so if you wish to add or remove a feature or design a plugin its not an imposibility.

3) Its not packed with spyware

4) Its decentralised nature is one of the main traits of a network I look for as dependency on a central hub or server is not really comforting in these days of server seizing.

The only small refinements I would suggest is more emphasis on IP obscuring and maybe the addition of some form of end to end encryption, to avoid ISP packet sniffing techniques.
Dazzle

Postby Widdle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:12 am

Dazzle,
Seeing as you are a major community supporter in WinMX. I wonder why Ares didn't get support from you. The network is faster and more modern than MX and it contains the exact same community features. You could transport your entire room membership to that program in less than a day and things would run fine. I think the Ares network has the potential to be just as community driven and large as WinMX. Think we could get a few of the big rooms to do a switch?
Widdle

Postby zim » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:28 am

some people just cant accept when their fav stuff is dead..

which is why there are STILL people using c64's :lol:
zim

Postby Widdle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:34 am

zim wrote:some people just cant accept when their fav stuff is dead..

which is why there are STILL people using c64's :lol:

C'mon Zim. You are not an MX user. Everyone knows what you think. Post in topics that you can provide intelligent insight to.

Widdle

Postby coleisgone » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:55 am

I used to be an top WinMx supporter, used it for a year, even used to run a channel on it, but when i discovered that i can download something on BitTorrent in one hour what it took me about a week on WinMx well that killed it for me.

The Queuing system is whats killing WinMx as a P2P program although it still has an excellent chat facility, and although i am no longer a user i would still like to see it continuing.

If frontline no longer have the will then maybe someone else should take over and start updating it regularly. Maybe it's time to push to have WinMx made open source???
coleisgone

Postby Widdle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:57 am

It's already been suggested, but the answer is always the same................

NOTHING........ :(
Widdle

Postby coleisgone » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:04 am

The last i heard which was about 6 months back was that it was being developed to offer legal downloads along the Napster vain - probably just gossip though
coleisgone

Postby Widdle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:07 am

coleisgone wrote:The last i heard which was about 6 months back was that it was being developed to offer legal downloads along the Napster vain - probably just gossip though

Yep
Widdle

Postby sonic1974 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:18 pm

Errm OK i still currently help host a room and get certain smaller items from mx :)

But i use BT for most of my major downloads :twisted: , I will say however, that winmx does need a major overhaul to fix a load of bugs "Which aint gonna happen!!"

but i enjoy the chat from folks i have been introduced to on the chat side!! and as yet have not found any simular else where, i tried excursion but i find the commands a little hard :?

But i'll stick to winmx till my room either dies or my pc blows up!
You say your how old????
sonic1974

Postby Widdle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:22 pm

and as yet have not found any simular else where

Ares has an almost identical chat feature. Complete with file-browsing and an updated GUI.
Widdle

Postby Dazzle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:30 pm

Widdle, I did look into Ares and was put off by the spyware that came loaded with it at the time, although a look on vladds at many of the earliest Ares add ons posted, will show you it hasnt flown under my radar.

To be honest its not a fully mature system yet, there are many items of the network that could be improved specifically the way the users get connected to the network and resistance to flooding, also if you have ever seen the protocol, then you would be worried. :o

A quick google for "kevin frontcode" will show you a few programs he has released that are encryption related, and that for me is a good sign, as many of the winmx features are utilising this, from the protocol to the library/settings files.
all of that gives me confidence that I dont feel when using many other system clients.
Dazzle

Return to WinMX