Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Do you really think WinMX 3.55 will be ever released?

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Poll ended at Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:24 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes : 25

Postby king » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:24 am

WinMX 3.54 is still beta since 1 year and it's a simple update to the chat and shared files.
king

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:26 am

Not likely anymore.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Assyrian » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:03 am

great another winmx thread, this is getting as lame as gregario and his limeshit crap.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby klick » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:34 am

Assyrian wrote:great another winmx thread

yeah its not like this is the winmx forum or anything
klick

Postby Widdle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:10 am

I recently decided to begin experimenting with other apps as I am becoming convinced WinMX will not survive forever. :( Ares is a good alternative as it has most of the features that MX users love so much. I have found the lack of advanced features annoying. Such as no options for primary node or leaf connection and no tab to even tell you what port to open.
Widdle

Postby Nightmare » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:11 am

World peace will probably come first!
Quit dreaming ...
The developers have forgot about you!
I am your greatest Nightmare!
Nightmare

Postby Dazzle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:18 pm

If you guys dont want to use it fine, theres plenty of other apps that have similar features,
that said I notice that this thread is posted by King the mule/donkey troll, so its just another of his attacks on winmx, go away you parasite.

Would those that can read please go to

http://www.winmx.com/beta/beta354.html

and see for yourselves that the last beta was not a year ago, lend him an abacus someone.
Dazzle

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:36 pm

Dazzle wrote:and see for yourselves that the last beta was not a year ago...

So it hasn't been a year yet, big deal. It probably will be a year, or even 2 years, for 3.55 to come out, if it ever does.

Dazzle wrote:...lend him an abacus someone.

Lend him a brain, someone. It was almost 2 years between 3.31 and 3.53, so why can't they be just as indulent this time around?

I used to use it religiously, but even I came to realize it's abandonware.
WitchHunterRobin

Postby Dazzle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:06 pm

Hi Robin, beside the recording industry flooding I dont actually see anything on the software that needs updating, but as we seem to live in a world of folks who live and breath between new releases and updates, what can be expected.

I challenge anyone here to show me third party software that equates in any way the amount available for winmx, at the last count there was 1400 individual items available, I havent seen anything like this for any of the other clients , unless you know better of course..
Dazzle

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:22 pm

beside the recording industry flooding I dont actually see anything on the software that needs updating...

Well, for one thing the searches are far from exhaustive, something acknowledged on the site, from a "future" release (3.55):

"This version includes a very important upgrade to the core WPNP primary connection protocol, and several key upgrades in the Search and Browse windows. With the protocol upgrade it is hoped search coverage will be near-100%, which will translate into vastly-improved search results, especially for rare files."

The developer/developers even realize the search horizon is limited. That's the reason why I stopped using it. My taste in music shifted fom mainstream music to rare indie stuff quickly, which made WinMX unsuitable. I'm not demanding any program be perfect, just to have a stable release schedule designed around user preferences.
WitchHunterRobin

Postby Nightmare » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:38 pm

Dazzle wrote:I challenge anyone here to show me third party software that equates in any way the amount available for winmx, at the last count there was 1400 individual items available, I havent seen anything like this for any of the other clients , unless you know better of course..

I challenge you to find an active client whose needs for third party intervention; equates in any way to the amount of third party support that WinMX requires to keep people like you ticking!
Nightmare

Postby kevogod » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:16 pm

WinMX is Dead, Long Live WinMX!
kevogod

Postby Widdle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:08 pm

kevogod wrote:WinMX is Dead, Long Live WinMX!

You are a confusing son-of-a-gun kev.
Widdle

Postby zim » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:57 pm

no.

and i dont care. winmx was never that good anyways. land of the fucking queue. and less files than emule/edonkey/overnet.
zim

Postby Assyrian » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:24 pm

zim wrote:no.

and i dont care. winmx was never that good anyways. land of the fucking queue. and less files than emule/edonkey/overnet.

i dont think anything has queues as much as ed2k
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby Nightmare » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:10 pm

kevogod wrote:WinMX is Dead, Long Live WinMX!

Long live the dead? :lol:
Nightmare

Postby ccc1005 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:25 pm

i dont think anything has queues as much as ed2k

Ya but at least they have the content to make it worthwhile...
ccc1005

Postby Dazzle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:02 am

Interesting and fair comment Robin, but having had a good look at how winmx works in fairly fine detail, I dont need kevins words meant for joe public, tossed at me as if thats the be all and end all of the matter.

The fine line between online content which gives a greater risk of IP exposure is offset in winmx by the use of the primaries master list of files gathered from secondaries, so although not live as such, is a decent half way measure that has been doing well in avoiding the many suits we are seeing on other clients, of course we are all free to place our heads in a noose, but the system seems to work fine and I just find the detractors on this forum to be either heavily into there own systems (and there are many), or just knocking winmx because it doesnt have a nicely paid developer unlike some, would any of you work for next to nothing as well as be worried about who might turn nasty in the courts ?

In reply to night mare who seems to have some knowledge about me from somewhere .. :roll:

I would have thought it was common sense that a p2p app that can generate so much interest from programming folk is a good sign of user interest, maybe you think different and like all your software dished up on a plate and have no interest in how it works.

No one here is forced to use it and if you dont like it fine, diversity is good for us all.
Dazzle

Postby Nightmare » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:04 am

Dazzle wrote:
In reply to night mare who seems to have some knowledge about me from somewhere .. :roll:

I would have thought it was common sense that a p2p app that can generate so much interest from programming folk is a good sign of user interest, maybe you think different and like all your software dished up on a plate and have no interest in how it works.

User intrest? I just thought it was desperation! No I don't like to have my software dished on a plate, I'm not the one using a fried network!
Nightmare

Postby hexen » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:09 am

I find these comments hilarious. Most of you seem to think that updates on software make the network. "As long as we have a software that changes in version number every once a week, this network is good and I have reason to use it".

Dazzle pointed out the essential core of why this not apply to everybody: WinMX works. That's right, you can actually search for a song, have the luck to download it and message the user that you would like one more. We all have different demands on how a network should be. Some like the anonymous types, some like to chat with a lot of people and gain knowledge, others ignore any incoming messages. We have a vast selection of networks to choose from, so why not take advantage of that, instead of wishing "death" to a network that has been here for years and still work!
Remember this: EVERY death of a P2P-network means fewer alternatives and an indirect profit for the R*AA. Sure, some networks are damaged greatly by leechers, hackers and anti-P2P-organisations. FastTrack is a given example. But does this mean that we want it to die? Not really, we'll just move on if we find the network useless. The fact is that most people today seem to prefer mainstream culture and FastTrack or a similar popular network can provide you with this, fake file or not.

Why spend energy on "bashing" a client and network that work totally fine. I use WinMX all the time and find rare neoclassical material. I am able to exchange abstract ideas with other users and the client has never crashed one single time. The hashing of files with beta 4 is faster than for example Ares Lite (at my computer it is). WinMX can be configured much and is great for creating a closed or open community, enabling trades and what not.
I use it and it works. No reason to nag, why not become productive instead? Use the forums to fight against the bureaucratic methods that try to kill ancient culture and replace it with monotone American capitalist pop music that is used to generate money and kill rain forest. If filesharers work AGAINST eachother, they have won. They will not only succeed in shoving down dog pile in your mouths that will leave you unsatisfied without meaning, but music and culture will soon be something of the past. They don't care what music means to people, they only see big $-signs flashing. Yes this is obviously a rant, but it's far more useful than half the stuff you use to socialize on "the Lounge". May culture and the preservation of it never die.

/Hexen, proud member of WinMX network
(also using ED2K, BT and Open Nap)
hexen

Postby Widdle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:08 am

hexen wrote:Use the forums to fight against the bureaucratic methods that try to kill ancient culture and replace it with monotone American capitalist pop music that is used to generate money and kill rain forest.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HAHAHAHA! That is one of the funniest things I have read on here in at least a week. And that's saying something :P
Widdle

Postby Godzillaland » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:31 am

I've used winmx since it first came out. I will keep using it till I can't actually find anything on it.

It would be nice if the creator would at least make a quick post about whats going on every now and then, or heck even sent off a quick e-mail to Slyck so that it could be posted here.

Just a quick e-mail once every 3 or 4 months with a "ya we're still alive and real life is still kicking us in the butt so don't expect anything for a while" or a "oh we're coming along quite well and are bypassing the rest of the 3.XX series and jumping to 4 with in a few months" or heck even a "we're alive, leave us alone" would be better then nothing.
Godzillaland

Postby -KM- » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:22 pm

a simple question to all those that think that winmx is dead:

do you consider cars to be obsolete and dead? they are old, but they are still the most popular form of transport, so i guess you do - you do after all consider the most popular p2p network to be dead just because it hasn't been "improved" to the point of being a pile of...

there is such a thing as over-improving, yes there are a few technical details that could use a little work, but its fine the way it is, and as the most popular p2p client out there it cant be quite as dead as you seem to think!
-KM-

Postby Allied » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:39 pm

-KM- wrote:a simple question to all those that think that winmx is dead:

do you consider cars to be obsolete and dead?

If you could get a brand new car for free, would you keep the other one running?
Get a Ferrari
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby no_dammagE » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:23 pm

No *SCNR* :lol:

Yes, I do believe that it will never be updated seriously again... To be honest: watch at the list of (major) clients being updated frequently or are up-to-date. The majority is open source. Actually, except BitComet and eDonkey and Ares all others are open. And those three perform, are important jokers in the p2p world, too.

BearShare? Updated frequently, but rather not so widely used. Sorry, maybe I'm wrong. Come and kick my butt if I'm wrong

Azureus, LimeWire, BitTorrent, Freenet, Ants, (those 2 are important on their research), DC++, Shareaza (I mean the beta stage now), giFT-frontends.

Dead list? It is long.
Let's begin with Napster (whereby it wasn't its fault), go past by FastTrack (VIVA GROKSTER, I LOVE YOU :lol: ), throw a view onto WinMX and drive away past MP2P.

With P2P you can't do such money in US anymore. And no one of those works for no money anymore. What comes-that comes, but not more.

Well, I forgot Morpheus. Think of it what you want. The only business clown we currently have is TrustyFiles. :twisted:
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Next

Return to WinMX