39%
I want the origional dev's back.
17%
I want a whole new team of dev's.
43%

Total votes : 23

What do you want for WinMX?

Postby Allied » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:36 pm

No news is good news... whoever said that is wrong. At least in WinMX's case.

The latest version is a year old. Leaving "is winmx dead" threads as the only source of news.

What do you want for WinMX?

A open source WinMX would certainly lead to scam clients.
A new team of dev's would allow more progress to be made, but there's no way of knowing where they'd take the program.
The origional dev's may be working on it as I type this, but there's no sign of it.
Letting it die would mean one less p2p client out there.

In case anyone feels strongly about any of these options. accorging to Who Is, the admins email address is domain@winmx.com

In 3 months(or on october 3rd) the name WinMX.com expires. It'll either be renewed by someone in volved with WinMX. Or it'll die, for about a minute. Then a scam site will buy the name.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby serrebi101 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:48 pm

I love winmx new devs would probably help a lot or open sourcing it...
serrebi101

Postby Dazzle » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:23 am

I agree with you folks in general, if its not going to be open sourced then at least let us know that there is still some programmer interested in its developement.

I often feel the need to remind folks that the last release was a while back but the last beta came out in december so its not as long as is being alluded to.

As for improvements there is only one main one that will have any real effect and gain more of the market share back ,and thats to add some routines to the protocol to rid the network of flooding attacks that Globix and Co carry out.
What would also be a good addition is a more secure hash system used, as proprietory systems are untested water and liable to sudden suprise attacks, that allow file corruption (poisoning) to occur.
If these items where taken care of the client would be returned to the normal status quo, and folks could enjoy the network and chat rooms as they did previously.

This is actually one of the most popular third party supported clients, I,m sure that many of the programmers of those items would be more than happy to continue the WPNS/WinMx developement if given the chance, and it wouldnt be the first open source item out there by any means.

The fly in the ointment ? The peer caches, those have to be paid for and that may be one of the reasons we are not seeing any moves towards open sourcing.

Well thats my 5 cents worth ... ok a dollars worth :lol:
Dazzle

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:46 am

Allied you've forgot the "who cares" option! If developers want to work on WinMx; why don't they brainstorm and create their own network!
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby tomy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:56 am

Voted for want it to die, but surely what it needs is the possibility to share partial downloads, thats a must have feature for a network. BT or ed2k 4 xample
tomy

Postby hexen » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:58 am

I want a new team to start on the client. It seems like Frontcode is busy with other things, or at least this is what people use as an excuse when some ask why it takes so long for the new beta. This is why a new fresh team could give us more updates regularly, giving hope to new users. Me, I do not ultimately care. I've been using this network/client for years now, and it has proved to be one of the hardcore clients to trust out there.
It needs a fanboy to worship it, but a fool to put it completely down to zero.
Use it or not, updates are welcome.
That's my one dollar and I intend to keep it and share it on WinMX...
hexen

Postby Assyrian » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:10 am

i also voted for want it to die, once its dead, let all the users change p2p network.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby hexen » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:25 am

Assyrian wrote:i also voted for want it to die, once its dead, let all the users change p2p network.

Why does it have to "die" in order for the users to change network? Why must it "die" at all? As long as there is a community and files to download/upload, there is no reason to want it "dead".
hexen

Postby raar » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:28 am

I chose new developers. But old, new doesn't matter. It's worth the rework in any event. I use it. If it dies, then I'll be beckoning all of you for a new client to use. Until then, it works, that's all that matters.
raar

Postby Dazzle » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:51 pm

All those who are in a rush for winmx to "die", should take the hint themselves :twisted:

Its been around a lot longer than many of the newer "non community" style systems, if you want to trade files then use what you wish but if you like chats rooms and communities then choose a network that supports it, Ares Filetopia Winmx etc

Allowing the Cartel to herd us like sheep onto a few networks, makes it so much easier for them to strike at us, and making their monopoly a permanent fixture over the creative arts is not on my agenda.
Dazzle

Postby TDO » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:57 pm

I want it to die, but it's more of a phylosophical question then anything, can the undead die? Since they aren't really alive, and aren't really dead, can they "die"? :).
TDO

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:28 pm

TDO wrote:I want it to die, but it's more of a phylosophical question then anything, can the undead die? Since they aren't really alive, and aren't really dead, can they "die"? :).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You didn't see "Resident evil", "Dracula" or any other horror/vampire/zombie movie did you? Don't forget "the Mummy"; death is only the beginning.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:02 pm

I haven't used the network in ages, but would be interested in using it again if the program/network had some new devs reviving it.
WitchHunterRobin

Postby TDO » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Psycho, that's what I meant, WinMX started it's "life" already being "undead" :) - it was a zombie right form the start, hence the philosophical question - can the "dead/undead" really die? :), since, were they really "alive"? :).
TDO

Postby Assyrian » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:51 pm

hexen wrote:
Assyrian wrote:i also voted for want it to die, once its dead, let all the users change p2p network.

Why does it have to "die" in order for the users to change network? Why must it "die" at all? As long as there is a community and files to download/upload, there is no reason to want it "dead".

gee ive never seen a person so obsessed over " ". let it die, and it will die, we all know that. "okay" ?
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby Dazzle » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:37 am

I,m glad I come here every year to read the folks saying winmx is dead/dying :lol:

Sorry folks but its still kicking and very busy, no on is being forced to use it, but those who do know its worth the effort.
Dazzle

Postby king » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:23 am

WinMX is just dead of fact because it's not updated since 2 years, only a small update to the chat and library; it's an insufficient update.
Each other programs like bearshare, gnutella, dc++ is updated monthly but WinMX is unupdated since years! P2p programs like edonkey/eMule/torrent have widely surpassed WinMX
WinMX R.I.P. :lol:
king

Postby Widdle » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:41 am

king wrote:WinMX is just dead of fact because it's not updated since 2 years, only a small update to the chat and library; it's an insufficient update.
Each other programs like bearshare, gnutella, dc++ is updated monthly but WinMX is unupdated since years! P2p programs like edonkey/eMule/torrent have widely surpassed WinMX
WinMX R.I.P. :lol:

Hey you little WinMX bashing troll. You always say the same thing, you should just write a post and save it so you can past it in every WinMX thread that is started on here. If you like other programs better, good for you, and I hope they perform marvelously, but this thread is about WinMX, not about your favorite proggy. Stupid Fanboy!
Widdle

Postby Dazzle » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:48 am

King, read this and understand once and for all why many of us are not interested in the "get sued Gnutella network"

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=869

These four were using Kazaa, LimeWire and BearShare to share and distribute movies.

I think court figures will more than prove which networks are the best to get sued on..lol

Ask yourself a question how many winmx users get shut down by depending on a tracker or file listing server ? :lol:
Dazzle

Return to WinMX