Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

winmx bandwidth throttle for dsl

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

winmx bandwidth throttle for dsl

Postby lazy_sod » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:43 am

well,finally im getting dsl after many years of misery of 56k connection.my question is:i use winmx,and was wanting to know which bandwidth throttle settings i should use on winmx.i don't know if i should just use the default settings or not,not ever having dsl before.any help appreciated,thanks
lazy_sod

Postby Dazzle » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:42 am

Try this automatic page I found Lazy :)

http://www.winmxworld.com/scripts/bandwidth/

Remember to have only winmx running as you do the test to get accurate results.
Dazzle

Postby sumfuka » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:02 pm

Nice idea, though it doesn't seem to work well for my own connection in the U.K. (I'm not sure where the website is located - too lazy to check). After doing a few tests it indicated that I should set the WinMX outgoing bandwidth limiter to;

6000 Bps;
2000 Bps;
6000 Bps;
5000 Bps,

although an alternative U.K. based speed test (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp) gave the following results;

Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KBs or 30500 Bps)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KBs or 30400 Bps)

I realise that an amount should be deducted from the ADSLGuide '30,000' figures though that should only drop the value to around 25,000 or so.
sumfuka

Postby Dazzle » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:43 pm

Thats not good, I,ll speak to the webmaster there, I,m sure he can tweak it a little (crosses fingers).

When I saw the page I was running all sorts of items like IM,IE etc etc so I thought it must have been that, hopefully he can remedy the error.
Dazzle

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:23 pm

There is no preset upstream limit setting for winmx, you MUST set it yourself or your results will be poor. Do a speed test to find your upload cap and then back off about 5K/s.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Dazzle » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:47 am

I had a word with the webmaster at the winmxworld site, and I seem to have made a small error, you need to have all internet items turned off (including winmx), for the test to be more accurate, so sorry for that :oops:

He also mentioned to me that the test is geared towards giving a slightly lower result so as to leave the user a little in reserve, which I think is probably a good idea.
Dazzle

Postby sumfuka » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:44 pm

Dazzle wrote:I had a word with the webmaster at the winmxworld site, and I seem to have made a small error, you need to have all internet items turned off (including winmx), for the test to be more accurate, so sorry for that :oops:

Thanks, Dazzle, though at the time I didn't have any bandwidth-consuming applications running. This was the first thing I checked. ;) I also ran the ADSLGuide bandwidth tests immediately after the WinMXWorld test to be sure.

I ran those tests at what is probably one of the busiest times online, around 21:00 Sunday evening, so suppose this could have been a factor... overloaded routes or something, I don't know, I didn't test. Anyway I just ran the test again now (04:30 Wednesday morning ;)) and it looks to be running fine. I was quite impressed actually as it determined a good value to be 26,000 which I would definately agree with. Nice.
sumfuka

Return to WinMX