Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

People that dont share

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

People that dont share

Postby Camelman » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:05 am

I don't know about anybody else but nothing annoys me more than people who wont share files and just leech all the time. Surely it's about time a feature was built into WinMX that stops leeching. WinMX needs some setting where you can choose how many files the other person must have to download from you. I sat here today and had some 300 files leeched off me and I am sick of it, I make my files available and if nobody else shared WinMX would be useless. Anybody got any thoughts on the matter.
Camelman

Postby Widdle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:12 am

http://www.vladd44.com/mx/leeches.php

Tool has been available for a long time. Leech hammer will ignore anyone that isn't sharing your specified number of files. Bwahahaha.
Widdle

Postby Camelman » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:16 am

Hey Widdle, thanks very much.
Camelman

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:22 am

With all the problems associated with sharing (law suits, etc) I can honestly sympathise with those who are afraid to do so.

From a personal point of view, I have to say I hate leechers with a passion.

I think if only a little more effort was made by developers to cloak or anonymise the identity of uploaders, perhaps we would have a few more sharers.
Nick

Postby Widdle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:26 am

Hey Widdle, thanks very much.

No problem Camel! Glad to help someone from the MX community.
Widdle

Postby SlyckScratch » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:29 pm

rocketman05 wrote:With all the problems associated with sharing (law suits, etc) I can honestly sympathise with those who are afraid to do so.

Trouble is, no uploading means that downloading ends by default. Kazaa to start suffering first then?
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby Widdle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:34 pm

With all the problems associated with sharing (law suits, etc) I can honestly sympathise with those who are afraid to do so.

I think that if you are scared of getting caught, you shouldn't be cool with others getting caught. Everyone should accept or reject the risks. Not be wishy washy.
Widdle

Postby carcassfan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:36 pm

when you begin downloading you start uploading too (with BT anyway). Hence users dont have the choice whether they want to upload or not. My philosophy is that you might as well seed the file after your done. As soon as you start a download your guilty in the eyes of the law...so why not give a little extra? Isn't it kinda like robbing a bank and only taking half of the money thats there? Your guilty anyway, go for it!
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Postby TDO » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:36 pm

Sharing is overrated :).

How much are people with, oooh, let's say 40gb bandwith expected to share? Given that those people need ~100gb per month to be contempt.

Please don't tell me 50:50... that leaves such poor people with only 20gb, while they need 100gb to be happy.

Untill service of internet isn't equal you can't really expect equal uploading.
TDO

Postby Widdle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:39 pm

Please don't tell me 50:50... that leaves such poor people with only 20gb, while they need 100gb to be happy.

I don't believe in 50:50. Share what you have with the BW you have. The only way I get mad is if you are taking my BW and I browse you and see that you are sharing Zero files. That is not cool.
Widdle

Postby carcassfan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:49 pm

Sharing is overrated

tell that to the peers you leech your files from :lol:

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
carcassfan

Postby TDO » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:50 pm

"Share what you have with the BW you have."

"The only way I get mad is if you are taking my BW and I browse you and see that you are sharing Zero files."

Let's do some math here...

Let's say person T had 40gb per month of bandwith, he is not happy with it, yet - that's what life gives him(life being ISP).

To be happy, person T needs ~100gb per month, well, I suppose person T would be happier with 200-300gb per month - but let's not anger god by asking for too much.

So, if person T has 40gb, yet he needs 100gb - how much sharing do you think person T will want to do? Well, according to math 40-100= -60.

So, person T is in debt, he simply does not have the resources to share... Well, he does - but since when does doing good to others(morally) supposed to come on your expanse? :) - person T though to himself... :).

"tell that to the peers you leech your files from"

Now now, why would I want to be doing that? :).
TDO

Postby carcassfan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:01 pm

Now now, why would I want to be doing that?

because your an honest and moral person who wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise? haha, I know j/k :lol:

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
carcassfan

Postby TDO » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:11 pm

"because your an honest and moral person who wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise? haha, I know j/k"

I *think* that I consider myself both moral and honest, though, I suppose my "morals" and my "honesty" are a bit different :).
TDO

Postby Widdle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:13 pm

I am in the US and not very familiar with pay for BW per month accounts. Mine is a certain speed with unlimited traffic. What countries use that scheme? I don't like it.
Widdle

Postby carcassfan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 pm

I agree widdle...I just commented on this in another thread: http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12140

Is the pay-for-bandwidth the only option you have in your area? Thats got to be really annnoying, especially if you run out before the month is over. I definitely see your issues with sharing now. Although, I think most users do not share the same situation...I may be wrong. Well lets just ask the question: Who has monthly limitations from their ISP???

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
carcassfan

Postby TDO » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:29 pm

I answered in that other thread, since in this thread we're just discussing a hypothetical person T :).

"What countries use that scheme? I don't like it."

If the hypothetical person T would exist, I'm pretty sure he'd be pissed off as well :).
TDO

Postby Widdle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:43 pm

If the hypothetical person T would exist, I'm pretty sure he'd be pissed off as well Smile.

Poor person T :(
Widdle

Postby notbob » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:59 pm

SlyckScratch wrote:
rocketman05 wrote:With all the problems associated with sharing (law suits, etc) I can honestly sympathise with those who are afraid to do so.

Trouble is, no uploading means that downloading ends by default. Kazaa to start suffering first then?

in case you didn't notice, kazaa has been suffering for ages
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby Camelman » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:40 pm

Well after running LeecHammer for 8 hours its interesting to see the results, out of the 245 people that attempted to download from me only 34 had file to share. If this trend continues MX would be a waist of time as eventually nobody would share. I have unlimited BW and some may say its selfish of me not to share then but a lot of time goes into this and I see no reason why I should share with those that don't. Even if your poor and dont have a lot of BW you could still share a few files it wont hurt, even if they files that are not very popular it is still a good gesture. :D
Camelman

Postby SlyckScratch » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:47 pm

notbob wrote:in case you didn't notice, kazaa has been suffering for ages

I meant to type 'suffocating'..
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby webSeeker10 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:15 am

This problem of no sharing exists because WinMX is a really poor client.
It should be totally unexistant if somebody who has a file needed in my transfer list (to DL) could have a priority in the list, and somebody who have not has no priority.

So, somebody who has no files to share knows that he will be in the tail of the Q, and if he has something to share, he can hope to go in the head...

But WinMX is very poor, every body knows, and so there is at least 50% of people who share nothing... :roll: :roll:
webSeeker10

Postby Widdle » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:24 am

But WinMX is very poor, every body knows, and so there is at least 50% of people who share nothing...

No WinMX bashing here. :x It's a great client, but if you aren't willing to be involved in a community, you will get better results elswhere.
Widdle

Postby notbob » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:21 am

Widdle wrote:
But WinMX is very poor, every body knows, and so there is at least 50% of people who share nothing...

No WinMX bashing here. :x It's a great client, but if you aren't willing to be involved in a community, you will get better results elswhere.

well if you want to be in a "community" of die hard luddites that use 1998's finest technology, a technology that requires you to babysit your connection or install special tools in order to prevent the sharing of files, winmx is perfect for you

or you could use a program that works, with nice people

it's your choice
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby Widdle » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:31 am

well if you want to be in a "community" of die hard luddites that use 1998's finest technology, a technology that requires you to babysit your connection or install special tools in order to prevent the sharing of files, winmx is perfect for you

or you could use a program that works, with nice people

it's your choice

That's not very nice. I don't think that the "WinMX" forum is for bashing :evil:
Widdle

Next

Return to WinMX