Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

HAckers here too

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

HAckers here too

Postby sonic1974 » Tue May 03, 2005 12:55 pm

does anyone know of or heard of any hacking attempts to winmx chat rooms?? any news or help plz !! :)
sonic1974

Postby Dazzle » Thu May 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Hi Sonic , yes I have heard rumours about a few items doing the rounds but no specifics to back the rumour, so I,ll sit on those for a while, until I can gather some quality intel.
As regards some of the other tricks that are occuring theres 4 current ones that are perpetrated by the cartel

1) Rapid search replies to flood out your primary connection and knock your connection off line (dos attack).

2) The automatic que entry flooding technique, similar to above but once they got a bite they dynamically generate more results of the same hash causing a collapse as above.

3) The sharing of viruses that has been traced to an Italian web company, (I have seen the screen shots to back this )

4) The flooding of freeware dvd duplicating programs like Anydvd, Dvd Decryptor etc

And to get back to your point any of the above can damage your connection and ability to stay on the network but in the last month I have received reports of WinMx crashing for no reason.
As it been hard to pin this down to any specific factor I am withholding judgement, but there is a form of attack that is being looked for on the network, its just not common enough to gather all the details on yet, but I have a debugger running and a packet sniffer with logging in operation, so hopefully some news will be available soon to allow us all to discover the cause.
Dazzle

Postby DeViLmAn » Sun May 08, 2005 9:26 am

well i can honestly say ive experienced the first couple alot recently mainly when im hosting a room. And the third with the virus i got that the othere day when trying to get blues brothers :-( i hoe they get whats comeing to them who eveer is doing this .

BTW is there anyway of protecting myself im running windows firewall syagte firewall im behind a router which i only have a couple of ports opened. plus im useing peerguardian. And im running a antivirus etrust antivirus thats monitoring all incoming and outgoing files.
DeViLmAn

Postby Dazzle » Sun May 08, 2005 11:35 pm

Hi Devilman, most of the flooding type problem can be dealt with easily enough, but what I,m investigating is a remote buffer overflow against the WinMx client itself and it very hard for me to trace the exact section of the client being attacked but due to the fact that its becoming more common I,m at least 75% certain it is an attack.
Thats my opion of course and I am at this time unable to back that up with the data that would constitute proof, but I hope to gather enough crash reports from folks to target my effort more effectively.

Looking at the network recently there does seem a lot of excessive refreshes going across it from the same IP,s but once again who can judge what is "normal", rest assured ,I,ll bring any news here with protection advice when the problem(s) is identified
Dazzle

Postby DeViLmAn » Mon May 09, 2005 5:06 pm

Well i know its only a guess on your part mate but theres deffinatly something going on i never lose my connection maybe once a month IF im inlucky . But recently its every single day near enough i wake up and my connection is dead . On a couple of occassions my router has been totaly locked up and ive had to unplug it from the mains instead of the usual restart . And it cant be my i.s.p. it happening to my co host all with different i.s.p. and from all over the world . Only person that isnt haveing it is on 5MB cable.
DeViLmAn

Postby Joe_Rigby » Mon May 09, 2005 6:09 pm

Peerguardian used to always kick my router offline for a few hours, especially if I was using Bit Torrent. In the log of my router, it always showed up as a "smurf attack" You might try it without peerguardian for a while, and see how that treats you. Remember to also disable it on the other computers on your network as well (all on that specific router), but I'd suggest you leave a firewall up.
Joe_Rigby

Postby Dazzle » Tue May 10, 2005 12:01 am

That sounds like a useful snippet of info there Joe ,I,ll add that to my check list,
hopefully we can at least rule out some configurations. :)
Dazzle

Postby sonic1974 » Tue May 10, 2005 8:37 am

thax guys you all be very helpful, i got my problem fixed hope any otheres having probs get sorted too!!
sonic1974

Postby DeViLmAn » Tue May 10, 2005 9:00 am

joe its deffinatly not peerguardian mate ive not had this problem before and ive been speaking to a couple of other people on winmx and theyve experienced the second attack . The one with to many sources that crashes winmx .

Theres some sad people around doing this :(
DeViLmAn

Postby Joe_Rigby » Tue May 10, 2005 1:15 pm

Well, while it's true I've not used WinMX in quite a while, I know that peerguardian used in tandem with a bandwidth hungry P2P App is known to cause connection problems. I don't know the amount of people encountering this issue, and I'm not dissing Peerguardian, because in the time I had it, it worked pretty well as far as I could tell, but I got rid of it and the problems related to my router locking up went with it. Do you use PeerGuardian? Have you discontinued use of it for a while?
Joe_Rigby

Postby Dazzle » Sun May 22, 2005 11:38 am

This is the real reason, just as described, buffer overflow attacks etc :roll:

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11361

Luckily they are trying to patent it or we would have still been guessing :x
Dazzle

Postby nms04 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:20 am

old news! from what i know there were hackers on the winmx rooms since a long time!
nms04

Postby Dazzle » Mon May 23, 2005 8:30 am

Where did you post this old news ? I cant see any mention of it ? :?
And a patented system is not really hackers now is it .
Has anyone actually read the the digest posted on vladds ?
Dazzle

Re: HAckers here too

Postby flagran » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:30 pm

sonic1974 wrote:does anyone know of or heard of any hacking attempts to winmx chat rooms?? any news or help plz !! :)

..ahem just type h/p/v/c/a in a search engine

and click on anythin doin with winmx

usually these ego-testicle driven maniacs have a brag page

hack/phreak/virii/crackz/anarchy ...for those curious

..was a curious lamer way back when :roll:..don't ask
"When a feint ain't...Booya!!!."~Cyber General flagran
flagran

Return to WinMX