Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Is WinMX dead?

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Is WinMX dead?

Postby king » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:48 am

it's since months that WinMX 3.54 is still in beta stage! And WinMX 3.54 features are not so complicated to be developed. I'm so shocked! :shock:
Well, I think that a true WinMX protocol update never come
king

Postby DaBlade » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:04 am

If you want something done, do it yourself.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby Kullt » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:25 am

Cheers DaBlade I lost that link.

I thought the project was dead, glad to see it's still going. :D
Kullt

Postby DaBlade » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:10 pm

It is dead. It needs some python devs to revive it.

DaBlade

Re: Is WinMX dead?

Postby sybesma » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:57 pm

king wrote:it's since months that WinMX 3.54 is still in beta stage! And WinMX 3.54 features are not so complicated to be developed. I'm so shocked! :shock:
Well, I think that a true WinMX protocol update never come

Yesh, yesh! WinMX is truly DEAD!

Been one year now since the last beta.
sybesma

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:02 am

Interesting--there is still some interest in the project.

Well I may just consider reviving it... (But note: a revision means some actual code, so we shall see.)
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby serrebi101 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:03 am

already giving up on winmx
it's only been a year
took 2 years 3.31/3.5beta
lol
:D
come back in a year
thanks
serrebi101

Postby raar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:52 am

NO! It's not dead. It's just a program that hasn't been updated, but still works. It has some present problems with fake files, but all of the p2p programs do. It's just that WinMX is just left hanging there right now, with none of the original programmers taking care of it. None of us really knows what is going on, but I use it still to this day and have used it since the dying days of Napster.
And I figure I'll continue to use it til it's last dying breath. And then I will be forced to move on.
Try it. It's opennap servers are great for mp3s. It's also not so plagued by the fake file basturds. Great speeds, bitrates and even better for rare stuff. Remember, it's not the greed of how many you can get, but the hunt and that you're sharing music with your fellow man. Man, I'm gay. Not literally, but I always root for the underdog.
raar

Postby Psycho Ced » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:57 am

iNaNimAtE wrote:Interesting--there is still some interest in the project.

Well I may just consider reviving it... (But note: a revision means some actual code, so we shall see.)

Where the hell did you pop back up from? :shock:
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby king » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:47 am

raar wrote:NO! It's not dead. It's just a program that hasn't been updated, but still works.

it doesn't work! WinMX's search doesn't work!!!!
king

Postby Ooble » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:52 am

I'd like to write about WinMX for a bit.

When I discovered WinMX, all those years ago, it was, in essence, the shiznit. I could download my music at blazing speeds of nearly 7 Kb/s - I didn't want to give that up. Sure, the program hadn't been updated in a while, but with a userbase as big and as diverse as it had at one point, who cared?

Then the v3.53 beta came out. I remember rejoicing from me and DaBlade, among countless others. Until we realised all it improved was the Chat functionality. Well, no matter, we thought at least the developers are working.

Just as we started to lose interest in the released version of 3.53, a new beta was released, this time with a brand new library. Finally, something that was actually useful to me. And it was. Unfortunately, that's about as far as it's gone. No protocol updates. No improved searching algorithm. It doesn't even work with my router. For these reasons and others, WinMX has dwindled from being my P2P app of choice to being just another memory drifting off into the horizon.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:32 pm

Psycho Ced wrote:Where the hell did you pop back up from? :shock:

Out of the shadows.

(Actually I got a personal message from TDO that brought me back.)
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby Dazzle » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:37 pm

Sorry to be a pain guys, but on a few forums I hear all sorts of opinions from folks not using WinMx who are just repeating ill informed comment, so if your actually a user could you indicate in your post as I can then give the required amount of credence to what is said.

Ok that peice of common sense out of the way,I would like to ask folks to be patient and wait until mondays announcement of the Grokster result, its well known that developement stopped at the same time as the case was appealed.

In reply to King:

Which part does not work and how where you able to judge this ?
Most folks are succesfully using -c: and peerguardian and enjoying the normal functions without interuption.

Actually the last beta was released on 13th december, and featured a channel listing fix for secondary users that was needed,along with a few other fixes.

I prefer to let reputable organisations do surveys before condeming anything to the graveyard and recently a poll found WinMx to be the #1, even beating itunes.

http://australianit.news.com.au/article ... 06,00.html

I wonder why that is ?

I would be the first to agree that the flooding has been annoying, but lets keep things in perspective here, its still in use by millions of users and works fine.
Users looking for top 40 tracks have to put in a little extra effort but thems the breaks and typing 3 characters into the lower text box never killed anyone.
Dazzle

Postby sybesma » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:00 pm

Dazzle wrote:Sorry to be a pain guys, but on a few forums I hear all sorts of opinions from folks not using WinMx who are just repeating ill informed comment, so if your actually a user could you indicate in your post as I can then give the required amount of credence to what is said.

Ok that peice of common sense out of the way,I would like to ask folks to be patient and wait until mondays announcement of the Grokster result, its well known that developement stopped at the same time as the case was appealed.

In reply to King:

Which part does not work and how where you able to judge this ?
Most folks are succesfully using -c: and peerguardian and enjoying the normal functions without interuption.

Actually the last beta was released on 13th december, and featured a channel listing fix for secondary users that was needed,along with a few other fixes.

I prefer to let reputable organisations do surveys before condeming anything to the graveyard and recently a poll found WinMx to be the #1, even beating itunes.

http://australianit.news.com.au/article ... 06,00.html

I wonder why that is ?

I would be the first to agree that the flooding has been annoying, but lets keep things in perspective here, its still in use by millions of users and works fine.
Users looking for top 40 tracks have to put in a little extra effort but thems the breaks and typing 3 characters into the lower text box never killed anyone.

You were quoting me, not King.

But that's OK.

I've been using WinMX since 2002. Still using it.

I'm just discouraged at the near dead pace.

I know WinMX can be much better and I'm still waiting for someone to pick up where Kevin left off because obviously he has no real interest in pushing this forward anymore.

He may well have other priorities in his life that are more pressing (don't most of us?)

He should release WinMX under the GPL and open development community.

He's not going to do anything with it if he doesn't.
sybesma

Postby LANjackal » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:29 pm

WinMX will always have a place in my heart as one of my favorite P2P programs. Unfortunately, it's extrememly susceptible to spoofing attacks, and the lack of development hasn't really helped this at all. Nowadays very few searches on the network actually return useful results. Consequently, it's gone from being my #1 choice to my #3, behind Limewire and Ares (first and second, respectively). Still, apparently the spoofing is concentrated in newer releases - searching for older material will often net you some decent finds.

If the core programmers on this project have lost interest in it, they should simply GPL or CC the code. It's not as if they were making any money from it in the first place, as WinMX never involved adware or spyware (something that can't be said for Ares or Limewire). There's a good chance that the loyal user base would immediately improve the client if it were open sourced. On the other hand, Shareaza's progress since it was GPLed hasn't been exactly too exciting, so maybe even releasing the code won't be much help. We'll just have to see.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Dazzle » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:11 pm

I agree with both of you, I know at least 4 programmers who would be more than willing to set to work on this but no one can do a thing without harming WinMx as it stands, as its an all or nothing situation with the existing client.

I am hoping for a sign this week that all is well, even a simple press release would suit me, just to say that they will or will not be moving ahead with the projected developements.

I,m sure lessons can be taken from other open source p2p clients, that will resolve some of the flooding issues, but as we all agree, a signal of intentions from winmx technologies would be the way forward.

WinMx Technologies /Frontcode make a statement this week and give us some hope for future developements.
Dazzle

Postby raar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:50 pm

king wrote:
raar wrote:NO! It's not dead. It's just a program that hasn't been updated, but still works.

it doesn't work! WinMX's search doesn't work!!!!

Must be just you, man, cause although the search function is a bit fucked, it still searches, it just pauses and then brings up about 2,000 users all at once. But I still get my songs.
raar

Dead!

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:17 am

Dead and forgotten. It´s Win"if you start, 1´ll start"MX...
Anonymous

Postby Duex_et_Machina » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:17 pm

Hey All..

Have to say WinMX is far from dead, running a help room on there and a website dedicated solely to WinMX and problems I can say.. our membership is growing fast. Its a new site but we are averaging 3.8 new users a day and the room is almost always busy with new users looking for guidance.

We have an archive with a growing inventory of WinMX related programs and add-ons to allow users to enjoy WinMX to its fullest...

Dont get me wrong, we would all love to see a new release from Frontcode and I suspect in light of recent events this is under works, just being decided what the best course of action might be.. the law of the US land is famous for its precise ability to confuse the issue further..as we see again with the Grokster case..

In any case WinMX is not being any more distrupted then any other p2p of its kind and infact is easier to deal with the fakes at this time due to great folks that fight back .. So simply knowing how to deal with your searches as we do, brings new life to what we all know and love as WinMX..

If anyone wants to give us a look we'd love to see ya there..

WinMx World

:wink:
Duex_et_Machina

Postby Sylph420 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:26 pm

good to know ... hopefully 3.54 fixes most of the problems I had with the old version :)
gunzip - strip - touch - finger - mount - f*ck - more - yes - umount - sleep

Sex on a UNIX

AgainstTCPA.com
Sylph420

Postby -KM- » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:07 pm

Sylph420 wrote:good to know ... hopefully 3.54 fixes most of the problems I had with the old version :)

if anyone ever tells you about a program that doesn't have any faults, ignore them they are talking rubbish :-)

3.54 still has a couple of potential issues that I am aware of that could be disasterous, but they aren't a problem for now so I guess they dont matter :-D

The only big problem on WinMX so far is the fake file flooding, but thats only really an issue for users who havent used MX before, most of those who use it know the various ways to get real files so its not a concern.

I think the fact that WinMX development has been "slow" is a good sign, it doesn't need all these updates all the time to stay popular like other programs do :-)
-KM-

Postby sybesma » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:05 pm

Duex_et_Machina wrote:Hey All..

3.8 new users a day and the room is almost always

WinMx World

Geesh, when I shaw dat "3.8" I vash tinking it vash a new VERSHION!

Hah, hah, hah! I vill check out your vebshite! :lol:
sybesma

Postby Duex_et_Machina » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:34 pm

:lol:

Sorry for the minor disappointment.. hehe

Duex_et_Machina

Postby DaBlade » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:40 pm

vebshite

:lol: :lol: :lol: