Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Corrupted files!

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Corrupted files!

Postby jammen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:58 am

I just downloaded several archived opera files and about 4/5 of them are corrupted will not open. I haven't tried repairing them with winrar yet, but has anyone else had this problem? It is a first for me.
jammen

Re: Corrupted files!

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:04 am

errrrr... what are you calling an archived opera file? are you trying to download people singing in italian, or are you referring to the browser?
MrFredPFL

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:45 am

MrFredPFL wrote:errrrr... what are you calling an archived opera file? are you trying to download people singing in italian, or are you referring to the browser?

I was going to ask the same thing. Either way, it depends where you got it from. If its from a website or usenet then it may have been corrupted during the download process and simply downloading it will solve the issue. If you got it from BT ive yet to have a corrupted file since there is more error checking and parts will be downloaded again straight away if damaged or incomplete.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Ratt » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:59 pm

And if it's from Emule and the like then you may have files with content that is different from the file name. When Winrar tries to open a file that is really video, audio, or other types of data (but some sneaky bastard renamed the file) then it gives you the error that "the archive may be broken or corrupt". It doesn't have an "this is not an archive at all, buddy!" error in its repertoire.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Ratt makes a good point - perhaps jammen should try opening those files in a media player when there are NO children around....
might get a little surpirse :shock:
"I'd hate to be a teetotaler. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that's as good as you're going to feel all day"
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby Ratt » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:23 am

NocturnalVagabond wrote:might get a little surpirse :shock:

Opera with a strangely high amount of nudity on stage, is only the least shocking of all the many possibilities. :)
Last edited by Ratt on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 am

nude opera? now THAT might actually make opera popular :)
MrFredPFL

Postby jammen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks guys, I had downloaded operas (Pavrotti, Callas, etc) from emules archive directory. I do receive the error "the archive may be broken or corrupt". you're right they're probably pron, but I didn't think opera/jazz would have so many false files.
jammen

Postby Ratt » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:12 pm

One thing you can do is check the file names while it is downloading (Right Click on file > Details > Name). Then you rank them by name, in order to determine more easily which file names occur most often. If the most occurring names are something that you did not expect, or if there are too many inconsistencies, it is probably a fake.

(Admittedly, this is not very useful if the number of sources is low, as I suspected those opera files are. When I downloaded Wagner's Ring cycle, there weren't very many...)
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:26 pm

Ratt wrote:When I downloaded Wagner's Ring cycle,

Was that a Seymor Butts production ? ....
"I'd hate to be a teetotaler. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that's as good as you're going to feel all day"
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Return to eMule / kad