Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

eD2k - Servers wtf???

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

eD2k - Servers wtf???

Postby Master_Blaster » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Has anyone else notice that the servers are dewindeling lately??

gruk and peerrates still bring them on but the faves are just unstable
SAusgstube - Usenext - emulesrvr list 1 - unstable
only TVU server seems to hold....

any ideas
Master_Blaster

Re: eD2k - Servers wtf???

Postby zbeast » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:07 pm

Oh they have been going away for a while...
About 2 years ago.. Germany copywrite thugs shut a lot of them down.
http://forum.emule-project.net/lofiversion/index.php/t128892.html
The few that remain are not all that useful or they are fakes.

Get the latest emule and turn on automatic for your search domain.
So if you happen to be connected to a good server you can use it otherwise it makes use of the Kad network.

Don't worry be happy... Kad works fine and keeps and keeps emule clients running fine without servers.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Master_Blaster » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:18 pm

thanks.....

KAD works pretty good.... too bad for the ed2k ones, we will just have to wait and see then
Master_Blaster

Postby Overnet User » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I have seen alot of those shut down servers come back again and be very good servers after the shutdown. I don't know how long as for I don't download much these days due to lack of resources but I just use my pg integrated with blocklist manager to block the fake servers (I don't know how effective or well it is at blocking fakes) and it seems to work fine.
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby HKM » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:28 am

Have you tried eDonkeyServer No 1/2 (77.247.178.244/245)? ATM they are the top 2 trusted eD2k servers which offers the highest softlimit to publish files thus more users are connected to them. You can use KAD but that has its own limitations so will never be effective as eD2k servers.

Far as Saugstube and TVU goes they are working properly but due to the low softlimit not many user connects to them and mostly have less than 125k users connected at any given time. Both of these servers haven't been used much since last years wide server shutdowns like to BigBang, ByteDevils, DonkeyServer.
HKM

Postby Ratt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:20 pm

HKM wrote:You can use KAD but that has its own limitations so will never be effective as eD2k servers.

Aren't the only limitations of Kad that searching/connecting takes a few seconds longer, overhead is slightly higher, and older modems don't support UPD connections all that well? None of those are what you could call a serious obstacle.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby HKM » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:26 pm

No, Kademlia is DHT based network and many aspect is not so simple. KAD relay on UDP when communicating from node to node but data is still exchanged from user to user over TCP under transport. Compared to eD2k where you publish the file to single median on KAD you publish based on the node itself and the value is hashed within it and when searching for value it is searched closed to the node and expended until value is matched in logical operation.

Yes, new user can bootstrap to KAD within 5-6sec and be connected to 1000+ nodes within a min or two. But depending how many files you share that can take hours to publish. Which is not ideal solution when releasing new or rare files only people who are pro favor of KAD are illiterate eMule fanboy who does not understand how eD2k works itself let alone complex routing table of KAD or locating resource within it.

Without understanding the complete framework you won't understand how KAD works. This is not the right forum as we have discussed the limitation and flaws of KAD in official aMule/eMule forum. If you visit you can find threads under General and Development. For this Gnutella is superior compared to KAD and at the same time main network is only strong because of eD2k, eServers are the backbone. For now KAD can't replace eD2k in scale you see on other DHT based network. But work is being done which may change lets see.
HKM

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:14 pm

HKM wrote:This is not the right forum

says who? i don't see any reference to it being unacceptable to discuss the technicalities of how KAD works here. however, please take a moment to read the forum rules to see what IS unacceptable. for example - the rules limit the length of sigs. they are in the process of being rewritten, so don't worry about the stated limit of 3 lines - but we'd appreciate it if you'd keep it to the new limit, which is 5 ;)

thanks in advance, and welcome to slyck :)
MrFredPFL

Postby HKM » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Far as KAD goes it has been discussed thoroughly in extensive detail in many times in official aMuke/eMule forum. As one can search and find it but if anyone have any question I can explain it. But for the time being as I said KAD is still limited comparing to other DHT based network and ~Mule is only big because of eD2k mainly the servers so for KAD to replace the eD2k they have alot years of work ahead of them.

Thanks, but I am a old user :P with new nick I hope no admin/mod remembers me lets keep it that way :P also why 3line? what can I post with 5line? and why is image disabled? if even that was allowed I can post stats in single image in single line that would be acceptable. I don't see what harm it does if it does not violate any copyright laws or illegal content.
HKM

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:23 pm

:lol: ok, then welcome back ;)

as far as the limit on lines - we have to draw a line somewhere. we've chosen 5 as what we feel is a reasonable limit, to prevent pages from being stretched by long sigs. after all, chances are, no one else is nearly as interested in a very long sig as its author is ;)

about images - it's not about copyright, it's about the appearance of the forum. we don't want images distracting from the discussion. in other words, what's important is what people have to say, as opposed to a fashion show. as for a single line image - i think i know what you mean, and that's an idea worth bringing into our discussion prior to posting the revised rules :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Lee1001 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:33 am

Try:http://www.server-met.de/
Last edited by Lee1001 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee1001

Postby tiny4eva » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:48 am

How difficult is it to set up one of these said servers? is it like opennap? open up people connect, server index's files etc? I run a cache for winmx and one of its greatest strengths is now its ease in running.
Winmx, We wont sell out like them Scurvy infected Pirate Bay Boys

http://patch.winmxconex.com
tiny4eva

Postby HKM » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:39 pm

ATM I have no idea what is happening with the current eServer project or what Lugdunum is doing or if its active and maintained by someone else. The current version is 17.15 which you can download for many architectures without any charge but like aMule/eMule it is not opensource and its proprietary for security reasons. MediaDefender and other company that is affiliated with MPAA/RIAA does try to reverse engineer server software and run fake servers but their server does not yet support protocol obfuscation. Depending on how you setup the server your will show in Gruk.org but you can disable it. It is very easy to setup the server that is if you can install the software. I have the package for *nix and I tried it works fine but the problem is BANDWIDTH. You have no idea how much bandwidth you need. It is not particle to run it from home residential line.
HKM

Postby tiny4eva » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:22 am

I wasnt considering hosting one from a home line, what i was intrested in was how they worked. It appears to me that is what the problem is here. Winmx's caches can be set to run happily on a users home connection. Now im not saying tehir anything like the same, as i assume each user keeps a constant connection to the server like as i pointed out open nap does where winmx's caches just give a node list and close the connection, as its opertaion other than that first process is decentralised. Now if your servers do index the files etc like opennap does could you not add the linking process like opennap does also for joining servers. Opennap/slavanap can be set to only allow a maximum amount of users to connect to one paticular server. But globaly by being able to join servers together as a hub can make an infinate amount of users. I appreciate you may not be part of the build team but you seem to know alot about its process's. I wonder if the design team thier are aware of a idea like that and the benifical part of a busy network and the small people can help build something bigger. Im affraid i am speaking from experiance and allowing the small folk a opertunity to help the network they enjoy brings things along wonderfully. At one time winmx was down to only 4 servers, they where kept to a degree under lock and key, now we are more open with its users and their are now 8 spread all round the world varying from home connections to proper servers. You will find alot of users are happy to help, but dont always have the money to afford servers to fund thier hobbies. Maybe you can pass this on, or someone who does desighn thier can come forward, their is alot of folk around this place that could teach, be taught, contribute; and im always happy to see P2P grow.

tiny4eva

Postby HKM » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:48 am

I understand that you have good intentions and where you are coming from, I been there and yes I have done it on small scale on another network. But what you have to take in account is that your own identity when I say identity I mean who are you and can you be trusted by users. The biggest concern normal people have when it comes to small server is that can they be trusted and not run by company like MediaDefender who works with RIAA/MPAA and run fake server and spam the network with fake files.

Another factor is the region you are in and the laws there. As most eD2k server are hosted in Netherland, China, Germany, France because of their "laws" which is not same as in USA as most servers in USA is not trusted because they can be affiliated with anti-p2p groups and don't last long.

The last factor is the hardware, storage, networking capabilities of the machine that eD2k server will be hosted on. So I can't say about the hardware or storage as it depends on you. But for bandwidth I can say is that your ISP may terminate your account because of high bandwidth usage which is not consistent with residential line depending on the type of ISP it is and the user agreement, TOS. But you can setup the server as you like and limit it for example have 1000 users connected each who can publish up to let say 3000 files.

But you are up against company like UseNeXT (who has the money) who seem to be hosting most of the servers for some times now beacuse they can afford the bandwidth, hardware and they have their own data centers as they are UseNet provider. They normally run on dual or quad Opt/Xeon systems with alot of rams supporting 100k+ (max up to 600-800k users on each servers) at any given time. Most importantly the users TRUST them.

PS: If you still want to run it then let me know ill let you know where you can get the package and how to set it up. But I am still little optimistic from past experience that it will last long and can you properly support it without any issues from ISP or other companies who targets the small guy.
HKM

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:17 pm

sorry, but this has to be one of the funniest things i've read here lately. you speak of the trust required for a successful server - and then you name usenext :lol:
MrFredPFL

Postby HKM » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:26 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:sorry, but this has to be one of the funniest things i've read here lately. you speak of the trust required for a successful server - and then you name usenext :lol:

Sorry, but this has to be one of the funniest things i've read here lately. You seem to think you connect to eD2k yet you don't know who is the provider for the top eD2k server today. You might want to actully connect to the TOP servers that is VERIFIED with MOST users and when you do look under server information. Then visit the link and see where you end up. Since when did UseNeXT didn't host top servers? ooh wait DonkeyServer 1-6 was UseNeXT also? They were shutdown RazorBack 3.1-3.2 came on and they died out and eDonkeyServer 1-2 is back which is run by who? UseNeXT.

PS: Don't confuse the server named "www.UseNeXT.to (87.230.83.44:4661)" with eDonkeyServer or old DonkeyServer. Talking about trust when ByteDevil and BigBang was sending spam results DonkeyServer was valid and till these day it is as its always have been. So I don't know what the hell you connected to but go to http://gruk.org/list.php for more info.
HKM

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:32 pm

wow. you are a pro at jumping to conclusions and talking down to people.

i never said i connect to ed2k. i have never used it. i have never downloaded or installed any client capable of connecting to it.

my only point is that usenext is not a name that is trusted by many people here, but i don't expect you to understand that.
MrFredPFL

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:10 pm

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31630
http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30800

Are a couple of the UseNext threads, they are kind of an entertaining read actually. After perousing through there a year ago...I would definately say, I would never purchase their service...not when I use the Rolls Royce of Usenet - Giganews!!
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby STHNS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:18 am

Unbelievable, this forum has no short of retards who always thinks they have a clue. No wonder this forum and most its users are the joke of the filesharing world now I see why. What you lack is knowledge but you seem to think you know it based on your limited understanding of the network you are on let alone comparing to others.

Lets clearfy something eD2k has NOTHING to do with UseNET. Its clear you have no idea what UseNET is all you do is use a client to connect and convert the binaries for god sake. You couldn't even access or convert anything from terminal using text based browsers only.

The top servers for eD2k is run by UseNeXT. They don't control what is being published as the indexing is done after user publish the file to the server. The server is not UseNeXT's software also as its by Lugdunum.

PS: So I can careless about UseNeXT or at their sad attempt at being wannabe UseNet provider. All you need is the server IP to connect to it for FREE. So get a clue both of you fools and no you can't even use UseNET you don't know how lmao. You pay for newsgroups for god sake lmao.
STHNS

Postby tiny4eva » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:21 am

I wasnt going to reply in this thread again, as what i was saying was basicly being missed, but to be accused of being a retard about software that yes i dont know nothing about, but had clearly asked countless times if it worked anything like open-nap. And recived no clarification if it did or didnt.

Personally to have 2 post counts, and have the cheek to call anyone a retard is pretty diabolical, this place is more than happy to cater for most folks, I may not know nothing about ed2k, and to be honest i dont really care, i do though know everything about winmx, every protocal, each section of its opertaion, source code for its health and opertaion and have been running caches for nearly 2 1/2 years to keep it alive and healthy. It is a fast growing network again due to a bunch, not just myself but a TEAM of non profit for the love of winmx users and we are more diverse and reliable than we ever have been and a growing user base last time i looked of nearly 350,000 users since our new patch release i tend to have to say what i say is far from being a retard.

As a retard a section of what i posted was missed about interlinking servers. I dont know if they are already linked somehow, but catering for users who have home connections will the way to save ed2k. But yes it was missed and uncomented, and another so called retard MrFred who actually designed slavanap, one of the networks that works like this who would have no idea how to help as we are retards. Go play with your toys we evidently know nothing round here.

tiny4eva

Postby Maestro120 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:16 am

Paladwyn wrote:http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31630
http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30800

Are a couple of the UseNext threads, they are kind of an entertaining read actually. After perousing through there a year ago...I would definately say, I would never purchase their service...not when I use the Rolls Royce of Usenet - Giganews!!

Are you comparing them to a Rolls because they run as fast and as smoothly as one or is it because their subscriptions equal to a downpayment on one ? :mrgreen:
Maestro120

Postby tiny4eva » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 am

Well i decided seen as it was quite in work to go read up on the ed2k network. I found a few books etc upon the process of these servers. And really its a basic progression sort of a little inbetween napster & opennap. If anything id say the fact that it has udp support for allowing the transfer of files between firewalled users is about the only thing that see it beyond them too old networks(Sorry MrFred). But where it falls down is non of these servers can communicate with each other. so to get the best chance of getting files you have to be connected to as many servers as possible. Personally as has been seen in the past, and looking threw your own news articles centralised servers is its greatest weakness. The kad network seems to me to be the future for that network but you need to come up with a better way of getting nodes than browsing loads of dodgy websites and finding fakes. You could always take a leaf out of winmx's book their. That process is exactly how winmx works. each peer cache is connected to the network, as each client requests a nodes list its filtered from the network to the client and blam your online. Spread them all over the world and you have a very difficult network to close down. ah well anyway, ill return to retard corner now :tinfoilhat:

tiny4eva

Postby Paladwyn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:59 am

Wow...somebody has some SERIOUS issues, it takes a real MAN to get banned twice, haha..

Gotta love when the 'know-it-all' types come in and spew a bunch of crap and try to get people to believe them, and when nobody does..they get REALLY upset for some reason... why is that?
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:10 am

well, part of his problem, beside having no social skills whatsoever and feeling that he's better than everyone, is that he either can't be bothered to actually pay attention to what anyone beside himself says, or else he's just too dense to understand it. the rant about usenet was priceless, since no one here has mentioned usenet except him. apparently he thinks that because i commented about the name usenext, i somehow think that ed2k and usenet are the same thing, or god knows what. no matter, and no loss.

HKM wrote:Thanks, but I am a old user :P with new nick I hope no admin/mod remembers me lets keep it that way :P

i guess i should have taken that warning to heart. silly me, i tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, until he demonstrated that he's incapable of posting without calling everyone retarded.
MrFredPFL

Next

Return to eMule / kad