Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

how can I get emule to start downloading faster ?

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

how can I get emule to start downloading faster ?

Postby auto7890 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:42 pm

I have been -waiting- for 5 hours for emule to start downloading two ed2k links for me.
They are movies and have plenty of sources, but why do I have to wait so long ?
auto7890

Re: how can I get emule to start downloading faster ?

Postby multivariable » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:51 pm

You can't do anything. That's just the way it is. Get used to it.
multivariable

Postby Ratt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:42 pm

That's right. Five hours for two 700MB files (assuming that they're near-DVD-quality movies and not HD) sounds about right. Only files with +1000 sources will finish much faster than that.

You're complaining now, but the time will come when you want something obscure, and the only place that has it immediately available is the Edonkey network.

But if you want something that's recent and popular, and you want it at maximum DL speed, then torrent it, Megaupload/Rapidshare it, or get it off the newsgroups. Those are the technologies built for greater speed.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby Aaron.Walkhouse » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:22 pm

It's reasonable to expect a large download to finish in five hours,
but what's the problem when it doesn't even start for five hours? :shock:
Aaron.Walkhouse

Postby Ratt » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:06 pm

Whoops, I did misread the original post there. Thought it said "finish". Thank you Aaron.

But even then, it is not an impossible scenario, if there are only 10-20 sources or less: in that case a download really can take 5 hours (or more) to start, especially if you have no credits or no relevant credits (meaning, you have never uploaded anything before to the people who have the file you want). In general it can take a long while to get that first chunk (as the first chunks and the last chunks always take the longest: it is in the middle that the greatest speed is attained).

In other words, it depends on what he meant by "plenty".
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Return to eMule / kad