Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Surge in search results on ED2K/Kad - the OiNK effect?

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Surge in search results on ED2K/Kad - the OiNK effect?

Postby LANjackal » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:32 pm

So, on eMule, just did my first P2P search since the OiNK raid yesterday.

I almost fell out of my chair at the number of results returned for what I assumed would be a couple rare dance tracks. I'm talking about the high hundreds here, and NOT spam either.

Up to recently, the quality of ED2K/Kad search results had been going down the pipes. ED2K was becoming next to useless, and Kad was decent - if you could even bootstrap a connection.

Perhaps the BPI managed to achieve the renaissance of ED2K/Kad, something which the sharers on their own would/could not have accomplished on their own LOLOLOL? Talk about the law of unintended consequences.

Is anyone else seeing the same? Or am I crazy? Talk back to me, thanks.

- LJ

EDIT: Did the same search on Frostwire. Remember how Gnutella was full of crap up to last week? Not any more folks. Wow, this is like the good ol' days all over again hahaha
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Re: Surge in search results on ED2K/Kad - the OiNK effect?

Postby Spyker1 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:13 pm

You might be right. I just did a search and seemed like there was more files than the other night I was looking.

I have never had problems connecting to KAD. It always went green for me and I don't bootstrap. Once in awhile it won't connect, I hit recheck firewall a few times and it goes green.
Have an open mind and happiness will follow.
Spyker1

Postby LANjackal » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:22 pm

Well, I certainly did NOT have any trouble connecting tonight, that's for sure.

Let the good times roll, baby. *belts out old Tom Petty* Honey put on that party dress!

and Spyk' what is that philosophical shit in your sig? Wierd ;) :lol:

Feel good time, baby
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Spyker1 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:29 pm

As long as I can listen to bands I have not heard before it's all good. I get recommendations. Just been hearing some awful bands lately. I did find one out of all that trash in the last few weeks that was good.

And the sig means that if your open to new things you never know what you will find. Like music, I have found some great bands I would have never even thought to listen to if I didn't even give them a listen. :D
Have an open mind and happiness will follow.
Spyker1

Postby LANjackal » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:48 pm

Spyker1 wrote:And the sig means that if your open to new things you never know what you will find. Like music, I have found some great bands I would have never even thought to listen to if I didn't even give them a listen. :D
I figured that, I was just joshing you
LANjackal

Postby Drake » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:01 pm

LANjackal wrote:Up to recently, the quality of ED2K/Kad search results had been going down the pipes. ED2K was becoming next to useless, and Kad was decent - if you could even bootstrap a connection.

eMule's search function has been producing fakes for a long time. I'd hardly consider the network to be useless just because of that and I've never had problems connecting to Kad. If you stick to verified links and legit .met files I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Drake

Postby IceCube » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:02 am

*scratches head*

I rarely had problems with fakes or finding content that I wanted. Then again, I'm looking for different content as well, so while I use eMule, I probably wouldn't know what the situation is like for searching for mainstream content. Last time I did that was months ago when I still actually liked two or three of the bands. If you want to avoid fakes, though, I'd suggest using a white-list because if a company is trying to spoof it, chances are, a white list has it - though look on UseNet first. Unfortunately, UseNet is not void of fakes either (via NZB files), just so you're warned.
IceCube

Postby zbeast » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:20 am

I guess the take down of OiNK resulted in a kind of a "splash effect".
You take a bucket of water, now you drop a big rock in that bucket of water.
Now the water that was once was in the bucket is now everywhere.

You can't destroy the water all your doing is spreading it around.

Splish-Splash.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby jimmy90 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:14 am

Hopefully the eMule crew are busy making a Kad optimised version of the mule ready for full decentralisation as it seems all centralised and for-profit solutions are being shut down.

They are normally very quiet. Lord knows what's going on. Kad still rocks though :headbang:
jimmy90

Postby Ratt » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:38 am

jimmy90 wrote:Hopefully the eMule crew are busy making a Kad optimised version of the mule ready for full decentralisation as it seems all centralised and for-profit solutions are being shut down.

I thought Kad was fully decentralized. But if you're referring to the (very occasional) need for a nodes.dat in order to get started, yeah, that should be integrated into the program ASAP, so that it's just one click to connect for the first time.

But really, not long ago I left one computer turned off for six whole weeks, and Kad was still able to connect to the network all by itself after that. That's pretty impressive in its own right.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Return to eMule / kad