Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How Safe Emule Is?

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How Safe Emule Is?

Postby Aachen » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:19 pm

Can we be caught using emule? and how do they track users who are downloading and uploading, is possible "they" track my IP ?
Aachen

Re: How Safe Emule Is?

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:08 pm

"they" track your ip by your client broadcasting it. yes, you can be caught.
MrFredPFL

Postby IceCube » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:03 pm

If you don't download 50 Cent and Britney Spears (along with other RIAA content) you are, by my count, pretty safe. Of course, nothing is absolutely safe. As Fred said, it's possible to get your IP address even though your seen by other clients as having nothing but the IP address of the server you are connected to (KAD is different on the other hand)
IceCube

Postby Aachen » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:14 pm

Thanks for answering... :D
btw, i'm safer connected only in KAD? why is different?
Aachen

Postby Andu » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:48 am

Because the server is a possible leak. Like if you connect to a fake server you'd be sending it the list of files that you want to share to somebody you really don't want to have it.
Andu

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:50 am

This question gets retarded after awhile.

Safe is relative, are you safer on emule than kazaa... mabey... but does it really matter, not until you get sued. Take the total number of file shareing in America divide by the number of lawsuits... thats your odds of being sued -- small.

If you can't handle small, don't share files, anywhere. You're playing the lottery every time you share a file.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby hellspawn » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:18 pm

I was recently sent a letter forwarded from my isp from The Entertainment Software Association claiming Intellectual property infringement. They basically tagged a no cd crack file which I had in my shared files folder of Emule. The funny thing is I own the full box version of the game associated with it. Frankly I thought it was ubsurd for them to go after this but let them waste there time and money. Basically my ISP just threatened to boot me. This prompted me to very politely tell them that I removed the offending file as they requested and the bought a new cable modem so my isp couldn't identify me anymore. The moral of the story is some isp will tell these organization to go bleep themselves and some will sell you out in a second. This determines how safe you are. What I don't under stand is why not beat them at there own game come up with a software with packet encryption built in and a licence agreement that simply states no business may use the product. For every law suit filed they can be sued right back for infringement of that licence agreement.
hellspawn

Postby ravensky6x9 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:33 pm

wanna know how safe emule is? ya as said its relative. but I have a computer thats on its own modem that is specificaly used only for p2p and emule. I've been using emule since around 97' without ever having a letter, notice, anything.. knock on wood...given that I say it has its chance of being caught though not high.
tips. for emule just use your head, if you DL/ a copy of an os. immediately move it to another folder so its not in your shared. the less time an item remains in your shared folder the less you have to worry about it, the only exception is for BT .. seed as much as you can...but be safe about it.
ravensky6x9

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:54 pm

What I don't under stand is why not beat them at there own game come up with a software with packet encryption built in and a licence agreement that simply states no business may use the product. For every law suit filed they can be sued right back for infringement of that licence agreement.

because this "agreement" would have no legal validity.
MrFredPFL

Postby Klaus_1250 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:56 am

MrFredPFL wrote:
What I don't under stand is why not beat them at there own game come up with a software with packet encryption built in and a licence agreement that simply states no business may use the product. For every law suit filed they can be sued right back for infringement of that licence agreement.

because this "agreement" would have no legal validity.

Why not? There are plenty of tools around which are free for personal use only. Commercial use requires a license/subscription fee. I don't see why that could not be applied here.

Also, I've recently "learned" that copyright allows copyright owners to decide what happens with their "property" and how said "property "may be used (information was from a EU sponsered project regarding internet usage and safety). If that is the case (surely the EU can't be lying), why couldn't a copyright holder decide that his property may ONLY be used for personal means? Isn't that his right?
Klaus_1250

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:07 am

hellspawn wrote:I was recently sent a letter forwarded from my isp from The Entertainment Software Association claiming Intellectual property infringement. They basically tagged a no cd crack file which I had in my shared files folder of Emule. The funny thing is I own the full box version of the game associated with it. Frankly I thought it was ubsurd for them to go after this but let them waste there time and money. Basically my ISP just threatened to boot me. This prompted me to very politely tell them that I removed the offending file as they requested and the bought a new cable modem so my isp couldn't identify me anymore. The moral of the story is some isp will tell these organization to go bleep themselves and some will sell you out in a second. This determines how safe you are. What I don't under stand is why not beat them at there own game come up with a software with packet encryption built in and a licence agreement that simply states no business may use the product. For every law suit filed they can be sued right back for infringement of that licence agreement.

From what I understand, it's not illegal to own a no-cd crack for any program, as the file itself is not an infringement (unless you have a copy of the crack and the person who made the crack is whining). It would only be infringement if you used the crack on a copy of the program of which you do not own.

I personally use no-cd cracks all the time, even for games I do own..as I hate having to put in a disc for a half of a second just to verify that I have the disc, it's a pain in the ass.

So, I'm sure you could have said under what law is it illegal to have this program?
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:34 pm

klaus: yes, what you describe is correct. the original comment which i was replying to said:

a licence agreement that simply states no business may use the product.

this is rather different from what you describe in your first paragraph ;)

as for the rest of your discussion about copyright holder's rights, you make an interesting point. i'd like to investigate this, but it will have to wait, as i am on my way out the door. but if i forget about this topic, please remind me :)
MrFredPFL

Postby LD50% » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:09 pm

May I say Fred you look very different, the "op" was a success I see. Now don't forget this thread! :mrgreen:
LD50%

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:13 pm

lol welcome back, LD :) where u been hiding?

as for my new look, jb can explain it. it has to do with something he said in the stupid question thread ;)
MrFredPFL

Return to eMule / kad