Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Limiting # of Upload Slots in eMule v0.48a

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Limiting # of Upload Slots in eMule v0.48a

Postby LANjackal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:05 pm

Hey all, I just upgraded my internet connection and, as such, increased my upload bandwidth. I was wondering if there's an option somewhere in eMule that allows me to limit the number of upload slots? I searched the Options and couldn't find it anywhere there, which is odd because I seem to recall being able to do that before (unless my eMule memory's confused with that for another client).

Note that I'm not trying to reduce the overall upload speed, just to prevent my HDD from going nuts from serving many users different files at one time. Or is this something I shouldn't be concerned about?

Thanks,
LJ
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Re: Limiting # of Upload Slots in eMule v0.48a

Postby qm2003 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:12 pm

If you want to influence the number or the bandwidth of upload slots in emule or generally want more control over your own releases, you'll need a modified client from the support forum.

Something like the zzul mod to start easy.
For the full "package" have a look at the xtreme or morphxt mod, or derivates of them.
How to setup Emule. A small checklist Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing. In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?
qm2003

Postby LANjackal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:20 pm

Hmmm I think I'll just leave things as is, then.

LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby zbeast » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:45 pm

When using emule I install a second drive and that drive is used exclusively as the temp drive for emule.
emule will in normal operation beat a drive to death.
Take a look at the smart information for your current drive and look at the temp info.
You will see that your drive is running very hot.
Outting your temp files on a secondary drive and keeping your completed downloads on your c: drive,
will reducing your hammering and protect your completed download in case of a over use / over heat failure created by
emule. I've had that one happened to me.

Never use a USB external drive as your temp drive.
It makes your computer run real slow and can cause the early death of any external drive.
because most cheap external drives are installed in crappy cases with poor cooling.

You can reduce you upload hammering not by reducing the number of slots but by reducing your upload speeds.
But as you know because emule is based on a points system this can negatively impact your download and connect
access.

Never run a mod unless you really know the makers of such mods.
I'm sure that 75% of all the mods out there are key-loggers, spy-ware, or junk mail server in disguise.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby LANjackal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:06 pm

Well, I have a laptop, so an external drive is my only option. I use a single external drive to accommodate all my incoming downloads (the files may then be stored elsewhere, depending on what they are). Since I share a lot of completed stuff on eMule, I figured I might as well place both the Temp and Completed folders on the same drive since the contents of the latter get requested a LOT.

Up to the summer of 2005, the drive I used was a Firewire one. That one eventually failed, probably due to P2P stress as you mentioned (Technically speaking, rough handling during an interstate move killed it, but it was giving errors before even that). Since then, I've bought 2 drives, a SimpleTech USB/Firewire and an Adaptec USB/Firewire enclosure with a Seagate IDE drive in it. Neither of those function properly with Firewire, to put it mildly. That leaves me stuck with USB :(, the CPU issues of which I'm very aware.

Mitigating factors:

1 - I currently have eMule throttled to 25KB/s up
2 - I run eMule only when I need to download something from it, not 24/7
LANjackal

Postby IceCube » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:05 pm

There's a number of mods that will allow better control over your upload. I personally use eMule MorphXT. I was told while doing research on eMule mods that zzul is generally for slower connections (ala 56k users) I watched how fast a mod is updated to the latest source code of the official eMule client and Morph, at least, this time around, updated a heck of a lot faster (in the matter of a day or so) while zzul took a little longer (several weeks)

Edit:

zbeast wrote:Never run a mod unless you really know the makers of such mods.
I'm sure that 75% of all the mods out there are key-loggers, spy-ware, or junk mail server in disguise.

The official eMule forums has a section dedicated to eMule mods. If you are a member, this section becomes visible. All the mods are open source (compliant with the GPL) Not only that, but the section on their forums has an active thread of "bad mods" which either violate the GPL, contain malware, damage the network, or are a combination of the three. It's really hard to go wrong with the mods that have their own section on there.
IceCube

Postby Andu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:37 pm

Yea in the worst case you got the source and can compile the mod yourself after checking it.

I personally use Morph since version 1 now. Which has been a few years ago now :D.

As for external drives I'm currently considering to buy a 500GB external drive. And I want it to support eSATA which also removes the bottlenecks Firewire and USB 2.0. With a proper case that should be as good as any internal drive. Especially since I'm thinking about getting a Seagate Barracuda in it.
Andu

Postby PonyExpress » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:57 am

I have an upload bandwidth of 60kbps. This will yeild 24 slots most of the time. Since I am trying to push faster to fewer clients, I have opted to use MorphXT. Not only is powersharing a valuable feature, but also to limit the # of slots I chose Options/Mod Options/Morph/Slot Limiter - Upload speed/3kbps.

The powershared file always gets slot #1, and the bandwidth is a percentage of overall, I have powershare at 50%. This slot receives 30kbps, no more. The rare file I selected to powershare is pushed steadily to clients, they receive the file in record time and spend no time waiting on a queue.

When there is no interest in the powershared file, then the full 60kbps is used for uploads from my shared files directory. However, as part of the eMule share algo, I spend most of the time uploading chunks of the same files I am currently downloading, this establishes more credits with peers and aids in download times. A peer who is downloading from me will receive up to 58kbps if his bandwidth will accept it.

Spare slots will idle back to let top slots receive 95% of available bandwidth. After watching some peers upload to me at speeds exceeding 45kpbs I was curious how they did it, research led me to MorphXT but I do believe that the standard .48 eMule client is quite capable on its own.
PonyExpress

Postby Hypnotoad » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:43 am

One can't help but feel that this particular PonyExpress has been somewhat delayed.
Hypnotoad

Return to eMule / kad