Slyck Chatbox - And More

Mod question.

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Mod question.

Postby Royce » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:17 am

Hey all!
So, been using eMule for years, but recently found a situation which makes me want to change the program a little. I am looking for an eMule option or mod that would allow me to disable sharing currently downloading files.
Royce

Re: Mod question.

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:07 am

Royce wrote:Hey all!
So, been using eMule for years, but recently found a situation which makes me want to change the program a little. I am looking for an eMule option or mod that would allow me to disable sharing currently downloading files.

That wouldn't work. One of the protocol's characteristics is that it forms mini-swarms (a la BT) centered around a particular requested file. So, for example, if you're downloading FileA, the protocol will give priority to those who already possess ANY portion thereof. In case you haven't noticed, partial file sharing is a HUGE part of ED2K/Kad's unmatched retention/availability. Denying it to others is equivalent to a BT client that won't upload = cheating.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby in_hiding » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:58 am

yup, what LANjackal said. :)

there's probably a mod out there for every conceivable tweak, but sharing/not sharing currently-downloading files is out of the hands of the mod as it's built into the protocol (MFTP MetaMachine File Transfer Protocol, IIRC)
Forum Rules: Avatars shall not exceed a data size of 2OØ kilobytes.
in_hiding

Postby tay_highfield » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:05 am

I doubt many people would want to help you on this subject anyway.

If you don't want to share the files you are downloading you probably shouldn't be downloading them in the first place!

It called filesharing for a reason :)

There are a few methods you can try to help not upload certain files but as mentioned no fool proof way.

Ever thought of trying Usenet if you don't want to upload?
Should really think of something to put here.
tay_highfield

Re: Mod question.

Postby IceCube » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:19 pm

LANjackal wrote:
Royce wrote:Hey all!

That wouldn't work. One of the protocol's characteristics is that it forms mini-swarms (a la BT) centered around a particular requested file. So, for example, if you're downloading FileA, the protocol will give priority to those who already possess ANY portion thereof. In case you haven't noticed, partial file sharing is a HUGE part of ED2K/Kad's unmatched retention/availability. Denying it to others is equivalent to a BT client that won't upload = cheating.

To follow-up on what LAN has said, eMule is open source, which means it can be modded in any way, shape or form.

Does that include the ability to download without uploading? Of course. Do mods exist where you can leech? Sure. Unfortunately, if you use any of these mods, you'll find that you'll be quickly blocked by the anti-leeching systems put in place in most, if not, all eMule versions. So your downloading will immediately shrink down to nothing because you end up being blocked by everyone using a non-leeching client.

Even if you find a leeching client that isn't already blocked, it'll only be a matter of time before your client already gets blocked.

As for client spoofing (which is where the client says it's an official eMule or a mod of some sort, that has already been worked around - though I'm not aware of the particulars in this instant) so spoofing will not work either.

So, as said before, finding an eMule client that downloads decently without uploading is like trying to find a device that operates at more than 100% efficiency. It ain't happenin' buddy. :)
IceCube

Postby Andu » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Well you could always just play with the upload priorities. That doesn't mean that those files won't be shared but it does allow you to focus your upload more on certain files. But remember that file priorities only work relative to the others. So if you put all on high then it's the same as putting them all on normal. Only if you set different upload priorities you'll be able to direct the upload where you want to have it.
Andu

Postby IceCube » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:39 pm

that depends entirely on what you are sharing too. If you have 500 legit files, but a demand of, say, 100 at any given time, then you try and download a legit file with 300 sources, 100 of which are asking for parts from you, you'll still end up uploading that file that's in the download queue to a number of these users, no matter how you set the file priority. At least, that's how things played out on my end of things.

Edit: clarification
IceCube

Postby Andu » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Didn't I kind of imply that by saying that he couldn't stop uploading those files? ;)
Andu

Postby IceCube » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:35 pm

True enough. My bad.
IceCube

Return to eMule / kad